Potential new owner

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njrobert

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am interested in possibly purchasing either a 2008 or 2009 2530 extended cabin next Spring. I will be moving from a fairly new 28 Albin single screw diesel w/ bow thruster and all the creature comforts of home. After 2 years, lack of my family interest in boating and fishing tells me it's time to say goodbye to this "other woman" in my life, though somewhat reluctantly.

Today I went to see a 2530 Ext. cabin at a dealer, who had a single Yamaha 350 on the back. I'm wondering if this boat might run (and dock) more efficiently, with smaller twins on it? There has been much debate about single vs twin outboards. I'm also interested in knowing opinions from anyone as to how the boat rides, in general? It will be about a 3,000lb drop in boat weight for me. How does Parker handle the seas?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

I have the 2530 with twin 225's. in my opinion depending on where you are the 150s would probably be a better motor than the v6s they just cruise too fast that you can actually run most of the time. Docking with that 350 would be trick since its on the custom bracket making it further away from the transom and the bigger pilothouse catches wind pretty good so its nice to be able to spin the boats with the engines. that being said youll learn what you can and cant do. Having the 350 would be fun since youd be one of the only people with it. But its up to you and your decision if you want one engine or 2. as far as handling the seas its about what you would expect from a pilothouse. slow down and youll be fine. I changed out my props to the 4 blade rev 4 and can not tell you how much better of a ride i get now in the rough stuff. It is pretty awesome in a following sea though. Keep posting questions and there are 2 other guys on here with the 2530 that typically respond

I appreciate the feedback. Yes, I know all too well about a following sea, with my Albin and that skeg keel. Interesting that the 2530 would have the same problem. I will be on the lookout for other replies and thank you.

I tend to agree about the single on the back, whether its a 350 or a 950, it's still single with one prop. Docking stern first between pilings, is the norm in my area, so every little bit helps.

i have a 2530 with twin 150 two strokes. the boat handles very well with the 150s, we havent ever had too little power in any situation. in terms of docking, we dont actually use the twins against each other, as for us, they really arent far enough apart on the bracket to have much rotational pull. but overall, very pleased with the twins versus the single.

I've got a 2510 with twin f150's (same hull as the 2520dv), and I do use the engines against each other to pull out of my slip, but not to dock. It's just the way I do it, maybe not the way someone else would.

My fairway is actually slightly narrower than the length of my boat with pulpit and bracket. So for me, pulling out requires more finess than backing in. The engines do a good job spinning the boat - I never turn the wheel pulling out.

Go figure.

I have to agree that a single 2530 must be a bitch to dock. When I first got mine the wind would catch me off guard sometime and spin it. There is one guy here with a green 2530 with a single on it, be interesting to see what he thinks.

As far as the ride? the 2530 will bounce a little more than the Albin, my friend has that same boat. Just remember you are going from an inboard to an outboard, very different animals. As was said before, slow down and the boat becomes a tank.

I love mine, very good all around boat, family and fishing.

Brad - can you tell us more about the rev 4's?

njrobert":2dx49yz2 said:
I tend to agree about the single on the back, whether its a 350 or a 950, it's still single with one prop.
Oooooooooooohhhhh ... want to trade boats :?: ??

I realize that my 28Ft Albin is going to be alot heavier (around 4 1/2 tons) than a 2530, even with twins. This might be "overkill" but does anyone know if there's enough room on this model for a bowthruster?

njrobert":2qo9k94c said:
I realize that my 28Ft Albin is going to be alot heavier (around 4 1/2 tons) than a 2530, even with twins. This might be "overkill" but does anyone know if there's enough room on this model for a bowthruster?

i doubt it, youd have to check with the factory but from the looks of the cabin footwell, about where youd install it is where the footwell floor starts.
but all that aside, it would TOTALLY be overkill. the boat spins very nicely, even when youre not using the engines to dock, just directing the props when in reverse and push-pulling the boat with the engines. really, once you get behind the wheel, i think you'll be suprised when you find out how nimble a boat it is.

I agree, no need for a thruster. Better spending the money and electrical power on a windlass. :D

As long as you pay attention to the wind on the pilot house and use that to your avantage, the 2530 is a very good boat. I enjoy using and docking mine. 8) 8) 8)

Come up to CT and I'll take you out for a ride. :D

the Rev 4 made a huge difference in almost every aspect. Gets on plane quicker and easier. Bow stays down on take off more. Can plane at much slower speeds almost 21mph. Top speed can take it up to 53mph on my boat with the twins. But the most important thing to me is it keeps the bow down without having to use the tabs when crusing so you land alot softer and cut through the waves a lot better.

njrobert":27t6i882 said:
I tend to agree about the single on the back, whether its a 350 or a 950, it's still single with one prop. Docking stern first between pilings, is the norm in my area, so every little bit helps.

My slip is a 90 degree turn into and out of a narrow fairway. Leaving while traveling forward requires a 3 point turn going out, unless the wind is from the north. In a north wind condition, I use the wind to my 'advantage'... Ease out of the slip and let the wind carry the bow off, then back her out.

I think Dale witnessed this maneuver once. :D

Backing in is easier. Use the motor as a 'tractor' to pull you into the outboard piling opening, with a last minute shift into forward to spin the boat on it axis and line it up. Drop it back in reverse and slide into the slip.

Trust me... I didn't learn the technique overnight, but it didn't take long to get the mechanics down. These days I don't sweat putting her anywhere I want.

I would recommend adding the bow thruster. I had a 2520 XLD with the F350 on it and the first factory installed bow thruster. You can dock the boat on either side and put it in any hole, regardless of tide or wind. It is cheaper than the second engine option and in the long run less operational cost.

I would be glad to put you in touch with the current owner who swears by it. He came out of a 35 Carolina with twins. Just send me a PM.

Back