Offshore Requirements - What's Really Needed?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B-Faithful":14jd3h4m said:
I wouldn't hesitate to run a well cared for single off regularly too. I am a believer that a high thrust kicker can do the job if you wanted back up power (most twin engine boats cannot plane on one engine so you are taking the slow boat back to shore no matter how you look at it)

Very true.
Even with twins... if one fails, you are still going home at 6 knots on the other motor.

mtk2120":3t9qlvy6 said:
I fish 10-30 miles offshore regularly in my 2120. Maintenance and knowing your boat and motor are paramount. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. These boats can handle more than you think and I have put mine to the test more than once. I think captains sink boats more than boats sink captains. Not to sound negative but if your asking this question you should probably stay local. A few bad experiences and you will be turned off to boating in general. A flat calm day with chance of thunderstorms in the middle of August can get real ugly really quick.

I'm not asking whether to fish off shore or not; I have about 35 years of Chesapeake/Southeast boat handling experience. I am simply asking if people on here thinks twins is necessary or is a single F225, maintained and dependable acceptable.

B-Faithful":2l5v7x2d said:
If you are moving to Charleston.... Get the 23SE and pick your days offshore. You don't want to limit your inshore fishing either. :wink:

Must haves for me if I were to venture 30 off regularly:

Epirb
Radar so you know what is around you when visibility is poor
2 gps's in case one fails
VHF fixed mount and 1 VHF hand held. (in case you lose power)
I would like to have a 4 man raft too -- I carry my fathers all winter even in the Chesapeake Bay due to the cold water temps and lack of other boats around - he takes it back during the summer for his offshore fishing)

I wouldn't hesitate to run a well cared for single off regularly too. I am a believer that a high thrust kicker can do the job if you wanted back up power (most twin engine boats cannot plane on one engine so you are taking the slow boat back to shore no matter how you look at it)

Yeah I love the 23SE, but Alice wants/needs a better head and wants more room. I put her on a 28 and she loved it, but we will see. Believe me I know about the in shore down there! I have a portable back up GPS and HH Vhf already.

Megabyte":2kslomug said:
B-Faithful":2kslomug said:

Very true.
Even with twins... if one fails, you are still going home at 6 knots on the other motor.

Pros and cons, pros and cons. :lol:

Crazy not to have twins with offshore fishing , it's not about the 6knots on one engine to get home it's about the 6knots moving forward and the water draining out the back. Boats with no power in bad seas sink.
We fish 130 miles offshore and have spent a ton of money on safety gear , but the most important thing is the boat under it's own power
Derek

warthog5":3pt12mjn said:
Also take a look at your compass and know the direction back to the inlet just in case.

Speaking of compass.......I keep a compass like we used in Boy scouts, in my Flair box.

One similar to this.

41nkbtImF1L._SX300_.jpg

Have one in my ditch bag

One additional thought, I have a friend from Charleston who fishes regularly offshore and I believe he told me he has to run more in the 40 to 50 mile range to get into the deep water. The plateau there runs out pretty far.

I have been running offshore on single engines my whole life on single gas inboards, I/o's, diesels and now a single 225 yammy. The key to me is maintenance, knowing the boat, seas, crew and weather. Most commercial fishing boats are a single diesel chugging along day after day. Only had one dual engine boat and it was a 27 ablemarle with twin 360'inboards, lord that thing sucked gas, and was a maintenance nightmare!

I do carry a solid compliment of safety gear, backup electronics, Epirb, and yes an old Boy Scout compass.

Back