Notched transom?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like the sea-keeping issues have been thoroughly discussed.
If you fish a notched transom in the open ocean you probably should have a sea anchor with you. That will reduce your risk a bit.
Also, carry 2 radios.

As far as fishing goes

First, Let me qualify my opinion.
I fish mostly in the ocean and mostly for larger pelagics.
My boat is notched but I fish a fair amount of other boats from outboards to sportfisherman, notched & not.

Normally I try to keep ALL hooked fish away from the transom of any boat. Head on is just a harder gaff shot on the fish- especially the long skinny ones

There is nothing better than bringing a fish up on the side of the boat with a wind-on leader & never touching the line before you punch him with a gaff. I love long-gaffing big dolphin. He's just happily swimming along the boat when I reach out & tap him. Wham ! Never sees it coming.

We all know the mayhem that can result when you try wiring up a 25lb gaffer & pull his head out of the water near the boat.
Good Luck. At best you lose style points, at worst you lose the fish.

So I say, All transom Bad, Gunnels good.

But that's just my $.02

I've lost one or two (more) swimming around my motor before. My only advice is as soon as he goes there get the rod tip in the water as deep as you can jam it without falling in. Normally that helps till you can get the boat out of the way

Back