picking the right transducer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stripbait

Reaction score
hey guys need some help I have a 2520xl 2013 I have already a furuno585 with a tm 258 just got a garmin 7610xsv trying to pick the right transducer for it I like to wreck fish bass blackfish sandy hook area nj should I go with a through hull or transom mount iam getting lots of opinions was told either a b75m or b175hw or a gt51tm just don't want to get the wrong one thanks for any help

The built-in sonar capabilities of the GPSMAP 7610xsv include 1 kW dual CHIRP sonar.

The 175 is a 1000watt X-Ducer........ The 75 is a 600watt X-Ducer.

The 175 is what you want.... Why handicap the equipment? This unit will take a 3 3/4in hole thru the bottom of your boat.

Order a Mix & Match X-ducer in that model. Mix and Match X-ducers have a changable cable...This is for future use.
If you sell the boat and new owner wants to change to say...Simrad. All that has to be changed is the cable.
No cutting or changing the whole X-ducer.

The unit also has SideView. This is where the GT50 cones in.... It is a transom mount.

thanks warthog on the 175 witch model were I fish is no deeper than 110ft some time deeper when iam sharking iwas looking at 175hw or 175 m there so many to choose from

I got the b175 but does itdo sidescan or do I need a gt51 tm too what do u think about the b175hw model just want to make sure before making a 3inch hole lol

Well to start..... It's Not a 3in hole...It's a 3 3/4in hole. Make it aprox 18in to 24in forward of the transom and 6in to 8in STB of the keel.

Yes the B175HW would be a good choice for you. The W stands for wide beam. It's a constant 25degs. This gives you a larger circle on the bottom.
http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=167

The B175H has a 15deg to 9deg beam width.
http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=46

The 175 is NOT a side scan. That has to be done with the GT50.. ... BUT! If it was mine, I would not use the transom mount. Transom mounts by themselves are bad enough, but these side scan X-duces are long. They look like crap and are varanable to be hit.. On a bracketed boat I especially hate transom mounts, because the cable has to be run all over the the place.

Here's the unit I'd use. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540988

It's a thru hull GT50....... Mount it even with the B175 , but on the Port side. That fairing block has to be cut on a bandsaw to match the hulls deadrise.

I don't think that's going to work I have a trailer that I keep it on in the winter monthsor will it fairing block be in the way that's way I was going with b175hw flush mount is side scan worth all this trouble seems to be a pain I thought they have a all in one transducer flush mount I guess not my transducer now is a tm 258 never had a problem with it that's to my furuno 585

It all depends on your trailer setup.

Post pix's of your trailer from the ass end and I'll let you know.

By the way..... The B175 still sticks out 3/16in.

stripbait":2b4s6yv6 said:
I don't think that's going to work I have a trailer that I keep it on in the winter monthsor will it fairing block be in the way that's way I was going with b175hw flush mount is side scan worth all this trouble seems to be a pain I thought they have a all in one transducer flush mount I guess not my transducer now is a tm 258 never had a problem with it that's to my furuno 585
I use the GT52HW-TM with a 7608xsv and am pleased with the images. Below is a link to some of the phone images I took of some wrecks. The transducer is only 6 inches long, but be sure to get their spray-shield to prevent rooster tails spraying onto the outboard. I too trailer a couple months a year, and figured I would get a 3-in-1 mode transducer and not have a hole in the hull bottom.

Where in S. Jersey are you? I'm in Pittsgrove, but slip in Cape May.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16385

Attachments

• Transducer 1.jpg
    Transducer 1.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 609
  • Transducer 2.jpg
    Transducer 2.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 608
  • Transducer 3.jpg
    Transducer 3.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 608
  • Transducer 4.jpg
    Transducer 4.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 608
thanks guys jeresyjim ur link for picks not working the gt52 I thought was a fresh water transducer I was told to go with gt51 how do I post picks never did before iam not so good with these photo skills loli could take picks with my phone then what lol I do later today

thanks jim nice picks were did u mount it an does u lose bottom at speeds iam still having issues load picks up I tried ur way still says too large of file I had my aunt try it not happen when I go to brouse then hit file it still says file to big I fish sandy hook area about same water depths I was told to go with a b175hw flush mount transducer how do u like just using the gt50

stripbait":128xggbk said:
thanks jim nice picks were did u mount it an does u lose bottom at speeds.........how do u like just using the gt50
I have never lost bottom with the GT52HW-TM, even in excess of 40 mph. I took every precaution to mount it precisely where I thought it would perform the best (see pick below). Also, the excerpt I show below shows the differences between the GT50 & GT52. The angles are slightly different, but the 50 handles double the power, and goes twice the depth (1500 feet vs 800 feet on conventional). Both are 3-in-1 chirp modes, both use the upper frequencies (455khz/800khz) on the side & bottom-scan modes. Mine is 6 inches long, the GT50 may be 9-inches long I think. I use mostly at depths under 100 feet, so higher chirp frequencies were important to me for side-scanning. I was told at BOE Marine, that the GT52 was improved, and an improvement over the other models. I recommend looking over the Garmin Transducer selection guide on the Garmin site. It has Airmar transducers also.

Attachments

• Potted%20Holes.jpg
    Potted%20Holes.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 585
  • GT50-52.jpg
    GT50-52.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 585
jim is your hull a deep v mind is 16 degree with bracket on back would I mount it the same way just trying to make sure do u thing the side scan is worth it for wreck fishing

stripbait":17gb1dea said:
jim is your hull a deep v mind is 16 degree with bracket on back would I mount it the same way just trying to make sure do u thing the side scan is worth it for wreck fishing
Those 2 transducer models cover both the same 0-70 degree hulls. Mine is 21 degree. You cant go by my placement, as the strakes on both sides of my ducer will be spaced differently than yours. However, when determining placement, you have to evaluate your hull in front of the ducer, all the way up to the bow. You need undisturbed water flow. Keep in mind, side & bottom scan is more effective for structure, not fish. You switch to conventional mode to see more detailed fish marks. I will never have another boat without side scan. However, I spearfish down on the wrecks. Not that you need any less information about the structure, in fact, you may need more. Did you follow my link above to some of the sonar images? You tell me if that would be more usefull.

jim I love those picks so u mounted the transducer on the lower step of hull it looks like u have it close to trim tab on starboard side I took picks of my transom cant load them I tried ur way imust be doing something wrong I might do a through hull an transom mount for side scan b175hw an gt52 I wish I could see some that has a set up around hear thanks for all ur help

Just read the install instructions that come with the X-ducer....It will tell you where to install it.

I still contend that especially on a bracketed boat. Cables running all the way around the tub and platform is VERY unsightly.

warthog i have picks of my the back of my boat on trailer to show how the other transducer was ran but iam having problems putting them up wanted to show u the back of boat so I don't make a mistake haven't decide on what is best for my needs

Back