In Deck Fishbox?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the option of in-deck fish boxes and opted not to have them. Here is my take from having them on previous boats.

They always fill with water after rains. Either they drain overboard with a macerator or in the bildge. If you have a macerator water will freeze in it and break the macerators or they will clog from time to time with leaves, scales, etc. If they drain to the bildge, your bildge will stink like fish and you better keep check on your pumps and have pleanty them. The bildge pumps can also clog with with more stuff too.

Give me above deck fish boxes. :wink:

Just my preference!

I had the option of an indeck box on my 2320 and chose to have one. I really like it and as far as ice and draining-no problem. I trailer the boat so draining it is a gift from me to the ramp, I just unscrew the plug. I put 60-100#'s of ice in and an all day tuna trip in our cool water, still have tuna on ice at the end of the day.

The drains have always worked well when hosing the deck and lifting the lid/falling in is a non-issue.

There is no way I could get 15-20 30# tuna in the transom box. I keep food in the transom box.

BTW, when I toured the plant Boat Girl said it was more of an east coast/west coast thing. Like the high/low bow rails, and from an aftermarket perspective, our "real" bait tanks.

JW

I'm with B-Faithful on this subject. One of the things I LOVE about my boat is the lack of a macerator or any means except gravity to drain any cooler/fishbox. My transom box holds a 160 lb tuna no problem.

My buddy's Regulator 23 has the bait well and fish boxes in the floor. What a pain in the ass. (great ride, though!) The only thing he uses the forward fish box for is rod, canvas, lines and bumper storage. Even then, it's a pain to get to them.

He has replaced or rebuilt his macerators at least three times in the last two seasons.

You can't optimize for everything, so I prefer to optimize for simplicity of maintenance.

FishFactory":ouwq2950 said:
? for yer "in deck fishboxers"......When chasing a big king, dolphin, wahoo around the boat....waiting for the final death run...do you open the floor box first and try to jump over it or land fish on deck (making a big, slick, slimey mess) and risk gettin' bit ?

The fish come on deck, under control of the gaff man. Box is opened, fish released. Salwater washdown solves the slimey mess part.... DONE. NEXT.

B-Faithful":1ak0krz6 said:
I had the option of in-deck fish boxes and opted not to have them. Here is my take from having them on previous boats.

They always fill with water after rains. Either they drain overboard with a macerator or in the bildge. If you have a macerator water will freeze in it and break the macerators or they will clog from time to time with leaves, scales, etc. If they drain to the bildge, your bildge will stink like fish and you better keep check on your pumps and have pleanty them. The bildge pumps can also clog with with more stuff too.

Give me above deck fish boxes. :wink:

Just my preference!

It's a design issue. For example my buddy has a Mirage (made in FL) that has self contained in deck boxes. Each box (one on port and starboard) has it's OWN screened drain plug. No macerators. Removing the plug drains into the bilge and it has one of those non reverse bubble things ( sorry, don't know what they are called ) that allows water to travel OUT but not IN.

So, if you have leaves in your closed deck box, something else is wrong.

If he gets fish scales that are blocking the drain plug, he uses this really handy tool called "his hand" and removes them. If he needs to drain the water from the box, he just gets on plane and removes the plug.

In deck fish box on the 1997 2310 walk around. Only problem with the gravity drain is that it sits on the water line so I have to check it for cracks all the time and make sure the hose is on good and tight. Wouldn’t want that one to fall off. Well worth having the fish box on the floor and not needing any pumps or letting blood drain into the bilge.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,121
FishFactory":2mgr4njo said:
I guess it wouldn't be possible for you "fish box in the floorers" to fish outta this...............Carolina Custom :lol:

You know what...You're right. Maybe I need to buy a Carolina Custom... :roll:

Lorikay, Nice fish box. The bad part about gravity fed boxes is that the box needs to be high in the hull which means either a step up in the hull somewhere or a high deck that many times means not being able to reach the water from the cockpit. I also would prefer not to have a thru hull below the water line. (I am a guy who closes my sea cocks when not in use though)

No matter how nice the gutters and seals are, they can be more maintenance. However they can be a good space saving layout tool for either big fish or boats that want or need to maximize deck space. I just prefer not to have them in my boat. Of course others are free to disagree.

Lorikay that is nice. Thanks for posting the pics. I think even if you did not have a drain and emptied it by hand it would still be a bonus. Looks like a pretty even split so maybe they could make one an option at least.

mark":2hp88lgf said:
Lorikay that is nice. Thanks for posting the pics. I think even if you did not have a drain and emptied it by hand it would still be a bonus. Looks like a pretty even split so maybe they could make one an option at least.

If you are using it for storage, i.e. lines, fenders, tackle...MAYBE at best

I would never put a fish or any type of bait in a compartment I could not tip over to wash out or pull a plug on to drain.

what about the kind with a removable insert that lifts out and can be tipped, drained and washed that way? solves the problem of drainage and cleaning, and if youre willing to make the hatch a bit bigger, you can add an inch of insulation all the way around built into the insert.

pelagic2530":15giba7j said:
what about the kind with a removable insert that lifts out and can be tipped, drained and washed that way? solves the problem of drainage and cleaning, and if youre willing to make the hatch a bit bigger, you can add an inch of insulation all the way around built into the insert.

Haha, yes, those are definitly good.

Debating in deck fish boxes while in my Evidence law class - nothing better!

I mean really, couldnt you wash,then pump out most of the water with a manual bilge type pump and pick up what little is left with a towel? Thats if you didnt want some type of electric pump. I dont really think it is all that hard to figure something out if you thought about it. I understand some of you guys wouldnt have one but come on.

yes you could do alot of things to clean out the in deck box. I had them in my last boat and i thank god everytime i clean my boat that i dont have them anymore. So much easier to clean without them. I would prefer my boats from now on to have fish boxes above deck that can drain overboard. I think a main reason why parker does not have in deck fish boxes is because of the large room out back people use it differnet ways. I have seen people with seats mounted out back, livewells, bait stations, dive racks (thats me) so depending on what people want to do with the boat the in deck fishbox might be in the way.

FishFactory":1w1vjg41 said:
Some of us think it's a bad idea to let fish lay in water (my Parker didn't even come with a fish box plug).

Others think it's a bad idea to drain fish guts, scales, blood, regirgitated bait and chum into bilge pump.

what about brining fish? i guess maybe thats a northern thing, but up here, most captains on overnighters or even long day trips will create an ice/salt/saltwater slurry to keep the fish extra cold.

It is obvious the guys that dont like them will come up with any reason not to have one and the guys who like them (me and others) will come up with any reason to have one. IMO Parker is missing out on a part of the market that thinks they have a place on these boats by not even offering it as an option. Wont help me but it might sell a few more boats. That way the guys that hate them dont have to have them but the guys who want one can get it. Can we at least agree on that?
Have a good night

Was just wondering why Parker does not have indeck fish boxes in their boats (2520 or 2530 at least)?

Was the original question. The answer was given some didnt like it and continued on why they thought they should have it. So the ones who get why Parker doesnt have it have been responding. If people really want it spend the money after and have one put in not a big deal.

mark":g3k61yhd said:
It is obvious the guys that dont like them will come up with any reason not to have one and the guys who like them (me and others) will come up with any reason to have one. IMO Parker is missing out on a part of the market that thinks they have a place on these boats by not even offering it as an option. Wont help me but it might sell a few more boats. That way the guys that hate them dont have to have them but the guys who want one can get it. Can we at least agree on that?
Have a good night

I'm sure it has something to do with 95% of us not having them, so naturally a little defensive. We have a grady white with them and I am sure I would be quick to defend them if the grady was the topic of discussion...

Damn Brad, cant even be open enough to agree that it could be an option. You know I own a Parker to and as such am as much a customer as you. I believe my input is just as worthy as yours even if you dont agree. I can see why you would not want one but you dont give the other side of the coin any due. The origanal question was why, and now I know it isnt structural and to tell the truth all the "reasons" they dont have them are made by guys who dont want one. I guess the real answer is a simple " they dont offer one and if you want one buy a different boat" Make more sense the anything else I heard.

Its not that im not open to the idea but would you expect regulator to offer no in deck storage? bottom line is Parker boats are a mass produced boat not custom. They are known for simplicity. Two boats that are identical except for in deck storage the boat with the in deck storage would be more expensive. So if they were both an a dealers lot the cheaper one would probably sell more often. Alternatively it would cost more for Parker to add the storage so it wouldnt make sense to have them be the same price. I do agree that it could be an option however it would have to be a decision made at the beginning of the build process. If they did it they should make a longer centerline tank and have two boxes one on each side of the cockpit.

Back