keep an eye out there guys...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Megabyte":1duv33x9 said:
jimmy's marine service":1duv33x9 said:
it's cored areas inside the hull...

Parker does not use coring in their hulls.
Parkers are solid fiberglass.
This post has no merit.

transoms are cored,decks are cored,hard tops are cored...hull sides and the hull's bottom are not cored...reread what i originally posted...

i didn't spell out who belongs to the boats...i didn't post any pics,due to the fact all the owners asked me not to post the pics...i didn't name anyone,due to the fact,owners asked not to be named...
all the pics emailed to me asking for advice,the boat's have a problem,and it's not good...please try not to doubt me guys,i'm not "bashing"...man i hate that word !!! i'm pointing out something i've seen,and it's a potential source of problems,if i can help someone avoid a serious problem,i'll make the attempt...take it for what it's worth...remember this,"don't shoot the messenger"... :wink: :wink:

i've seen very few problems with the parker hulls,i believe they're built pretty well,much better than some real big name mfg's,but these guys are not above having problems...most of the transom problems are caused by installing transducers and not sealing the holes correctly,the scupper tubes are another source of problems,these corrode,the end result is a transom full of water,same deal for the swim platforms... decks are pretty much the same as transoms,quite a few people install somehting down on the deck and not seal it correctly,end result...rotting...
remember all these things...pay attention to what you're doing when you mount something,be sure to properly seal the screws...
remember,if it's wood,it's gonna rot...

and i appriciate the offer from the gentleman who stated "post a pic and let's see if we can figure out what's wrong"..i'm the guy people call when there's a problem,so i think i've got that covered... :wink: :wink:

pelagic2530":3cwqufv5 said:
idk guys, jimmy generally knows what he's talking about. he's usually worth listening to (unless its about restaurants) :wink: how ya doin, jim?
i'm doing very well,as usual...
"generally knows what he's talking about"??? not sure what that's supposed to mean....tim's boat was one of the boats i was referring to...pics of it were sent to me from a surveyor,for my advice...the other boats,the owners sent me the pics...if i post something,you can believe it's true...the name of my buisness is on everything i write...

Tim - I hope you get the problem resolved as soon as possible. Good luck and keep us informed. Thanks for the heads up. If possible let us know what we should be looking for or what we should be concerned about.

I have always wondered how the scupper tubes are sealed through the transom. I know Boat Girl is following this thread........Robin, how are those scuppers sealed? I am completely comfortable with all the other construction methods. Thanks.

jim

grouperjim":34kva6yh said:
I have always wondered how the scupper tubes are sealed through the transom. I know Boat Girl is following this thread........Robin, how are those scuppers sealed? I am completely comfortable with all the other construction methods. Thanks.

jim

this is how i like to see scupper tubes installed...

i drill the hole,using a hole saw,larger than the size of the hole i need...i then fill that hole with west system epoxy mixed with 403 adhesive additive...before filling,i wet the wood with plain west system...after the epoxy kicks,i drill the hole the proper size i need,then i use pvc tube,it's cut to fit,and it's slightly tapered on the ends,i coat the inside of the tube with either grease,or pva,this keep the epoxy from kicking inside the tube...

101_1736_Small_.JPG

101_1735_Small_.JPG

101_1739_Small_.JPG

this is what i use for a "flapper",i make these up using a mold,these are made from glass,doing this,will prevent water entering the boat when you back up...

101_1891_Small_1.jpg

i do the same thing for garboard plugs when i recore a transom...here's the reasoning,if the tube fails,the transom core is protected by epoxy,which is water proof...there's no way for the transom core to become water saturated from this area...

here's another thing you guys need to pay attention to...i keep seeing these boats painted incorrectly...using copper based antifouling paint on an aluminum outboard bracket is asking for trouble...it's gonna cause a severe galvanic reaction...there's a reason tin based paint has been invented,it's to save aluminum...
here's what happens to the outboard bracket after it's been painted with copper based antifouling paint...

101_1313_Small_2_.jpg

not good huh ??? notice the areas of erosion ??? this is the effect of galvanic reactions...the bracket is pourous,and it needs to be replaced,it's filled with sea water... pay attention to this,it's gonna cost you a fortune in the long run...tri liux antifouling paint needs to be used on any and all aluminum surfaces,the copperbased antifouling paint on the hull,there needs to be a gap of at least 1" between that paint and the tin based paint...all these little things matter.... :wink:

Never paint copper anti fouling over the bare bracket. When I had the hull of my boat painted I had four coats of epoxy paint painted on the hull and bracket and then followed up with two coats of ablative anti fouling paint.

This guy's a Parker basher. He posted a few years ago, may have even been on pilothouse.org. Doesn't anyone remember?

This thread is closed.

I allowed this thread to continue as I am aware of those 2 boats. But I was waiting for Parker and a noted, professional marine surveyor to respond first to the owners - with a FULL diagnosis - and will NOT accept suppositions from from anyone else here or even 'armchair quarterbacks the day before the game is even played out'.

Name me a product without ever a problem and I'll give you a million dollars. But to create a stir of the 'sky is falling' before we know the FACTS is not desired on these forums.

Update 13Mar08:

Once aware of a rot issue on the end of a stringer on a Parker boat, the owner and I settled upon the following course of action. We intended to post pictures and history of the 'issue', with analysis, input, and/or diagnosis obtained from Parker Marine. This would be supported by additional pictures showing the diagnosis, problem area treatment, and then resultant cure. But only once it was resolved - and NOT beforehand.

I firmly believe that this approach would have been of more benefit to Parker Owners and the collective membership of Classic Parker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back