is this a classic parker member?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B-Faithful":3de68x1y said:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/214337-disabled-23-boat-60mile-off-cape-may.html

i know the skipper of the northstar express. dont know the boat tho..

lol

is this a classic parker member?

Possibly, but just as possibly not for long. The way it's being painted in the news, it wasn't the wisest of nautical decisions a skipper could have made.

Maybe they just spun it because of the Florida incident, it's not like the press reports facts anymore, but it does seem a tad reckless on the face of it.

The Northstar is a head boat out of Ocean City,NJ
He's a pretty good tog fisherman,he does alot of offshore sea bass trips as well.

PAUL BARRIS, CAPTAIN OF THE NORTHSTAR EXPRESS, CARRIED ANTHONY MONIKA AS A PASSENGER ON JAN. 20,1998. ANTHONY CAUGHT THE IGFA WORLD RECORD TOG OF 25 POUNDS THAT DAY. THE RECORD STILL STANDS.

I would not consider this guy nuts at all like most people did. I have the same boat, a 21SE. I have made the crossing to the Bahamas 100s of times, 60 miles. A Parker is like a tank, bathtub or whatever you want to call it. Anyone here ever been in a major storm in a 21 Parker? Ever had the unfortunate 30 mile winds pop up and seen white water all around the boat? If you have you would know that when you hit a wave in this boat the bow just pops up, I have never had a wave come over the bow. There has been the occasional time that the bow did slide down a wave making the boat turn, but to much weight up front caused this. It’s not like anyone plans on the weather changing like it does sometimes. But I have had the joy of watching a 30ft open fishermen with big twins pull up to me near Orange Cay and ask “where can I buy fuel around here?” I had to tell them to drift north over night and then they could make it to the fuel dock. For those who don’t know, there’s no fuel for at least 70 miles in any direction. I know it sounds nutty and all, but growing up out there this just doesn’t seem to bother me. In my older age I must say that it dang sure wears on me though, so I am in the market for a steal on a 2520. I plan on keeping my 21 for my son, reason being it’s a safe boat.
It was just an engine problem. They were able to handle their business. Today more and more I see guys knocking others about not running a larger boat with twin outboards or even triples. Before the GPS and all the electronics most of the people on the water today would not go out of sight of land. And that being said most of them couldn’t make a trip without these electronics, want to show some seamanship? Just use your compass for your next trip to the Islands or wherever your fishing grounds are. Last summer I had some business to do in Nassau so I took my boat. I then told my daughter who was 13 to look a chart over with me then figure out what headings to take. She got it all written down and off we went. She got us there in 5 hours, didn’t miss a beat….

There is a big difference I believe in where you are and where these guys are. I have been in bigger boats offshore and have had water running off the winshields. My father saw this story and and said he remembers leaving the dock in the morning when the waters were fairly calm and had water rolling off the windshield of a 45 Hatteras by afternoon. Unfortuanately with open boats like CC's and walkarounds, that water goes on the deck. A few nose dips in big seas and the boat can shed water fast enough so it becomes unstable. I have been off on a CC sea craft and had the cockpit fill with water during the summer. I was holding onto the console with one hand and a cooler that was in the bow with the other to prevent it from floating out. Heck I was in gw204's high-bowed grady sailfish and we were in the chesapeake taking some water over the bow one trip.... (yes we shouldnt have been out)

Now we are also talking about water in the upper 30's to low 40's, colder air temp, and a time of year where we get repeated blasts of cold fronts that can give higher winds (that is why March is known as "the windy month" and kite flying is popular). Combine that with the fact that the boat traffic is very light at times out there and communication with another boater should that be needed might be difficult to find. At over 60 miles from any land, he isnt going to reach emergency services with a vhf either. (That guy was luck for a head boat in the area. ) I certainly am not saying that a small cabin boat with a single should be out there either but should the winds kick up and they end up with spray and a 4-5 hour ride home with no weather protection, hypothermia can get the man who isnt in the water too. I just think they are crazy to be out there deep dropping in a small open boat with a single this time of year regardless of what brand of boat or how many electronics you have. It certainly would be a run I may consider in a single powered open boat in the summer when weather patterns are more stable, temperatures are more surviveable and provided we had a buddy boat.

Back