I followed the masters advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottywotty

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I just finished patching all my gelcoat holes, nick, gouges, etc. after reading Mr. P. Chunkers techniques. I'ts kind of cold here now but I think they are going to come out real well! I can't wait till tomorrow to see how they turned out! next the sanding begins, Have I ever mentioned how much I hate sanding? I would rather clean the toilets in a public park than sand! I hate it!

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again guys! especially Mr. P. Chunker.

Scotty

part II

Okay, I checked the left over gelcoat in the mixing pot and oddly enough it dried hard and not tacky? the patches under the air tight clear tape was tacky? So, just in case it hadn't gone off yet, I hit each patch w/ the heat gun. It did not change anything, I tried keeping most of the patches covered and a few w/out. Still, no change. However, there was enough material on each so that they were fine when I finished sanding. The Factory Gelcoat is the Sh*#! There were some spots that I guess I didn't gouge out enough(very hard to remove good stuff!) that filled in but didnt finish out invisable, but I'm sure my eye is just a bit to critical.

Scotty

scottywotty":16jmcalb said:
Hey gang,

I just finished patching all my gelcoat holes, nick, gouges, etc. after reading Mr. P. Chunkers techniques. I'ts kind of cold here now but I think they are going to come out real well! I can't wait till tomorrow to see how they turned out! next the sanding begins, Have I ever mentioned how much I hate sanding? I would rather clean the toilets in a public park than sand! I hate it!

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again guys! especially Mr. P. Chunker.

Scotty

Is there a link to an original post (Mr. P. Chunker) regarding this gel coat repair? I would like to read that ans I have some repairs to do. Thanks.

file.php

;)

I have always had a problem with the gel coat drying tacky like you mentioned-did covering it cause that too happen?

You need to cover it in order for it to cure properly, mold realease wax in a preval sprayer works best, you could also put tape or plastic over it or mix surfacing wax in with the gelcoat but I don't reccomend that.

Back