new purchase

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

army

Reaction score
I am new to this site. I am considering the purchase of a 20 year old 2520DV with single OB on an extended deck. Good Boat?? Likes and challenges? Will be used for Tuna off shore 20 to 35miles in the Northwest. New to a Parker not new to boats. All help comments appreciated. Army

They are great boats and hold up well as long as the previous owners have taken care of it. To assess the value post up pictures and specifics (motor , electronics). I would strongly consider having a survey conducted before purchase so you know the problem areas which you will have some of when dealing with a boat of that vintage. My 2320 is a 1994 and she’s still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

purchase of a 20 year old 2520DV with single OB on an[B} extended deck[/b]

That would be called a "Engine Bracket" Made by several companies.

1 company that makes them is called "Stainless Marine"

But the Brackets are NOT Stainless.......They are alum.

regarding the "army" my son is a marine, I also served on the USS Hamner Fram2 destroyer, in addition to Nuc's in the army and my brother retired as an O6 from the Air Force. Do I have all bases covered except CG? Ha Ha. Thanks for the responses and I will keep informed as to possible purchase

Thank you all for your service to protect the USA and us.

2520 are great boats and roomy. DV typically uses more gas due to hull and many were underpowered. You want a big single or twins. 300 hp total and up. New ones can have twin 250 and up

Check cockpit deck and pilot house top for soft spot esp where add ons were installed. Expensive and time consuming to repair or replace. Deck hatches leak

Has gas tank been replaced? Big ticket item to do it right

Look at wiring esp add ons items. Has helm switch panel been replaced or new switches and breakers installed at low parts cost but a lot of labor.

Probably needs more electrical updates . Mine did. New terminals, main breaker, negative bus bars, battery chargers, new high capacity batteries, better battery trays, upgrading wire size using marine rated not SAE wires. Check all wire sizes bc maybe undersize or wrong wire type.

Upgrade lights to LED including anchor light and inside light fixtures.

Does it have a windlass and operable with wired correctly?

A high end windlass with remote and wired correctly will run around 2000

Windows and berth hatch can leak and needs close inspection.
Wynne made your front windows. Can be repaired or replaced . One or two front opening windows? A new front opening window will cost 700 and up. Side windows may be leaking,

Check all bow rail fasteners have not leaked and have not rot then retighten is no problems

Rub rails may leak and fasteners may need tightening or rails may need sealing.

Pull all hand holds for inspection and reseal

Same for through hulls probably a white Marelon material and replace with SS

Wash down pump if installed will fail and install the best one

A survey will help but may not look at outboard- another big ticket item to replace and good time to repaint the bracket.

Motor can be checked by a good mechanic
Is motor a 2 stroke? OX66 are great motors and parts are available but more gas thirsty than 4 stroke

How old are electronics? Another expense adding a MFD, transducer, VHF radio, etc more for radar and have it on the network. Old motors can’t be networked to MFD. ex my 02 Yamaha F225 can’t be networked and I have a 2330 .

Probably all bilge pumps will need upgraded with high quality and larger capacity,

Check transom for spots esp around the transom mounted transducer.

Seats probably will need replacing. If on pedestals look at Sea suspension or equivalent. More money

Which steering ram ? Sea Star? They will leak. Look at helm pump, hoses and ram I kept the pump and replaced hoses and ram from Ultraflex. My pump didn’t leak and operated smoothly.

Throttle cables can fail and I upgraded to premium ones

You need a plan like
Use it now with minimum upgrades or
Gradual updates
or

Warthog full attack mode with daily UPS and Fedex deliveries
Read his 2530 posts.

Trailer is another topic

Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brent, you are very informative and helpful. I will let all know about our purchase progress. I have owned many boats but this my first parker. Thanks again

the boat finally arrived. dirty from 2 - 3 thousand miles of travel. we are currently at close to zero degrees and my shop is not well heated yet, so limited work for a week or two. I have purchased a nearly new 25hp "kicker" and hopefully will mount it on the what we in the west call an offshore bracket and I previously in error called a deck. The 300hp Suzuki is mounted on it. Any suggestions on method to use? I know I will need to fabricate or purchase a bracket to mount to the "deck" and attach the kicker. Brent I really appreciate your suggestions and "watch for" points. I will use the next 6 months to get her ready for next years ventures. All suggestions are appreciated. Have great and safe holidays and remember there is a reason for the season. Army

It depends on how you plan to use the kicker - as get home motor or for trolling.Be sure to secure it from POS deadbeats. Attach fuel line to external Racor fuel filter and filter head (may need to add one) with a valve for clean and plenty of fuel.

Operation options.
1. Use it manually . Lots of back and forth and fixing motor course and throttle speed.

2. Add a tie bar from the outboard to the kicker and use kicker throttle controls

3. Add a tie bar and binnacle with key start in the cabin or second station.

M2cw others will have better comments

Thank you for your service.

Couple of other items,

Check fuel sender is working and properly grounded,

Replace the fuel sender gasket which is common cause of fuel smells. Replace fuel fill O ring, too Take a pic of the fuel tank data plate by sender for future reference. RDS has tank drawings when you request it with tank serial number and HIN.

At some point pull both fuel tank pickups and replace the pickup tubes and elbows assemblies. Check the tank depth first before cutting the tubes to maximize fuel tank capacity. Should be one inch above tank bottom.

At the elbow , an anti-siphon valve may be installed. It is your call to replace or remove it but it can become clogged and inside spring can fail but is a safety device.

Might sure the fuel line in the rigging tube has been replaced. By the motor, the line bends 90 degrees going to the under cowling fuel filter. Line esp inside hose can kink at the bend and restrict fuel.

Here is my kicker mounted using a Parker kicker plate. IMO you do not need more than a 9.9 for a kicker if it’s a high thrust. Your limited by hull
Speed so both a 10 hp and 25 hp will only push you about 6-7 mph. I use mine for Salmon trolling on the Great Lakes and love it. It does a great job of keeping hours off of my main.
fd03bbbba90368b8146fc06f141a4b54.jpg

Thank you all for your helpful info. I am excited to be a new member of the Parker family. When we get above zero at the ranch I will begin the cleanup and discovery phase. I always appreciate your comments and suggestions. Army

boat purchased in New Jersey delivered to Oregon. Started cleanup, hull and structure looks very good, upholstery excellent. Lots of elbow grease washing and scrubbing. Moved boat forward on trailer for better weight balance and additional tongue weight. Boat was not in water in 2019 so we were told. Turned on battery switch 300hp Suzuki turned over twice and fired right up. Yah! Looking at addressing wiring now. Any suggestions and experiences are valuable. For us safety will always be first. Hopefully I will figure out how to post pics in case anyone is interested in the progress.

We all love pictures. Take a lot of pictures as you go. I like to look back over mine periodically.

Back