Oil Tank in transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Guys, I have a question for you. I have a Parker 2501 Center Console. The oil tanks for my Yamaha's are in the transom just behind where the water from the deck exits to the scuppers. They are mounted up on "legs" so that the water can run underneath them and out the scuppers.

The mounting brackets that are hoding them in place are made from cheap metal and are corroded away, leaking rust out of the scuppers. I need to replace thes brackets and am interested in opinions as to how best to do this. The oil tanks are going to be very hard to access, and I really only want to do this project once...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi! Other options to SS ...

Although you could certaintly use aluminum angle brackets, I think I'd buy a 3' length of fiberglass angle from McMaster-Carr, click here, then put 'fiberglass angle' in the search field. They have it in 1/8" and 1/4", from 1" by 1" up to 6" by 6".

See below, the cost for a 3' length of 1/4" thick angle of 2" by 2" is $26. Cheap 1/8" thick aluminum would likely only go to 1.5" by 1.5" and would cost you ~$10 or so, and it still would NOT be a marine grade aluminum, like 5056 or such.

I think I'd go with the frp and note you can get a 'box' shape if earier for you to install it on top of. Or, you could simple fashion 'posts' out of 1" round delrin and epoxy the screws into the core (bedding) it properly, or even just making a plate or shelf out of starboard. I have a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4 HDPE if you need a piece. It is is bit harder than starboard, but for your use, it would be fine. And the price just to ship it to you would be cheap, no charge for the piece. Let me know ...
===========================================
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Plastics
This product matches all of your selections.

Part Number: 8522K15 $26.88 Each

-Fiberglass Material, Electrical Grade Fiberglass (GP03)
-Backing Plain, Back
-Shape, 90° Angles
-Wall Thickness, 1/4"
-Wall Thickness Tolerance, ±.015"
-Length, 36"
-Length Tolerance, ±.030"
-Leg Length, 2" x 2"
-Leg Length Tolerance, ±.020"
-Opaque, Red
-Operating Temperature Range, Up to +248° F
-Performance Characteristic, High Tensile Strength and High Impact
Strength
-Tensile Strength, 12,000 psi
-Impact Strength, 12 ft.-lbs./in.
-Tolerance, Standard
-Hardness, Barcol 50
-Specifications Met, Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
-UL Rating, UL 94V0

Hey Dale, the angle fiberglass is a perfect solution...I believe that is what I shall use...

I will post photos...however it may be a while...as long as I get it done by May....; )

Back