Need advice on ice chests

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Mattie

Reaction score
I am in the market for a cooler (ice chest), probably in the 94-120 qt size to use on the boat. I would hope to load it with ice, food and drinks and have ice and everything cold after a couple of days on the Chesapeake in the summer. Lots of manufacturers make cliams about keeping ice for 3-9 days but they seem exaggerated to me. Does anyone have experience with good coolers. I have lots of igloos that seem to result in ice water after only a day. West Marine lists newer ones labeled "Marine Elite", "Ultra Cold" , "Ice Station Zero" (by Moeller), and "Ultimate" (by SSI). I am willing to pay for something better if it really is, but am skeptical about advertising claims. Any thoughts

Well i have a marine one and it is 165-Qt i like my beers ice cold!! It is made by Igloo ice last like 3-4 days,they also have one that is 100 or 120-Qt,let me know!!!

Best for the money imo, is the Coleman Extreme. I dont know that they make it in the 128 qt size, I have seen 90 qt i think but they are super good at keeping ice.

Boaters world has Outer Banks fiberglass lined coolers I have 2 an ice lasts 3 to 4 days in the summer. Very nice The price is better than west marine

The coolers formerly known as Icey-Tek are now being marketed under several different names, one of which is the Yeti Roughneck.
http://www.fishing-catalog.com/iceytek/index.htm

BoatersWorld markets them under their OuterBanks brand.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/479670119msk.htm

I have a pair of Icey-Teks, a 40 qt which is my 'beverage cooler', and a 70 qt which is my 'fish cooler'.

The 40 qt is the perfect size to keep on the boat, and I've used it for 3 full seasons now keeping beverages cold all season long. Pretty nice to stop by the boat on the way home from work to make sure all is well... :) and have a beverage before going home. 8)

The key to keeping ice for days is simple. Load up the cooler with beverages and fill with ice. The less dead-air space you have in the cooler, the better. Then place a towel over the cooler to protect it from the sun and help insulate it.

Beyond that, resist the urge to drain off all the water each time you top off your ice. That cold water displaces air and the ice-cold water helps to keep the beverages colder, longer.

I have a 'beverage refrigerator' at home with an ice maker in the freezer. During the boating season I'll stockpile ice by putting it in plastic grocery bags and store it in the freezer. Every couple days I'll take a bag to the boat (I'm only a mile away) and top-off the cooler. The plastic grocery bags then become 'boat trash bags'. :)

Even in the heat of summer, ice will last in my Icey-Tek for 3 to 4 days (or more).

Image-0B03138559B911DC.jpg

Latest posts

Back