Lori K gets a new tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
1. Smelled gas after filling the tank and getting underway.
2. Checked fittings, gaskets, and hoses, found no leaks
3. Suspected tank leaks, but no way to confirm.
4. Cut out deck to try to confirm. Unfortunately only about 5/8" clearance all around the tank, which was foamed in. Dug out some of the foam at the stern and found it saturated with water and black.

Last week we hauled the boat out at the local (one and only) boat works where it is up on blocks

Friday they pulled the tank (after draining the 50 gallons that were in there at a cost to us of ~$10/gallon hazardous waste removal fee - another "cost of life" in California)

Just went down and looked at the boat; It is a MESS

Here’s a bunch of photos and a movie from this morning:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bb8n4y14cg77 ... khCLa?dl=0

I should note that you're looking at the pictures of the tank with the aft end facing the camera. The right side of the tank is the starboard side, and the boat has always listed pretty hard to starboard while at rest. This probably explains why the corrosion is heavier on that side of the tank.

Note that the spacers/pads under the tank on each side are adhered to the hull with fiberglass mats that have separated from the hull and have a lot of water under them (you can see it weeping out).

The tank coffin foam was TOTALLy saturated with water - probably carrying 50+ extra pounds of weight back there.

The pie tins leak BADLY - especially the one on the aft end of the deck, because that part of the deck is often awash in both fresh and salt water (rain and or while fishing). Most of the corrosion was at the back of the tank.

I still have not figured out why there was gas in the bilge, since the tank coffin is sealed and separated from the bilge. I’m probably going to have that PVC pipe carefully inspected and possibly replaced just to make sure its not leaking.

Got a new tank from RDS, this one Epoxy coated. Trying to figure out what (besides hoses and clamps) we should replace while we have this apart. It already has a 2-year old WEMA stainless sending unit, so we're good there...

Scuppers...?

No the stringers and bulkheads look to be just fine. The Parker is really well made - no expose wood that I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent":2w0roc1k said:
I would make the fuel pickup tube as long as possible to maximize fuel capacity and add a Racor water and fuel filter mounted in aft bilge.

I would replace the scuppers . Any close pics of them ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sealing the foam seems like a good idea.

Already have Racor water/fuel separator in the aft compartment.

I’ll have to get some pics of the scuppers. I’ve always hated them, but replaced with the same ones 3 times because I need ball scuppers to keep water off the deck while in the slip!

Hopefully the tank overhaul and removal of saturated foam help alleviate some of your wet deck issues. Personally I know moving both of my batteries amidship helped a ton. Have you given any more thought to moving the tank forward a bit?

My only problem with this is uneducated people working on your boat....Maybe they are educated to the new ways?.....I dought it. :( They will just want to put it back the way it was.....YOU have to educate them!

Coal Tar epoxy coated.....4lb density foam......Tank top / foam sealed.

Did you ever have to fill the tank slowly to keep it from spitting back? 2nd vent ...T'd to other vent.

Hazardous Material my ass! They pump that fuel out....filtered it and filled all the employee vehicles!

Oh and made a fortune doing it.

warthog5":ivn2rwfz said:
My only problem with this is uneducated people working on your boat....Maybe they are educated to the new ways?.....I dought it. :( They will just want to put it back the way it was.....YOU have to educate them!

Coal Tar epoxy coated.....4lb density foam......Tank top / foam sealed.

Did you ever have to fill the tank slowly to keep it from spitting back? 2nd vent ...T'd to other vent.

Hazardous Material my ass! They pump that fuel out....filtered it and filled all the employee vehicles!

Oh and made a fortune doing it.

I agree with your points.

The tank is coal tar epoxy’d, but some rubbed off in shipping. Should I worry about 1/4” gaps?

I already have the tank. (ordered from RDS) so it only has the single vent - too late on that. :(

Is 4 lb density foam something that is sprayed/poured in? Or cut and stuffed?

When you say “tank top foam sealed” what do you mean? I imagine you probably have another tread here explaining all this...

Is 4 lb density foam something that is sprayed/poured in? Or cut and stuffed?

When you say “tank top foam sealed” what do you mean?

4lb density is mixed and poured....But they make 2lb density also.
2lb is for general flotation 4lb is specific for tank installs.

I've even seen people use Home Depot/Lowes Great Stuff foam......It is not designed for that.

Tank must be mounted so it does NOT get moved by the expanding foam.

The foam is cut flush with the top of the tank. Fiberglass is laid from the top of the tank,
bridging the foam and onto the stringers. There should be a Limber tube installed at the top edge of the tank , so any water that gets on top of the tank has a way to exit to the bilge.

Seal the rubbed off spots with some Epoxy

markman03":2ufrwoyn said:
How much do you think the final cost is going to be?

Tank $2200

Haul-out $500

Fuel disposal $500

Labor - probably $4,000

But I’m not entirely sure about that - don’t have a firm quote yet.

Did RDS email you a tank drawing?

What is the aluminum thickness?

Does the tank have baffles?

Did you call them to order and discuss options like epoxy coating?

Will they use a thicker aluminum if requested?

Any other options available? Dual fuel pickups.? Fuel sender? Dual vents?

Does the tank come with mounting pads?

Sorry I am not ready to replace my tank. No issues or gas in bilge or under hatches to date

Which brand of hatches when be used. Beckson uses a thick O ring several times thicker than Tempress. Armstrong bracket company makes a hatch for their brackets. It looks like the best sealing on the market but don’t know the height or if usable in a cockpit deck but the deck hatches will leak

I like to see how the scuppers will be done.

Thanks a Million!

Considering me and Brent have the almost identical vessel as the OP we are following closely.

Brent":djfjyv41 said:
Another Q. Lol

Do you plan to paint or gelcoat the new deck or all of the deck?

Once everything is glassed and faired, a new coat of non-skid will be applied by the yard doing the work.

The only problem is that we're in line behind a couple of really big projects with wealthy/demanding/noisy owners, so our project keeps slipping and slipping. My guess is that we won't be back in the water until late August/early September at this point. :(

Back