Life of a Yami F 150

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
As the 7th season winds down with my 2120 I was wondering how long my F 150 should last. I presently have approx 1500 hours and it has been professionally maintained. I do venture off about 40-60 miles looking for tuna during the summer and have always felt confident in my engine. Should I consider a repower at this point or will my 150 turn 4-5 thousand hours before I should be concerned?

A friend of mine owns a boat rental business and routinely gets 4-5k hours out of his fleet of 150s. i have also read a US Navy report that got 9,000 hours out of an F150, although i was unable to find it. i had one on my Key West 2020 and sold it with 2K and had no problems ever.

Good Luck

Thank you, seems 4-5 is what I am hearing. I got the counter balance shafts done last winter under warranty. I was considering re-powering up to a 200 if the price was right,but this engine has been good to me.

I just turned 1000 with mine and I'm hoping to get at least 2000. It runs great but if I do replace it I think I'll jump up to the 200 HP also.

Steve

Sitting is the worse thing for a motor....Sounds like yours don't sit much with that year and that many hours.

I know of a Yamaha on a shrimp boat with 7600 hours on it,
one water pump and one stator plate.

Strong motors

As the 7th season winds down with my 2120 I was wondering how long my F 150 should last. I presently have approx 1500 hours and it has been professionally maintained. I do venture off about 40-60 miles looking for tuna during the summer and have always felt confident in my engine. Should I consider a repower at this point or will my 150 turn 4-5 thousand hours before I should be concerned?

Lucky John,

We have two yamaha's with plus 7200 hrs on them and they keep on going, you'll blow the lower unit before anything happens to the motor. Slap another lower unit on when it happens and keep on going. The first lower unit we lost was at about 5800 hrs and that's running the piss out of them. Yes, we had replaced the upper and lower seals on the unit, but that's no big deal. These motors are bullet proof, regular oil changes, filter changes and the required maintenance is all they need.

Like I've said this engine has been good to me. All the regular maintence is done and really a breeze now is changing the oil with a good extractor.

That is a interference motor. You should be thinking of a timing Belt change with those hours on it.

What's a Non- interference motor? If the timing belt sheds a cog or breaks the motor just rolls to a Stop.

What's a Interference motor? If the timing belt sheds a cog or breaks BAM! The valves hit the pistons and bend them.

warthog5":2tdfhhsj said:
That is a interference motor. You should be thinking of a timing Belt change with those hours on it.

What's a Non- interference motor? If the timing belt sheds a cog or breaks the motor just rolls to a Stop.

What's a Interference motor? If the timing belt sheds a cog or breaks BAM! The valves hit the pistons and bend them.
Good point. I'll get that done in spring before I re launch. When do you usually change out a timing belt around 1000 hours?

We changed ours a couple years ago -yamaha gives X amount years or X Hours. We hit years first since we bought the boat with only 79 hours on it. We probably only had 300+/- hours in 2010 when they were changed. I think Yamaha says 5 years and I am not sure of how many hours.

Back