Outfitting 2020 21 SE. Comes with 942xsv

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Hall

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking to outfit new 21 SE that comes with 942 xsv and B60 transducer, and hoping for feedback and ideas.

Looking to go slightly bigger screen and working with dealer to buy back unit before I take delivery when boat arrives. Considering consolidating to single 8610, but if they won't give a decent dollar value for 942 may keep as a second screen an just move if I can fit it.

Primary use is local nav and fish finding. I fly fish and light tackle mostly. Primary fishing is 100' or less, usually near rocks. I'm in Boston harbor and Cape Cod.

Also need a decent VHF.

Incentive to get a better unit first is because stock had value before being used. I can upgrade transducer later this year or over the winter. Trying to control spending immediately with all boat gear needed, but will spend for right unit.

I do like Garmin.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

For Your use.....I wouldn't change a thing.....You don't need a 1000 watt X-Ducer.

VHF Standard Horizon EXPLORER GPS (GX1700)

EDIT:

I never recommend a touch screen unit. Knobs/Buttons are your friend in a bouncing boat.

A B60 X-Ducers is a dis service for a CHIRP unit....It will not function as CHIRP....just 50-200Hz..and for your application keep it on 200hz.

The 982 has no side view.

The 8610 Is CHIRP and has side view.....It will require the hole in the hull being filled and redrilled. [Ive done them] Then this Thruhull Garmin GT51M-TH

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540990

It is my contention that a dealer just throws stuff together.....That may work for people that want "Just OK"

But......."Just OK"......is Not OK in my book.

For your application......I'd recommend the Garmin GT51M-TH hooked to a 1022XSV.

I'm also betting your dealer is gonna balk at a change.

warthog5":123esx1h said:
For Your use.....I wouldn't change a thing.....You don't need a 1000 watt X-Ducer.

VHF Standard Horizon EXPLORER GPS (GX1700)

You'd leave the 942 in place too? I thought I'd want a larger screen, but this is based on my previous boat (and 6 years away from boating). Had a 545 (i think) and man I hated split screen.

SideVu sounds cool for running along rocks in 10-20' if it will pick up fish.

SideVu sounds cool for running along rocks in 10-20' if it will pick up fish.

Sideview's limit is about 100ft in depth

A 545 in split screen .....Yea....It kinda sucks....Afterall....You talking about a 5in diag screen. LOL

On these other units......I set my split screen up to have chart at the Top and FF across the bottom.

Screen divided top & bottom......Not Right & Left.

I bet you will find you like that....You could not do it with older units..It did not have the capability.

The built in antenna's in the new stuff are fabulous....No external antenna needed.

The processors are Sooooooo much faster than that old 545. It will take the quirky/jerky movement of the boat on the screen out when your trying to anchor on a spot.

Yes...I think for your application youd really like the sideview.

warthog5":1vfhtcek said:
Brent":1vfhtcek said:
Add a Digital VHF antenna

Yep :D
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So after a bunch more research I'm still stumped. 942xs... Xsv isn't a thing on that model, which means no sidevu. West Marine showed a demo with it running but I think it is default demo software.

I don't love the idea of removing the B60 and cutting another hole and considering either just getting a better transom mounted transducer with the 942 or upgrade unit to 8610xsv and then deal with transducer next year.

Other option is do nothing and run stock for a season. I don't want to spend 3-4k on top of the boat right now, but taking delivery with 942 means I'll take a bath if I replace next year anyway.

So after a bunch more research I'm still stumped. 942xs

There is a 942Xs and a 942XS Plus.......No matter...neither has sideview.

So.....I guess my question is.......Who installed and picked it? You, Dealer or Parker?

It's "Entry" level stuff and Garmin even says so.

warthog5":2848fdk4 said:
So after a bunch more research I'm still stumped. 942xs

There is a 942Xs and a 942XS Plus.......No matter...neither has sideview.

So.....I guess my question is.......Who installed and picked it? You, Dealer or Parker?

It's "Entry" level stuff and Garmin even says so.
Parker. They won't not install it at the factory. No option to factory swap anything as part of the package.

Last year I bought the model below to replace a 545s for $600

It is fine for my use and better then old unit

ECHOMAP[emoji769] Plus 94sv Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo with CV51M-TM Transducer and G2 Coastal Charts
WiFi

Has -
Traditional
Chirp
Side view
Down view

Garmin G2 charts but not Vision

See

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin-- ... --18561506

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brent":qx5n1x01 said:
942 has side viewwith the correct transducer. Plus means it has WiFi and usesActive Captain app for charts, updates and other features.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
You need the transducer and box for sidevu from what I read.

I'm leaning towards just getting a better transom mounted transducer and leaving the 942 and trying for a year. Should still be much better than last boat I owned.

Back