keep an eye out there guys...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

i've had a few guys send me some pics of potential problems on their rigs this past week...one of these guys was a friend of dale's...these boats all have a common problem,it appears water has migrated into structual areas...read that as stringers and transoms are compromised...that's how it appears...all of these boats belong to members of this board,i'm giving no names and no more details,as per boat owners requests...i would reccomend you guys take a good look in the bilge areas of your boats,look for what would appear to be "rust" stains...look around,if you see any,take a few pics and describe the area where the stain can be found...one of these boats,a surveyor buddy of mine sent me the pics,for my opinion...2 of these boats were late model boats,a 25,'07 model a 21,04' model...so,like i said,go take a look at your rigs...

Jimmy, I'm attempting to attach a pic of my bilge area. I noticed just such a stain near the livewell pump ball-valve a couple of weeks ago. Does this look like what you're describing? It's a 2002 1801 hull that was kept in the water for more than half the year every season by the previous owner, up until last year. I will be trailering it from this season on. Do you think the damage starts from a wet bilge, or from the wet underside. I guess what I'm asking is, will the growth of such a problem cease if the boat is not kept in the water for more than a day?

Jim

Attachments

• P3020049 (Medium).JPG
    P3020049 (Medium).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,952
Are there any common denominators i.e. model of boat or similar modifications that may have been done? How about where the boats are stored? This is interesting due to the fact that I am about to commit to bottom paint and slip storage this year. Would a barrier coat prevent this? Any insight would help.

Jersey Jim, I'd replace that Racor mounting head with a SS version. MUCH nicer. And no corrosion. :wink:

jljj":39mdatio said:
Are there any common denominators i.e. model of boat or similar modifications that may have been done? How about where the boats are stored? This is interesting due to the fact that I am about to commit to bottom paint and slip storage this year. Would a barrier coat prevent this? Any insight would help.

it's cored areas inside the hull...a barrier coat will not effect this in any way shape or form...the rust stain in that pic,that's not what i'm talking about...look at the stringers and the transom areas,look for what appears to be rust stains ...take a look...

when i stated cored areas inside the hull...i wasn't referring to the hull...i'm talking about encapsulated wood inside the boat,transom,stringers,decks...

Jersey Jim, check out this Racor mounting base. 8)

Pics192Small.jpg

96TL, I like it! Is that who makes my aluminum filter-base, Racor? Tell me about that sight-glass under your filter/separator. Is that to see and bleed off water? And if so, is there a float inside that indicates water?

And Jimmy, that rust stain under the ball valve is from something leaching out from under the hard outer coating. There is some sort of a ding in the coating right at the center of the dark stain. Can you post any pics indicating to what degree of damage should be of concern?

Thanks, Jim

That base will fit either the Yamaha fuel/water seperating filter, or the Parker (not Parker Marine) fuel/water seperating filter. The clear bottom is to drain out any water in the fuel that was filtered out. You can actually see the water at the bottom of the bowl, but it hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood).

Jimmy,

Are these boats trailered? Could the weight of the motor cause this type of failure in the transom area?

Jersey Jim:

The rust stain on the inside of you hull is not rot as the hull is solid glass there. Grind out the imperfection and dab some gelcoat and it will look good as new.

As far rot in the transom, on full transom models the only areas that I have seen where water could even possible penetrate is via the short screws that Parker uses for their zip ties and other components screwed into the inside of the transom. They don't seem to have any sealant on them.

On mine I simply backed out anything screwed in and dabbed a little 5200 on the screw and reinserted.

I know a lot of guys with Parkers and have not yet seen any evidence of rot in the transom or otherwise. Not saying that Jimmy has not discovered rot.....just that I have not seen any. Would love to see some pics to try to figure out the issue.

jim

Pictures and evidence please. And they need to be clear and unambiguous. I've seen too many claims of all kinds, against all kinds of boats/manufacturers on multiple sites, where the pictures are of dubious quality. Causes lots of consternation without proving anything or being of value.

Until I start seeing pics, this thread is in the BS category for me.

Dave

aka

jimmy's marine service":2tfky3fl said:
it's cored areas inside the hull...

Parker does not use coring in their hulls.
Parkers are solid fiberglass.
This post has no merit.

To clarify ... one owner appears to be having a problem with a crack that is on the stringer, not the transom. Until we know more information - everything is sheer speculation - which does none of us any good. Jim's point is valid though ... check YOUR bilge area.

FWIW, I am quite sure such instances have hit all hull makers at one time or another.

Guys, give me another day or two, I'll fill everyone in.

I don't want this to turn into a "let's bash the company" thread and I do not want speculation to run a marathon. Even a Mercedes Benz ends up on a flat bed from time to time. We all own boats, sheeeet happens. We learn to live with it, otherwise we would not be boat owners. We deal with it and move forward, that's the price we pay for the passion we live.

I am the original owner of a 1999 2520 MVSC and anything I've ever needed, Robin and/or Eric were quick to respond.

Has anyone seen the 2520 wiring PDF diagram thread? I've been sending that out to those who ask? That came from Robin and Eric years go, just hours after I emailed them with a question. Same goes for that little black plastic slider piece under the Captain's chair. Two years ago I emailed Robin, simply asking who made the chair so I could contact the manufacturer and get that piece. She asked me to send her a photo of it so she can understand which part I was talking about. Next day, a Fed Ex truck pulls into my driveway, 6 replacement parts (I only needed 2).

I do have a stringer problem, I'll explain it soon. Maybe everyone can learn from it. Isn't that what this board was created for? I hope I can continue to help people out and we can all learn from our experiences.

Tim

I hope your boat gets fixed quickly Tim. Good luck with the process. I'm sure Parker will take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back