Need New Trailer Tires

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Brent. If you tow regularly and especially if at highway speed for anything over 20 miles or so, just plan on replacing them every 5 years. This is due to fatigue and dry rotting more than wear. The most important thing to look for when purchasing trailer tires is the tires load range. Make sure your tires are capable of carrying the load of the full rig with some decent margin. Your rig is probably heavier than you think it is so you may want to drop by a truck stop and scale it. After your purchase, making sure your tires are inflated to the proper PSI is the most important thing that you can do. I can't stress this point enough as most people are slack on this point. There is a saying in the tire business, "the tire doesn't carry the load the air does". Yes, I'm in the business. The sidewall will list what the max payload the tire will carry at the max cold PSI. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to run the tires at the max PSI but that if you want to carry the max load rating for the tire you need to run the max PSI. Using a load inflation table is only way to know for sure what that psi number is for a lesser payload than max. I have that info for heavy truck and OTR but not for light boat trailer tires. I just wanted to point out that misconception of what you read on the sidewall. When in doubt, use the max PSI. Carlisle is one of the more prominent trailer tire brands, but as mentioned, most in this application are made overseas.

I put a set of Maxxis Radials on my Venture Trailer carrying 23DVCC. These are the best tires I have ever had. They ride well, more than handle the weight, and I can pull the trailer 70+ mph without worry of the tire melting. I ruined a set of factory stock tires pulling the boat from NC to the Keys and back. They just could not handle the prolonged heat and speed. If you pull your boat much invest in good tires.

A Lot of guys are going to LT [Light Truck] tires over on THT. It's just a heavier built tire.

My 2 cents is stay away from Goodyear Marathons , for the last 5 years I have had tread separation, blowouts and flat spots in the tread even in brand new tires on every trip down and back from the Keys Finally broke down and bought a full set (4) of Tow Masters in load range E. This is the first year I have towed from Maryland to Marathon without a single problem :lol: and yes I have always kept my tires a little deflated and covered while trailer was not in use

Check out this size sheet and load ranges. Your 2320 with the trailer and gear must be up in the 8500+ range. I would go with the load range LRE for extra capacity. If you don't use a ST type tire and just used a normal radial in a P225/75R15 you would drop down to about 1875 lbs per tire. Clearly not enough. If you can find a LT type tire, it would need to be in load range E. Without spending more time looking it up, I think that to achieve this, you will end up with something like a LT225/75R16 range E which would involve different rims and then clearence issues that you would need to look into. I'm assuming that you have 225/75R15's. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• radial-trail-rh_specs.jpg
    radial-trail-rh_specs.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 236
you will end up with something like a LT225/75R16 range E which would involve different rims and then clearence issues that you would need to look into.

Every 16in I've seen was 6 lug or a 8 lug wheel.

I think what usually takes the 16" ST type wheel from 6 lug to 8 lug is the load range. Range D (up to about 3000 lbs) can have the 6 lug and the range E (around 3400 lbs) needs the 8 lug. The LT option is worth considering as long as you pay attention to the load ranges and of course the lugs/wheels and clearance considerations.

My first set of tires that came with the new boat trailer were the Canadian made Towmasters. Six years of towing the 2320 back and forth to the Keys I had zero issues. Couldn't find the Towmasters anywhere when they finally started to dry rot. Came across some Chinese made Loadstars. My trailer guy said he had very few complaints. Even though I had resolved never to buy Chinese crap I had a Keys trip coming and was in a hurry so I pulled the trigger on the Loadstars. As much as I would like to say something bad about them, they gave me no grief.

shawnee83":1292ye77 said:
Check out this size sheet and load ranges. Your 2320 with the trailer and gear must be up in the 8500+ range. I would go with the load range LRE for extra capacity. If you don't use a ST type tire and just used a normal radial in a P225/75R15 you would drop down to about 1875 lbs per tire. Clearly not enough. If you can find a LT type tire, it would need to be in load range E. Without spending more time looking it up, I think that to achieve this, you will end up with something like a LT225/75R16 range E which would involve different rims and then clearence issues that you would need to look into. I'm assuming that you have 225/75R15's. I hope this helps.

Actually just less than 6,000# with 100 gallons of fuel still want LRE in the 15 inch. IIRC the trailer Ron put me in is a #7,500 pounder.

I replaced my 4 trailer tires, I ended up buying new tires that were already mounted on new wheels.

It wasn't much more than buying new tires and paying to have them mounted on my old wheels.

I saved the best old wheel and tire for a spare. Gave the old wheels and tires to a fellow guide.

Wal-Mart, Academy Sports, Tractor supply. etc.

Back