is the gunnel rod holder strong enough to pull small crab hoops?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Found this photo and thought it's a good idea. I don't want to drill holes on the deck of the boat. The hoops I'm pulling are only 14lbs even full of crabs I dont' think it'll be more than 30lbs of weight.
1667453775133.png

Found this photo and thought it's a good idea. I don't want to drill holes on the deck of the boat. The hoops I'm pulling are only 14lbs even full of crabs I dont' think it'll be more than 30lbs of weight.
View attachment 34936
You’ll be just fine with that weight. I would suggest investing in a backing plate for your rod holders, to spread the load out and ensure that the fasteners don’t loosen up over time.

You’ll be just fine with that weight. I would suggest investing in a backing plate for your rod holders, to spread the load out and ensure that the fasteners don’t loosen up over time.
Thankis, that's not a bad idea. I won't be pulling pots too often hence I don't want anything permanent. I have 6 pots and will probably pull them two to 3 times an outing and probably only go out a few days a month during the season. I don't see me using this more than 20 days a out of the year.

Like Pdog suggested, backing plates with through-bolts are in order. May as well do them all while you are in there.

I would also be inclined to protect my gunwale. Maybe car fender protectors, with a hole to lock it to the bottom of the mast?

That looks like a good idea. I'll be curious to hear all the answers.
I don't deal with crab hoops, but that could be useful for retrieving dive gear. As we get older we will need to look for ways to make it easier to comeback on board.

Back