installing decals

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottywotty

Reaction score
Ok, so now that I have all my new decals I am asking the elders yet again for more help! First, I need to know exactly where they go on the hull(pictures would be great :lol: ) and then how is it done? I have heard that some guys use soapy water spray and then when you finally get it in place squeegee out the water and it sticks w/ the adhesive that is already on it. Measurements would be great. I suppose I could email Robin or Eric they might help out, but you guys are the greatest so I thought I'd start here first>

Thanks for all help thus far everyone!

Scotty :lol:

I NEVER use soapy water. Here’s what I do:

1) Make SURE your decal provider squares the top of the decal backing to the decal itself. If not square it up yourself – this is your datum. I also like to have at least a 1” blank space at the top of the decal, but sometimes your vendor doesn’t do this or you might need to position it up ‘tighter’ to wherever you’re going to affix the decal, but try for some ‘blank border’.
2) I turn the decal over and fold back on itself ½” of the top backing. Nice and square and with a firm crease.
3) Now align the decal square to the boat, position where needed, and secure the top band of the decal with 3M blue tape and rub it down well.
4) Then, wherever I can, I will cut vertical lines [between letters ;) ] up from the bottom to “almost to the top” of the decal, making sure to leave the top ‘blank header’ intact, but making sure to cut through the backing all the way. Sharp pointy scissors work great here! Remember, you’ll be pulling down on the backing, pulling it away to expose the decal, but you need to leave the top band of the top-part of the decal intact, as this sets your squareness and holds it all together.
5) Then I start at one end or the other, pull down on the backing WHILE you use a plastic squeegee scraper to force the decal from the backing to the hull. Go slow and never pull the decal backing away to fast. You want that tape border hold the decal square and correct for positioning, while slowly transferring the decal to the hull.
6) By doing so, I will rarely get air bubbles, but if you do, STOP and use patience. Work them to the closest edge and get a hair dryer set on warm, and sometimes this helps to smooth it out a bit – warm, NOT hot.
7) Note – hot temps above 70-deg F can create problems if the decal material is too this … as it will stretch. If you peel backing away (straight down) while using the scrape to force down the decal, then it won’t pull at all.

Works for me!

... I don't have that model so I cannot comment on placement ...

i have installed quite a few names/decals on boats. there are probably many different ways to do it. i learned the method i use from a guy who does it for a living in St Pete.

step 1 measure and decide the approx location of decal.
step 2 mark the area lightly with a couple of brackets using a grease pencil. step back and check the location again.
step 3 clean the area with solvent of your choice to remove wax etc. (don't remove grease pencil brackets).
step 4 use a spray bottle with a mix of water and a very small amount of clear dish soap liquid to spray down the area. squeegee the area clean.
step 5 spray liberally with the spray bottle again and then affix the decal (wax paper and all) to the location within the brackets.
step 6 for about 15 seconds you will be able to slide/move/adjust the decal to the precise location if needed.
step 7 after you are happy with the location, use a credit card, or the provided squeegee that came with the decal, to begin pushing out the water/soap mix. the decal is still under the wax paper so you can be fairly aggressive.
step 8 after waiting about 20-30 minutes, start at a corner and gently pull the wax paper away. the decal should remain stuck to the gelcoat and the wax paper should peel away clean. if not, then let sit a little longer and squeegee it a little more.
step 9 check for bubbles. they will go away over time on their own, but at this point you can use the spray bottle to wet the area and gently squeegee out any bubbles. afterwards......the sun/heat is your friend. after about a week, wax the area.

having said all that, i peel off the Parker decals and pin stripes off the hulls of my boats because they tend to get marred up by the dock. boat looks good with or without the decals...........less headache without them IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 461
I shudda mentioned to clean/prep the hull first ... :oops:

web.jpg

Hi Guys!

It's me again, So, I want to get these decals on the boat and I need to start laying them out, I have a couple of quick questions.
1) How far from the stern does the large Parker decal start going forward?
2) How far below the rub rail is the top of the same decal?
3) same info for the smaller ones on the wheel house.
4) How far forward does the pin striping go on both upper and lower?

I think the pin stripe looks like it goes paralel to the rub rail and the ridge just below the slider windows. Is that correct?
Oh and it might help if I tell you guys I have a 1991 2520 SCDV.

Thanks a million, you guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scotty

Back