installing new stereo

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatdrinks

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm installing a basic 2 speaker and head unit stereo on my 2012 21SE. I have a spare switch for my spreader lights that I have no intention of using in the future so I believe I will get power from there. My GPS is wired from the accessory switch. Can I just mimic the way that's wired for the head unit as far as power is concerned?

I should add that I know this is a dumb question I just haven't done it in a while and want to be sure.

. Can I just mimic the way that's wired for the head unit as far as power is concerned?

Yes....But WHY?

What your doing would be like going in your bedroom and having to turn 2 switches on to turn the light ON.

There should be a Master switch to disconnect /connect power to your fuse panel. From the fuse panel...[With the inline fuse removed and proper size fuse installed in the panel] the power wire leads on to the load...or in your case the radio.

The radio has it's own ON/OFF switch. Highly recommend Fusion for a Super solid Marine radio.

because I have an extra switch that I'm never going to use and it's an easy place to get power for the head unit

do it right the first time and go to the fuse panel, but yes you could do it that but you would still have to run the ground wire to ur panel. notice the ground wire for the switches is a very small gauge because its meant to bring ground to the tiny light on ur switch

Actually "another" ground does NOT go to the switch panel.

The Ground comes from the radio Ground wire and to a Buss bar that has all the Grounds on it.

This is the original GND buss bar. It has since been replaced with a Blue seas unit.

100_4060.jpg

I would also not connect to the switch. Go straight to the buss bar or fuse block. The hot or "Red" for the stereo should have an inline fuse already. If you tie into a fuse block at a fuse position that's fine too. Two fuses is fine and I don't think will be an issue. Just knowing you will have to check both if chasing a problem.

But that just ads clutter to a wiring system....Fuse protect it with 1 fuse thru the fuse block.

Back