Opinions on Deadrise

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzinger81

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a choice of going with a 25xl 25xld or a 28 xl. I am leaning towards the 28 right now but I was wondering about deadrise. I do all of my running on the chesapeake and the boat will be used for basic cruising with occasional fishing. I was told the boats with the 21 degree hull rocks more but it is a softer ride than the 16. It is my understanding that the 28 only comes in the 21 degree deadrise. So long story short, for my purposes which deadrise would you reccomend?

How far do you typically run? Is price an issue? What are you looking interms of economy? Do you prefer twins? Do you have any intentions of trailering or desire that option?

Welcome aboard bzinger!
Greg asked all of the important questions, so once we know how important any of that is for you, we might be able to help narrow your choice.

Even though there is only a 3' difference between the 2520 and the 2820, once you step aboard the 28, you will see just how much larger it actually is. There is no replacement for displacement. :wink:

The DV model 2520's perform best with twin motors (they are required on the 28 ), while the MV models can easily be powered with a single outboard motor. If fuel or maintenance costs are not a consideration, either of the DV models with twins will give you lots of cockpit room and performance to get you anywhere you'd like to go on the Chessie.

When you talk to the local dealer, ask him what the percentage of DV to MV 2520 models he sells, and then ask him why. You might be surprised by the answer.

Either way you decide to go, you can't go wrong. :wink:

thanks Greg. This is JB Kraft by the way, you had given us a sea trial on your judge in the fall. We had also been looking at the 27 Maycraft. We deciced on the parker. We had been looking for the 25 dual motor version but revently got offered a very good deal on a 28 bank repo. We are just trying to figure out if we should go through with the purchase. Long story short though, the boat will be used for transporation from bowleys quarters to our home on fairlee creek.

That 28 looks to be a deal. However, I do get concerned over repos as you don't know if service has been done since they couldn't even afford the payments. The boat looks to be new in the photos though. The 28 is a HUGE boat and requires the twin v6's. I would think it isn't a boat that could easily be trailered. It is a beast of a boat and does do well offshore. My father fishes on one time to time and thinks it is a great boat. Just it is harder on fuel than his boat.

The deep v 25 parker could probably do well with twin 150's. Rocking probably isn't an issue with its wide beam. The deep v costs more than the xl up front but doesn't seem to sell for more on the used side than the xl. You may be able to power nicely with a single 350. I prefer the upfront cost, maintenance/service, and repower bills of a single for one who mostly bay fishes.

The XL is adequately powered with a 250 and offers a good compromise of efficency and ride. Yes it won't ride like a deep v but your fuel bill will be lighter along with the up front cost. For my uses this is the boat I personally would select for the Ches Bay as most typically don't run more than 20-30 miles on a given day. I don't see the advantage of being able to run a few knots faster when it cost you so much more to buy and operate the deep v. I think this especially because I doubt you would get the additional money out in this area at the time of resale. I also think twins are a waste in the chesapeake. For a few trips offshore I would trust the reliability of todays motors, try to buddy boat or charter for one or two trips. I also think this boat would trailer the easiest to take to the ocean for offshore trips.

if your offshore aspirations grow and that is what you do more frequently, you will probably want to spend the money on twins and get the heavier, deeper v boat. With that said, that 28 looks to be a boat to check out quickly.

Good luck. Keep us posted to your decision process. Hope to see you on the water.

Back