Prop for a 2024 2100SE with F150

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"Right now from the dealer my boat has a Yamaha 17M 14-1/4" prop.
I want the boat to plane out at a lower rpm.
My WOT rpm is probably around 5600.
Is this boat "over proped" from the factory?

No.... Engine is designed to turn 5500 -6000.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/300-150-hp/in-line-4
But what is that Hull rated for? I'm betting 150Hp on a 21ft hull is on the LOW power side.
Rated for 200 if I’m not mistaken.
I’ve read posts that a 175 was a complete waste of time and the 200 gains are minimal and would not be worth the added fuel costs.
I’ve been thinking about a Sharrow prop so instead of cruising at 4000 I would probably cruise at 3500-3600.
The fuel savings would pay for it over the next couple of years. Range would increase too.
Trying to get reviews on these props is a crap shoot.

Haven't seen a boat Yet that didn't put a smile on your face with a extra 50HP.

Jumps up on plan faster..... Maintain same speed at less RPM.

Cape Horn's 19 Center console with a 150 is bare minimum. Knew a person that had one with a 130. It was a Pig. 200's on those boats preform well. It's a 19....... Yours is a 21.

Engine height makes a difference and is the first thing to adjust Before a Prop change.

Haven't seen a boat Yet that didn't put a smile on your face with a extra 50HP.

Jumps up on plan faster..... Maintain same speed at less RPM.

Cape Horn's 19 Center console with a 150 is bare minimum. Knew a person that had one with a 130. It was a Pig. 200's on those boats preform well. It's a 19....... Yours is a 21.

Engine height makes a difference and is the first thing to adjust Before a Prop change.
I think Parker knows what height to mount engines on their boats.
Maybe not.

Don't need to go faster just want to cruise and plane at a lower rpm.

Any Data on Sharrow props??

I think Parker knows what height to mount engines on their boats.
Maybe not.

First thing we do is test & test. It's obvious you haven't been here long, as changing engine height or at least testing a different engine height is a pretty common thing around here..... Or Was.... I've noticed a change in this forum.
Why is that? Because the manufacture / dealer doesn't care if you get max speed or fuel millage.... They just care that it work's.

Don't need to go faster just want to cruise and plane at a lower rpm.

See above...... Raising the engine frees the boat up... causes less drag and will increase the engine top RPM. After that you may need a prop change.

Any Data on Sharrow props??

I've seen them advertised, that it... Never seen one or tested.

During the pandemic, or what ever that thing was, I had to repower my 2100 DV. I bought it used with a 225 Merc. At that time engines were scarce.
Really scarce. I had to settle for a Merc 150. I was very concerned about being under powered. I was pleasantly surprised. But that isnt what were talking about today, its props. Call Ken at the Prop Gods. He is the man. Tell him your needs and he will set you up with the right prop. He sold me a four blade prop that does give more stern lift and will hold me on plane a lower RPM. That is more important here on the West Coast than WOT numbers. We can rarely go fast.
Look up Ken online and give him a call.

Nothing worse than an underpowered boat, and they are dangerous in a following sea.
The boat is not underpowered at all.
I go through following seas in a nasty rip at Montauk, NY on the biggest of tides without a blink. More awareness and skill than just horsepower. I was on a boat with tons of power (225 Optimax) in the same rip which had the back of the motor swamped and lost two cylinders.
That was a little unnerving but it was an operator issue not a horsepower issue.

I got a 6 inch atlas Jack plate with the f200. I tested 5 different props and finally settled on a 3 blade REL14 pitch (from blade tech). My boat came with a reliance series 17 pitch. Even with the f200 I could not get on plane with kids sitting on the aft platform. My max RPM were 5000 with the original prop. I first tried to add the jack plate to help improve the hole shot and was not successful. With the 14 pitch prop I settled in the middle for 56–5700 top end rpm and getting on plane faster. Still sluggish getting on plane for me as I came from a smaller 2 stroke pathfinder but it’s something I’m getting used to. I would definitely do some prop testing it makes a big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_9143.png
    IMG_9143.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 1
Still sluggish getting on plane for me as I came from a smaller 2 stroke pathfinder
Off subject here but your comment reminded me of when I was a kid and I had to share it. My dad had a 12 foot aluminum boat with a 10 horse Merc. Really old one. The transmission was stuck in forward gear and the engine wouldn't start unless you had it full throttle. When you pulled that starter rope you better hold on to your underwear! That boat was never in the hole. It literally jumped on plane and was off like a rocket. It was amazing how fast that little boat was. In those days you didnt have to register a boat in N.C. that was 10hp or under. The Wildlife man used to pull my dad all the time for no registration numbers. They would argue about it because the cowling said Mark 15.

Back