New MFD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent":x7shwchi said:
So everyone except me has a top of line electronics setup. I need to step up my game. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol Brent. I have a Lowrance HDS 5 that came with my boat when I purchased it about 5 years ago. I’m not sure how old it actually is to be honest. I only use it as a depth finder/sonar fish finder full time. I mount my iPad at the helm and use Navtronics App for Nav. It 100 times better than the Chart Plotter/GPS on the Lowrance unit. It’s nice to have the Lowrance as back up though. Some day I may upgrade my electronics but it’s not a high priority right now for me. It will probably be when it breaks. When I do, it will be one of those Garmin units. Good luck with all your projects and your family illness/surgery.

I am a huge fan of touch screen, especially for navigating. When in seas, I anchor my hand on the side of the unit to touch where necessary and it is really no different than trying to push a button or turn a knob. ( I have both a button unit and a touch screen on my boat) Also the screen is easier to clean than getting grime out of crevasses.

Personally I am not a huge fan of Garmin. Constant updates and little bugs. Plus I think their radar is not on par with other brands. I used to be hired to run guys boats who had all garmin 7616 units with xHD radar on both his boats (Unfortunately he passed away last fall suddenly at a relatively young age). Fish finder was decent and the plotter was easy to use but the charts were "cartoonish" for a lack of better term. I personally run all Furuno on my boat and think the TZT2 is a simpler unit to operate. Adjusting depth shading, going from 2D charts when fishing to 3D charts when running is much simpler with the Furuno IMHO. Radar is outstanding and I dont even have the NXT yet. My boat has the UHD and it offers features like true trails (vs relative trails) and it doesnt miss objects for just a 24" dome. Heck I can paint channel markers at 3nm out with a simple 24" 4kw dome. Furuno tends to really test their software prior to releases (I have tested software for them) and they support their units longer than anyone on the market due to commercial contracts.

Just my opinion

Garmin Echomap Plus 94cv with transducer and old G2 Bluechart not Vision. 699 at West Marine with free shipping.

Big improvement over vintage 545. Now i can replace throttle cables, steering hoses. Add Uflex ram you recommended, finish electrical stuff and replace anchor rode and chain. Maybe a new waterproof anchor light and new bilge pump, and new mounted cabin fan. Lol ...new glass in front windows and repaint

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

a5adc73576f1f7d6695513d6c8761194.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Simrad Evos (dual s9"), I would always recommend two screens, opens up so many options. I was looking buddies Furuno the other day, nice gear. Considering what you spend on each trip, get good MDFs matched to the type of fishing. I purchased a B175HW transducer, so much better
Dave

Back