In Deck Fishbox?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a lighter note...
My dad's old ProLine had a few in-deck fish boxes. For whatever reason he once left a box of squid in one from May until striper season started in October! My dad is a very tough SOB but when he opened that box for the first time in 5 months, the smell of liquified squid made him instantly puke! Kind of like the smell when a cat snuck into a shaft we were rebuilding for a ship one time. We capped the ends and heated the shaft for a few days. When we uncapped, the shop had to be evacuated and HAZMAT was called in! It was like cat yogurt that smelled terribly! :shock:

Unfortunately, above deck fish boxes can and do have the same issue. This summer my boys forgot to remove some herring we were using for chunk from the fish box. Was out of town the next weekend and the boat sat in the hot summer sun for two weeks with a few dozen herring in the box.

Watching my boys puke over the side while cleaning it out was one of the true joys of parenthood! Went through a gallon of bleach to get the stink out.

I carry a fish bag and keep it in the cockpit. It is always in the way.
I wish I had one. If nothing else but a place to put my beer.

We had the option on our 2005 2520 D.V. P/H for the in floor fish box, and opted not to get it. Big mistake!! We found out real quick on long overnite runs for tuna, the added ice / fish capacity would have been a huge bonus. We have ended trips early for lack of space to put more fish and or ice capacity. Not to mention deck space is eaten up quick with the necessity to carry 50 gallons of extra fuel, a 270, 160, 120, and 70 qt. on these trips. With 400 lbs. of ice, full gear and 5 guys, not having the 270 qt in the middle of the deck would have been a super nice thing. LIVE AND LEARN! We make the best out of what we purchased, and fish the hell out of it in The Gulf Of Mexico. Sam J. boat name: "The Tripple J."

i put a big Yeti 400 qt. right in the middle of the cockpit anchored to the floor. The thing is awesome it doubles as a cutting table as per cutting board i screwwed on top and on the helm side i screwwed in rod holders for up to six rods and room for knives and pliers,. The cooler itself holds ice for ten days, yes ten days. I had boats with fish boxes and they suck to clean at the end of the day, i pack it full with ice on canyon trips and as fish com aboard they packed in transom box til full then i start packing Yeti, easily 12-15 80-100lb yellowfin iced. Wouldnt take anymore anyway. ps ...when me and the wife are rafting up it doubles as a table to entertain

Sounds like you have a good set-up, with the large Yetti. I'll check it out. I know we are going to replace the storage box under our bench seat, with a 162qt, utilizing the cooler as the base to mount the bench cushion to. This will eliminate one of the coolers. Thanks, Sam J.

Back