Moving Seat/Livewell Console Aft to Increase Clearance

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkahan

Reaction score
On 2001 Parker 1801, How difficult is it to move the seat/livewell section back about 6" in order to increase the distance between the center console and the seat/livewell?

Appreciate any help or a link to a previous modification.

You mean you want room to stand between the helm and the seat? You want two hands on the wheel, instead of standing to the side and driving with your right hand? You want your toes pointing straight ahead? That's asking too much. Start by opening that hatch on the front, and seeing where the plumbing for the livewell is coming thru the deck.

After using my 1801 again recently, I realized that most of the crowding between the helm and the seat/livewell is actually the fixed steering wheel hitting my six pack abs. This forces me to stand upright, to slightly leaning back, when the more natural, and comfortable position, is to lean into the chop. I am considering using a piece of starboard to move the helm a few inches forward, but now, I am wondering if a tilt wheel helm will solve the problem. Of course, I am 3 hours from the boat when this question pops onto my head.
Mine is a 2000. Do newer 1801's come with tilt steering, and does this eliminate the problem of feeling jammed in behind the wheel? If your boat is handy, how far from the aft edge of the console to the center of the helm, right on the fiberglass? And how far from that aft edge of the console, to the nearest point on the wheel, when tilted up? My wheel protrudes into the space aft of the console, does your tilt steering clear that vertical line up the rear of the console?

After using my 1801 again recently, I realized that most of the crowding between the helm and the seat/livewell is actually the fixed steering wheel hitting my six pack abs. This forces me to stand upright, to slightly leaning back, when the more natural, and comfortable position, is to lean into the chop. I am considering using a piece of starboard to move the helm a few inches forward, but now, I am wondering if a tilt wheel helm will solve the problem. Of course, I am 3 hours from the boat when this question pops onto my head.
Mine is a 2000. Do newer 1801's come with tilt steering, and does this eliminate the problem of feeling jammed in behind the wheel? If your boat is handy, how far from the aft edge of the console to the center of the helm, right on the fiberglass? And how far from that aft edge of the console, to the nearest point on the wheel, when tilted up? My wheel protrudes into the space aft of the console, does your tilt steering clear that vertical line up the rear of the console?

Yesterday went and stood/measured and in fact the steering wheel extends 4" aft of the console, right into my belly. It certainly looks like moving the steering helm 2-4" forward will help considerably. But what about the existing hole in the console? Any others attempted a repair like this? My parker 1801 is a 2001 and has cable steering. Appreciate any suggestions, recommendations before I start cutting anything. Thank you.

I sold mine, but I was going to use the starboard to cover the existing hole. Something like a piece 1 inch wider than the helm on each side, which extended 1 inch below the old hole, and 1 inch above the new helm location at the top.

Your for sure opening up a can of worms with moving the leaning post/Seat/ Livewell. It's the plumbing that is the tuff part.

May I suggest......A Tilt Helm :)

Can you suggest a specific tilt helm (part number ideal) that will be a direct replacement? Steering cables appear to be original (2001 Parker 1801).

Thanks for advice and assistance.

Back