I have a 1987 2520 Sou'Wester that needs repowering...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelboats

Reaction score
It has a Suzuki DT 225 (2-stroke) outboard on an Armstrong model 29 bracket. I'd like to go 4-stroke but I really don't know what this bracket can handle and I'd like to keep itDSC_4253.JPG. The transom seems to have excellent integrity. Anyone else been here?

Modelboats

Reach out to Armstrong customer service. They should be able to provide you with the engineering specs for that model of bracket.

However, if engineering specs are not available, the rule of thumb would be to keep the weight and the horsepower as close to existing as possible.

I am sure the bracket was built for the maximum single engine HP you could get at the time. Which was probably significantly heavier than most of the modern 4S.

Reach out to Armstrong customer service. They should be able to provide you with the engineering specs for that model of bracket.

However, if engineering specs are not available, the rule of thumb would be to keep the weight and the horsepower as close to existing as possible.

Thank you Pelagic. I am waiting to see if Armstrong gets back to me. There is an info plate that gives three options for what I think are accessory attachments for the same basic model. I was wondering if anyone would have had and/or remembered what class the extra support wings, on the top and bottom, would have put it in or if someone knows where to find something stamped on their components.

John

Attachments

• Armstrong m29.jpg
    Armstrong m29.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_2591.JPG
    DSC_2591.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • at the wharf.jpg
    at the wharf.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 48
Thank you, Wejohns. I'd like to think that it would be true....

John
John when I 1st responded I was using my ph and the pics did not open. After looking at the pics on my desktop I would recommend waiting to hear back from Armstrong. The tag gives 3 different HP options and I have do idea what would give it heavy duty or the high performance rating.

what's the weight difference comparing the two

If that was mine?........It would get a new bracket.......Full width swim platform and 30in wide tub.
What you have there, provides No flotation. My idea is flotation and cleaning up the looks of the transom, as well as making it Much more functional.

If that was mine?........It would get a new bracket.......Full width swim platform and 30in wide tub.
What you have there, provides No flotation. My idea is flotation and cleaning up the looks of the transom, as well as making it Much more functional.

Although normally I would like your idea, I am a member of the Antique & Classic Boat Society and I would like to keep everything to stock as much as possible. Although wood is most virtuous in the ACBS, they are grudgingly accepting of vintage glass and I think, and I imagine others here feel, that the 2520 is a truly great and classic design. Ideally, if I could get an original 1987 motor that I could trust I would love it, but the Chesapeake is not always very kind. The ACBS is also somewhat forgiving of new 4-strokes due to the reduction in pollution so that is why I don't want to redo the bracket if I can avoid it.

John

If you are happy with the performance you are getting with 225hp, your lightest option I believe is a Mercury 225.

Options regarding weight
E tech over 530
487 lbs 200 yamaha 4 stroke
496 lbs 225 optimax
numbers right off internet

From Mercury website

Attachments

• B096691F-5D37-4099-8CF6-4B83A4E3969D.png
    B096691F-5D37-4099-8CF6-4B83A4E3969D.png
    421 KB · Views: 6
I'm having difficulty warming up to the "chiseled" look of the new Mercurys and Evinrudes. They look great on an offshore racer, but I'm not sure with a Parker. Do you have experience with them? Yamaha is certainly something I would consider. I have also heard some positive things about Tohatsu, but they definitely weigh more. Also, although I have been very happy at 225hp, which gives me a top speed of around 36 knots, I don't know how much of loss a 200 would be? I would consider it if the loss was not too great.

I think the new Mercury 4 strokes are good motors, but can’t speak from experience. I have a 1998 Mercury 225 EFI, and would like to re- power and am concerned about weight. My research showed that of all current production motors, the Mercury was the lightest 225 hp. Evinrude is no longer making outboards. Tohatsu 225 is a re- badged Honda. I had a Honda 225 on a 27 Judge and it was flawless, but I think they are in the neighborhood of 580 lbs.

As for the Yamaha 200, it’s an in line 4 and I think it would be under powered.

Options regarding weight
E tech over 530
487 lbs 200 yamaha 4 stroke
496 lbs 225 optimax
numbers right off internet

ETeh is No more....

It's pretty simple if you have a dealer network.....Suzuki 300. Swings a Bigger prop, Lower gear ratio....Fly by wire available....Timing Chain....[not a belt] Quieter than a Yamaha.

He’s trying to keep the weight the same so he doesn’t have to change the bracket. Suzuki is 600 lbs. The current motor only weighs 470 lbs. New Mercury 225 is 475 lbs.

Back