Non Skid Painting???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey army I'm really interested to see how your non-skid painting project goes. If possible please post before-after pics and any along the way. This is a project I've been thinking about doing myself.

I will attempt photos. I followed the information and suggestion from this site (yes you warthog, thank you)
I was very surprised by;
1.how much coverage you get from the awlgrip
2. how well the color matched, even on a 20yr old boat
3.the effective but not injury prone nature of the rustoleum nonslip
4. the accuracy of the mixing directions
5. the final appearance, this not a new boat it simply does not show its age.

I will work on photos posting, I have taken those photos

I would mix enough to do the selected area's that you think you can Master easily.
What you described is a Lot of climbing and on your knees.... Make it easy on YOU. :)

LOL You haven't priced automotive paint lately......It's $500 a gal.....and thats for the base.....Then there is the Clear.

It kinda depends on the Brushing of the edges....If the roller can get in there or not? But you can brush the edges....Awlgrip flows pretty dang good......

Mix the non skid after A& B of Awlgrip has been mixed together....I keep it in a cup so you can mix it more just before putting a amount in a roller tray. That way you can stir it again. Just use a decent brush....Read [No Chip Brushes] the hairs fall out.

I step back from the edge side /floor joint of the deck when I tape. This gives a smooth trough around the permiter with a contrasting color.......I use something like 3/8in wide 3M fineline tape......Then use automotive tape and masking to the outside of that. The Fineline assures a crisp tape line.

What else you want to know? :)

Warthog I have a few more questions. I just ordered the Awlgrip epoxy primer, converter, brushing reducer, topcoat and top coat brushing converter to do the non skid on my 1800. How many coats of primer and paint do you do typically? How long between coats? Do you pull the tape after each coat or at the end when everything is done? Do you mix the non skid in each coat of the to coat or just the first? Thank you, just want to make sure I do it right the first time!

How I would do it.......... tape and prime it....2 coats rolled, but 1coat small area and then another coat on that. Move down and do it again...in other words. Double coat it / heavy coat as you go. working your way down the deck and only getting on it once. let it dry overnight, but pull the tape.

Be sure to mix the primer correctly...Awlgrip has a gestation period after combined.

Next day sand the whole thing lightly / lightly with 220gt on a DA sander will be fine. A DA erase's it's own scratches and is equivalent to 400gt hand blocking it.
Remember.....It does Not have to be perfectly flat, as it's going to get rolled with Non skid it it.

After sanding, blowing down, wiped again with wax & grease remover......tape it again and move the tape edge just past the primer line......say 1/4in.....This will assure the primer does not peak thru on a edge.

I use this nonskid...It's fine.....You want Fine......It's cheap , easy to get and works well. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum...Oil-based-Actual-Net-Contents-4-fl-oz/3461790

You will note what the can says...full contents [it's 4oz] into a qt of paint......Don't do that....Do 1/2 can [2oz] into a qt.of paint.

I've expermented enough with this and can tell you it works well....Good traction in shows or bare feet.....Not aggressive on bare feet or knees. Cleans easy.

Now paint it the same as the primer....double coating as you go. Working your way from one end of the boat to the other.

It's worth noting here.. I'm betting it will take aprox a qt total of mixed material. paint & activator together.

Another VERY important thing.....Your roller covers.....Ive used the West System covers a lot in the past. They are 7in wide......A easy size to get into places.....But MOST important is they are designed for Epoxy. If you use a box store roller....It will fall apart in about 5mins and deliver the giblets of roller all in your paint or primer. Bad Ju-Ju's :( Pull the tape after several hours.....it's tricky and you may just need to leave it until the next day....Oh! and use Automotive painting tape not that crap house tape sold in box stores. I buy the Green 3M at the auto body supply....That all I have around here in 3/4 & 2in.

Last edited:
Yup, I got some foam rollers from lowes when I went to get their nonskid. Used one of the rollers to apply awlgrip 545, and yup, it literally exploded and spewed foam bits. But thankfully I'm putting non skid down later so I don't care at all!!!!!!

Try Purdy brand rollers or ones from west marine.

@warthog5 et al, for a large fiberglass repair job, before applying non skid, I've read that a layer of gelcoat first helps smooth out the entire surface and make the application of non skid much easier. Any helpful thoughts? Waxed gelcoat? I'm using rust oleum topside paint and primer.

I use two coats of prime - kote epoxy from interlux prior to the interlux perfection with anti skid added. It’s a high build underlayment that acts as a filler and bonder.

Last edited:
Reactions: A^4
My 1800 was non-skidded using Awlgrip and as Warthog says above, the Eggshell White is a good match for the old Parker gelcoat color. Mine was done by my local dealer, who used to rig and sell Parkers many years ago and has now started a winter-time side hustle rebuilding old hulls with all new systems and power. Many of these are Awlgripped all of over and turn out absolutely beautiful. I had originally planned to have my exterior hull Awlgripped in Fighting Lady Yellow, but my gelcoat was in such good shape that Gib talked me into just letting him buff it up to save $$. I redid the console myself and used Awlgrip to bring it back to like new condidtion. It is not that hard to work with - and this was a bright gloss finish - nonskid should be much easier. See photo below of my console and a sister to my boat that Gib redid in Ice Blue.

Cap'n DanView attachment 27301
@DanLovingood Did you roll or brush your console?

I've read that a layer of gelcoat first helps smooth out the entire surface and make the application of non skid much easier

Sorry for the delay in answering... I didn't see your post......... Never heard or read that. You get what you pay for in paint materials.

Back