New boat Garmin package

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradH

Reaction score
My girlfriend's mother is picking electronics for a new 23CC (no, not a Parker) and we like this package, what do you guys think?

Garmin 5212
GSD 24
Airmar P60

Have not played with a 52 series, only a 72, which has ipad like touch response. I'm a little concerned that the 52 will be slow and choppy. Maybe that's why no one has any on display?

Not sure if I will do the install or not. I have done A LOT of custom rigging so that doesn't bother me, but never set up a NMEA 2000 network...looks plug and play.

Also looking for best place to purchase, trying to get a discount/not pay retail and have no problem ordering online.

Best local deal I have is through West Marine (gasp!) who will take 6% off the package and then give 4% cash back through the member program.

I think that 5212 is the one Jim Maier (of BOE Marine) had on his 23' Pacific/Black Lab.
If so, I did get quite a bit of hands on that unit and loved it.
Touch screen, radar and weather overlay... and I didn't perceive it as being slow at all.

Jim is a Garmin dealer, so if you gave him a call, he could probably tell you more about that unit and what it can do.
He can also give you some insight on setting up the Garmin network as well.

1-866-735-5926

I'd put a Airmar B-164 in place of that P-66.

First the transom would not be cluttered up with a cable and the X-ducer hanging there looking Ugly.

Second You would be getting better use of the GSD 24 with it's 1000watt capability.

And order a B-164 [Mix & match] The place you buy it from will know what that is. If they don't? Don't buy it from them.

warthog5":r1jcc9hy said:
I'd put a Airmar B-164 in place of that P-66.

First the transom would not be cluttered up with a cable and the X-ducer hanging there looking Ugly.

Second You would be getting better use of the GSD 24 with it's 1000watt capability.

And order a B-164 [Mix & match] The place you buy it from will know what that is. If they don't? Don't buy it from them.

Totally quoted that wrong. Am going with the the B-164.

Megabyte":3cbb53x9 said:
I think that 5212 is the one Jim Maier (of BOE Marine) had on his 23' Pacific/Black Lab.
Touch screen, radar and weather overlay... and I didn't perceive it as being slow at all.

Jim is a Garmin dealer, so if you gave him a call, he could probably tell you more about that unit and what it can do.

1-866-735-5926

We went over there and talked to him, nice enough guy but didn't do much to win over my business.

Megabyte":1p1icriw said:

1-866-735-5926
I contacted Jim from BOE a couple of times when I was setting my electronics up and he is a store-house of knowledge. I had a transom mount transducer but I ordered a B-60 thru-hull from Jim for my Furuno system. I use a Marine electronics group out of Ocean City(Martek Marine Electronics) to install my electronics. They sell all brands of marine electrics also. If you live close I would most definately suggest letting them do your work. 9917 Decatur Hyway Ocean City,Md 21842 (410-213-0888) 2 miles from the boardwalk.The thru hull transducer is a huge improvement over the transom mount. Martec has also done radar work for me. If you set up an appointment they will do the install while you wait. And give you operating experiance also.

I've heard good things about Martek and will seriously consider them.

Anybody know of upcoming Garmin sales?

UPDATE-

Picked the boat up over the weekend had a chance to play with the package. Overall I'm pleased with the performance. If you're thinking about the 5000 series touchscreens go for it. Not as slow or touchy as I expected.

Two problems-
Display shuts off when starting the engines, possibly other times. I am fairly certain the dealer wired all of the electronics to a switch on the dash...not direct to the battery...something about the GDS 24 always pulling power. Are these especially voltage/current sensitive? I have read about previous versions needing a software update. Is there an auto shutoff function?

Pointing to anything on the display and accidentally touching it is a real pain when it starts to pan or bring up menus.

Display shuts off when starting the engines

Your Spiking the electronics.....Yes they are voltage sensitive and will continue to happen as long as there is Not a dedicated "House" battery to pull power from. As it is ....The boat is getting all power from the "Start" Battery.

See posts about BEP Cluster switches and do away with the Standard "Perko" 1,2,ALL & OFF

warthog5":2vxud5po said:
Display shuts off when starting the engines

Your Spiking the electronics.....Yes they are voltage sensitive and will continue to happen as long as there is Not a dedicated "House" battery to pull power from. As it is ....The boat is getting all power from the "Start" Battery.

See posts about BEP Cluster switches and do away with the Standard "Perko" 1,2,ALL & OFF
Spot on,any spike in voltage will shut them down. Used to go through that all the time till I had it corrected

Back