My Boston Based 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the boating season just over the horizon...wanted to share the 1801 I picked up early last year for $10K (and have been updating since). She is a Year 2000 1801 with the original Yamaha 115 on her (with about 550 - 600 Hours).

Work done so far under my ownership;
- New T-Top
- New Garmin Plotter
- New Bennett Trim Tabs
- New Sea Deck flooring
- New cushions on rear box seats, front center console seat, and leaning post.
- Custom made King Starboard leaning post

Only downside (and the reason for the low price I paid)...the original fuel tank is toast. The boat sat for a few years, before the last owner, with fuel in it (owner passed away) and corroded. A 20 gallon topside fuel tank has been installed in the leaning post. I just use for cruising around the harbor so for me 20 gallons gets the job done.

Looking forward to another season and hoping my little Yamaha will get me another season or two!

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 5
I suggest you do the fuel tank in the future as I’m sure the foam in the coffin area is soaked. I ran for a summer season with a top side tank then bit the bullet. It’s a lot of work but worth it.

Thanks
I suggest you do the fuel tank in the future as I’m sure the foam in the coffin area is soaked. I ran for a summer season with a top side tank then bit the bullet. It’s a lot of work but worth it.
You are probably right...but I cannot even fathom how much that would cost...

While I can handle some simple mods and improvements...I unfortunately am not skilled enough to do that and would have to find a shop to handle that. My guess is that I will ride this out as long as I can and then sell to someone as a project (who is skilled in that type of work). It is to bad as the rest of the boat is pretty mint for it being a 2000, would love to keep it forever even when I upgrade down the line. I have thought about re-powering...but not going to sink that into it if I cant keep it long term. Decisions!

Welcome 🙂
Out of curiosity, who and how was the tank condition evaluated? Will you do the work yourself or have you picked a shop to do it?
Thanks! Such a great forum!

I was informed by the person I bought it from (who had it for 3 years) and was well versed in all things boats. They were having all kinds of fuel issues and were finding tons of "junk" in the fuel filter and even VST. They inspected the tank and found corrosion. He believes that when it sat for a few years with fuel in it (prior to his ownership) this is what caused the issue. As stated above, the boat is in great condition with the exception of this flaw (which is a big one). I would love to have it fixed, but am making an assumption that since I don't have the skills to do it myself, that it would be cost prohibitive. The guy I bought it from was looking to do, but had two project boats in his yard and was focusing on them.

Any idea on the cost you incurred to do this?

There has been a few threads for tank replacements if you want to see what is involved.
A new tank installed is a few grand but what happens is when you open up that can of worms with all the "extras/upgrades" that will be done while the boats deck and console is torn apart.
I have the same boat and admire the mods you have done. It is a big task to do the tank but it may not be bad. I would do my own LOW (3-5psi) pressure test. If its is just dirty it can be cleaned via the sending unit hole. Whatever "junk" was getting in the fuel system shouldn't go beyond the primary fuel filter(s).
You didn't mention water in the fuel or tank so that's a good thing so if no water is getting in then theres a good chance the under deck is dry.
Keep all points of water intrusion sealed up.
Your not the first to abandon an in-hull tank and go topside and since your needs for capacity is low your golden.

There has been a few threads for tank replacements if you want to see what is involved.
A new tank installed is a few grand but what happens is when you open up that can of worms with all the "extras/upgrades" that will be done while the boats deck and console is torn apart.
I have the same boat and admire the mods you have done. It is a big task to do the tank but it may not be bad. I would do my own LOW (3-5psi) pressure test. If its is just dirty it can be cleaned via the sending unit hole. Whatever "junk" was getting in the fuel system shouldn't go beyond the primary fuel filter(s).
You didn't mention water in the fuel or tank so that's a good thing so if no water is getting in then theres a good chance the under deck is dry.
Keep all points of water intrusion sealed up.
Your not the first to abandon an in-hull tank and go topside and since your needs for capacity is low your golden.
Thanks I will do a search. Maybe I will have my marina unwrap the boat a bit early and give me a second opinion (of the tank condition) before launching. The pressure test is a great idea, if its still intact then its definitely something I can work with.

Question for the experts here, Is there any type of coating they can apply to the inside of a tank? Kind of how they line old sewer pipes that are falling apart?

Whats under the floor hatch infront of the console? Is it over the tank fill neck or is it access to the unused space in front of the tank?
It is access to the fuel tank, it is where the fill hose was connected. Can definitely get a camera in the tank that way.

Thanks I will do a search. Maybe I will have my marina unwrap the boat a bit early and give me a second opinion (of the tank condition) before launching. The pressure test is a great idea, if its still intact then its definitely something I can work with.

Question for the experts here, Is there any type of coating they can apply to the inside of a tank? Kind of how they line old sewer pipes that are falling apart?

No.... you can clean the tank if it is just dirty. If it is leaking you need to replace the tank.

Any smell of gas in the bilge? When on a trailer, tilt her way up. Also look in the access hatch at the sender and outlet. Parker used a lot of foam around the tank and it has low points which catch water and will destroy the tank. 23 years is about the life of a tank.

Since you have 20 gallons on the deck, that is a good quantity and should definitely get you around the harbor.

Also, the cost of a tank replacement is in the range of 4-7k depending on labor rates and tank cost.

Last edited:
Any smell of gas in the bilge? When on a trailer, tilt her way up. Also look in the access hatch at the sender and outlet. Parker used a lot of foam around the tank and it has low points which catch water and will destroy the tank. 23 years is about the life of a tank.

Since you got 20 gallons on the deck, that is a good quantity and show definitely get you around.

Also, the cost of a tank replacement is in the range of 4-7k depending on labor rates and tank cost.
Thanks for the feedback!

No smell of gas in the bilge, however it has been over 5 years since the original below deck tank had any gas in it. As soon as I get the wrap off this early spring I will do some additional investigation in the access hatches. Agree that for what I use it for the 20gal is pretty sufficient, however hoping I can maybe find a smaller shop who would do the work in the sub $5K range. That seems reasonable to me given the boat is still in great condition otherwise. Thanks again for the response.

Reactions: Efx
Does anyone here have a suggestion on any shops in the greater Boston area who would do this kind of work? I am currently at Marina Bay in Quincy MA. While I love being there, and the service is great...it is also VERY expensive (from a service perspective).

Back