Man Overboard. 23' Parker. 37 miles off North Carolina coast

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow what a story. There was a man who I knew who went fishing with his son in the Long Island sound July 3rd. The 50 year old captain was leaning over to grab a rod and happened to fall in the water, within seconds the man disappeared into a strong tidal flow and never resurfaced. The 14 year old son panicked and was not able to get the boat going and by that time I’m sure he was disoriented and lost his fathers exact MOB location. It’s been 5 days and no body has been found. I am going to purchase an automatic inflatable pfd with PLB as things happen so fast out on the water, fishing alone you take the greatest chances and small mistakes could cost you your life. Glad to hear this captain survived a very scary situation. I hope we can all learn from this captains mistakes and take necessary precautions because no fish is worth your life or the lives of family or friends.
Godspeed

Pretty well sums it up. Momentary lapse in judgement with a great outcome.

Wow, thank you for finding, and posting this....
In the 1980's we attended classes and seminars presented by Captain Bill Brogden (RIP) USCG Captain who was responsible for the LORAN navigation system... He often mentioned that nearly all fishermen recovered by the Coast Guard, died with their zippers down.
Use a bucket, or an old plastic ice-tea pitcher or such; then dump it overboard.

Last edited:
Pretty well sums it up. Momentary lapse in judgement with a great outcome.

You beat me to sharing this! If anyone else is on Instagram, I'd highly recommend following thequalifiedcaptain. It's a good laugh, it will make you feel better about your own boating practices, and sometimes is a great reminder about safety practices (like Monday's incident).

Thank you! The main reason I had thought about installing one at the second station, is because I have very little space (no available space) near the main station.... I'll do some more measuring...

My MOB+ unit came recently after being backordered for months (seems like everyone had the same idea with the new regs). The antenna is flexible, but I don't see a way for it to swivel as mentioned. Also note the "striper thumb" from yesterday's outing...

MOB+ Antenna.jpeg

You beat me to sharing this! If anyone else is on Instagram, I'd highly recommend following thequalifiedcaptain. It's a good laugh, it will make you feel better about your own boating practices, and sometimes is a great reminder about safety practices (like Monday's incident).

My MOB+ unit came recently after being backordered for months (seems like everyone had the same idea with the new regs). The antenna is flexible, but I don't see a way for it to swivel as mentioned. Also note the "striper thumb" from yesterday's outing...

View attachment 29859
When I looked at these (This brand) a few years ago, the antenna was stiff, and significantly longer.... Looks like they have made some improvements!
It's still more complicated than one I had posted here at CP a couple years ago. That unit took the place of the 'clip' on the ignition cut-off. (There was no 'installation' other than replacing the clip, with the cutoff device).... But, It did have one major draw-back; it didn't work most of the time!

Last edited:
Thank you.... I'll check up under there...

This is quoted directly from the instruction guide:
"Place the xHUB with the antenna at least ~ 10” / 30cm from other electronics equipment transmitting EMI. The antenna should be in as free space as possible, but where necessary it can be bent up to 45 degrees."

The antenna is 6.5" long from the back of the xHUB, however, the entire length (antenna + xHUB) is 9"

Wow that is some crazy story. I never go offshore by myself. I’ve always assumed that something could go wrong and that would be the day I was by myself. I have huge respect for the ocean and you can take all the precautions necessary and things can still go south very quickly. So glad this worked out for this gentleman and I hoped he played Powerball when he got back.

I mostly stay in the bay and I constantly remind people "the bay is no joke". Things can end bad even close to home.
Same with the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds. They can be more dangerous than the ocean under certain wind/wave conditions. Every year, boats go down, and people drown. I'm happy this man's ordeal had a happy ending. It serves as a reminder for me to always wear the vest with PLB, whistle, and rescue light, when out alone. (I never 'lean' overboard as he did, but I have tripped and stumbled over my own feet)...

Received my MOB+ today and confirm the previous measurments and comments on the antenne. No swivel but flexible.
A nice feature it has is that if it fails or you suspect it isnt allowing you to override you can remove the harness and install an attched cap which jumps 2 pins.

Here's a report on a man, fishing his 23' Parker, who fell overboard 37 miles off shore.
Some good lessons learned here.
1. If not for the GPS 'bread-crumb' feature, he likely would be gone. Two 'good Samaritans' were almost run down by the empty boat. They got onboard and followed 'the track' miles back to where the boat owner was treading water.
2. He was offshore, by himself, and not wearing a life vest.
3. He was not using an automatic engine kill-switch device.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/07/06/man-falls-overboard-37-miles-offshore-rescued-by-samaritans/
Here's some more, in case there's interest; It's a video of the rescue, the rescuers, and the Parker when they found the boat;
https://people.com/human-interest/f...rogue-boat-rescue-its-captain-from-n-c-water/
Here's a report on a man, fishing his 23' Parker, who fell overboard 37 miles off shore.
Some good lessons learned here.
1. If not for the GPS 'bread-crumb' feature, he likely would be gone. Two 'good Samaritans' were almost run down by the empty boat. They got onboard and followed 'the track' miles back to where the boat owner was treading water.
2. He was offshore, by himself, and not wearing a life vest.
3. He was not using an automatic engine kill-switch device.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/07/06/man-falls-overboard-37-miles-offshore-rescued-by-samaritans/
Here's some more on the story; if interested in seeing a well-equipped, Beautiful 23' Parker!
Here's a video of the rescue, the rescuers, and the man who was rescued; including video of the Parker, when they came across it in the ocean;

https://people.com/human-interest/f...rogue-boat-rescue-its-captain-from-n-c-water/

Here's the rescued Parker 23.
1625918344489.png

Last edited:
Received my MOB+ today and confirm the previous measurments and comments on the antenne. No swivel but flexible.
A nice feature it has is that if it fails or you suspect it isnt allowing you to override you can remove the harness and install an attched cap which jumps 2 pins.

For you and everyone else installing the MOB+ system, make sure to grab a pack of the batteries that go to the fob (I think it’s a CR2032, but check) and toss them in your dry box. The first one I had died pretty quickly; might just have been an old one from the factory, we’ll see how this one holds up. You can run the boat in override if the battery fails, but it obviously eliminates the safety features and it’ll beep at you once a minute all day long, which is annoying.

Otherwise, I’ve been super happy with it.

Thanks everyone - lots of lessons and good info on this post. I am going to install an MOB+ system on my boat thanks to this thread. Glad the story had a happy ending. Pretty amazing.

Back