Painting walls under gunnels

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCieri17

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice on what to use to paint the walls under the gunnel on my 87 21cc. Currently I believe it’s the original coating on the rough glass. I’d like to just make it look cleaner and paint it white. Not sure what product to use.
b74cb61772eec3da52d6a0daff27a237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any paint advice, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, but boats don't have walls or floors, not even ships. They have vertical bulkheads, and horizontal decks.
Terminology is helpful when dealing with suppliers or contractors.

I had the same issues with the rough finish of the "walls" of my 23 Parker. I simply faired it out with a batch of epoxy and fairing compound. Allowed to dry. Sanded with 220 grit on a DA sander. Painted with Brightsides paint (I think I used the color sandstone). I also added the Interlux flattening agent at a 1:1 ratio. Looks muchbetter

Brightsides is a Glorfied Alkyed Enamel. I use it for painting kitchen cabinets....But not boats. You can roll it with Awlgrip.

Ofcorse proper prep needs to be done.

Thanks for the advice. I’m not looking to make them smooth, just freshen them up. The deck is going to be getting covered with marine mat or synthetic teak so not worried about that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The areas under my washboards would get dirty, especially during winter lay-up.
Some of that dirt was mold from the dampness and lack of sunlight due to the boat being shrink-wrapped.

If you are sold on painting, proper prep will be needed which should start with a good cleaning.
Get yourself a spray bottle like those sold by Home Depot or Lowes and fill it with 50% bleach and water.

Wet the underside with a hose and scrub the area with a good boat soap and Simple Green.
If there is any wax under there, the Simple Green will remove it.

Rinse the area again, they spray with the bleach solution and walk away.
Come back later after the area drys and lightly rinse again with a hose.

You might find that you don't need to paint.

Latest posts

Back