Pop up cleat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker Mark

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have another question for anyone...

My preivous boat had pop up cleats and I liked them very much. (Things never got caught on them... including my toes. LOL) So I'm looking for 4 of them. The original cleats are 8 inches long. The average size I keep finding are about 6 inches. Is that large enough? Also, does anyone have suggestions on what brand they would use? TY

Have another question for anyone...

My preivous boat had pop up cleats and I liked them very much. (Things never got caught on them... including my toes. LOL) So I'm looking for 4 of them. The original cleats are 8 inches long. The average size I keep finding are about 6 inches. Is that large enough? Also, does anyone have suggestions on what brand they would use? TY
In my opinion (IMHO for the youngsters among us ☺), most boats are equipped with cleats that are too small. My rule of thumb for cleats and anchors is to have the largest that I, and the boat can handle.... To me 6" cleats on a 23 foot boat are way too small. (at least 8" or 10" would be my preference). With smaller cleats, much of the time you can barely tie two lines on the same cleat unless you use undersized lines, and if you travel on the boat and tie up at a variety of docks, there are times you will wish you had MORE cleats, and LARGER cleats..... BUT, for people who only trailer their boats, and use the cleats to tie a couple lines to the dock at the ramp for a few minutes while backing in the truck, the cleat-sized is almost immaterial. (Who cares, except for the next person who buys your boat!) If you plan to keep your boat at a dock, in the water, long-term, you need large cleats, to accommodate larger dock lines, and cleats that will accommodate more than one dock line. When I've kept boats at docks (Which I've done for well over 35 years) I used two large bow lines, four spring lines, and two crossed stern lines. (Tripled that during 'storms')... One of the boats had only two mid-ship cleats, (Another had 4) requiring I have at least two lines on each cleat. These were 12" and 14" cleats, (14" on the larger boat) and they were barely large enough to do the job at times..... I didn't mean to ramble on like this.... In short, Go Bigger Than 6" on a 23' boat.

Last edited:
In my opinion (IMHO for the youngsters among us ☺), most boats are equipped with cleats that are too small. My rule of thumb for cleats and anchors is to have the largest that I, and the boat can handle.... To me 6" cleats on a 23 foot boat are way too small. (at least 8" or 10" would be my preference). With smaller cleats, much of the time you can barely tie two lines on the same cleat unless you use undersized lines, and if you travel on the boat and tie up at a variety of docks, there are times you will wish you had MORE cleats, and LARGER cleats..... BUT, for people who only trailer their boats, and use the cleats to tie a couple lines to the dock at the ramp for a few minutes while backing in the truck, the cleat-sized is almost immaterial. (Who cares, except for the next person who buys your boat!) If you plan to keep your boat at a dock, in the water, long-term, you need large cleats, to accommodate larger dock lines, and cleats that will accommodate more than one dock line. When I've kept boats at docks (Which I've done for well over 35 years) I used two large bow lines, four spring lines, and two crossed stern lines. (Tripled that during 'storms')... One of the boats had only two mid-ship cleats, requiring I have at least two lines on each cleat. These were 12" and 14" cleats, and they were barley large enough to do the job at times..... I didn't mean to ramble on like this.... In short, Go Bigger Than 6" on a 23' boat.
You're not rambling. I do agree with everything you have said. TY

There are Pop Up Cletes...and there are Pull up Cleates.

There are also Folding Cleats.

Pull up....you physically grab and Pull it up....Has a friction fit.

Pop up's have a button and are spring loaded....Push the button and it Pop's up. These are the ones I installed on the Mako I built.....You must have access to the underside. They are more expensive...But very refined. I had a 10in on the Bow and 8's on the Stern quarters. Mine were Accon Marine units.....I'd buy them again. High quality...."EXPENSIVE"

Although I never purchased pull up cleats from GEMLUX, I have purchased thru hulls and latches from them and their quality of product and service after the sale is second to none. They do have 6, 8, 10+" pull up cleats at a reasonable price (not cheap price) but their quality of stainless is awesome. Here is a link

https://gemlux.com/collections/boat-cleats

I have pull ups on mine. A prior owner installed them. They are very high-quality stainless steel, probably the six-inch size you are seeing, which seems plenty adequate. Some easily pull up while others require a little more force, but all work very well.

Although I never purchased pull up cleats from GEMLUX, I have purchased thru hulls and latches from them and their quality of product and service after the sale is second to none. They do have 6, 8, 10+" pull up cleats at a reasonable price (not cheap price) but their quality of stainless is awesome. Here is a link

https://gemlux.com/collections/boat-cleats

I used the Gemlux ones on my 1700. They’re bulletproof. I would highly recommend them. That said, they do sit about 1/2” proud of the deck in the stowed position, so if you’re looking for a totally flush option, pop-up is probably your best bet. 754AE837-0402-450B-8864-30388FA3342C.jpeg

Sir, what size of gemlux pull up cleats did you install on your 17?
Thank you.
Chance

Back