Pros and Cons of outboard brackets

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweendeck

Reaction score
I would like to know what 2310 owners think about a bracketed outboard with full transom vs. non bracketed with open transom? I am looking at a 2003, 2310 with a Yamaha 225 four stroke. It does not have a bracket, and I was thinking that for offshore fishing a full transom with a bracket mounted outboard may be better. I fish in southern California (San Diego) area. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

For 3 years I have run my 23 SE with notched transom and F-200. Prior to that I ran my 21 SE with notched transom for 7 years. I never had a problem with water coming over, even in some rough seas, and I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable because of the notched transom. Either way, both are fine, and if / when I am in the market for my next Parker, the transom style probably would not be a deciding factor for me. Both have their pros and cons and I would be able to live with either happily. Since I do have the notch, I am a biased fan of it, but here are my opinions on the matter, both PRO and CON:

PRO:
- Motor is closer to the boat and easier to fish around off the back, versus hanging off back on a bracket.
- If you hit something and wrap it up in the pro, somewhat easier to get to the prop from the safety of being inside the boat. Same thing with Engine trouble - should something go wrong, and you need to pop the cowling, you can do so from inside the boat.
- I like the lines of my boat better
- I have always felt that if I ever took a big wave over the bow or otherwise took on water, that it would drain out quicker with the notched transom.
- When I'm on the floor in the back cutting bait, I can just rinse my hands off real easy without getting up or leaning over the side.
CON:
- I do have 3 little kids, and the full transom would provide a little more security for them. The have the desire to want to go back there and touch the water, however I was able to eventually cure them of this when they got a little older.
- Sometimes I wish I had the full transom with the fishboxes and storage back there. That would be nice.

Like I said, I would personally be comfortable with either.

I have owned both (my previous boat was a notch), and my present boat has a full transom and motor bracket.

I can say that I never had an issue with my notched transom, nor have I had an issue on any friends boat that was configured with a notch.
Could this 'issue' be an urban legand?

I do like my full transom though. It provides me with additional cockpit seating, a rigging/bait prep area, a sunpad, and a casting platform. The area inside and below provides me extra storage space and hides my washdown pump, trim tab HPU, oil tank, and other items that would otherwise be exposed.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. :)

Ask the people who died in DE Bay last fall if they would have rather had a full transom over cut out transom without splash gate when their anchor rope got tangled in the prop facing the stern directly into a heavy chop that filled the boat until it capsized. Yes it was an error that the rope got caught in the prop but sometimes stuff happens and happens quick...

B-Faithful":2thqqyhn said:
Ask the people who died in DE Bay last fall if they would have rather had a full transom over cut out transom without splash gate when their anchor rope got tangled in the prop facing the stern directly into a heavy chop that filled the boat until it capsized. Yes it was an error that the rope got caught in the prop but sometimes stuff happens and happens quick...

Have got to admit that it is a very rare type of accident and, I dare say, would not have bode well had that been a full transom either.

In fact, it may have capsized quicker due to the fact that with a notched transom the notch creates an outlet for the water whereas the full would only be able to drain through the scuppers.

Kind of hard to get water up to the gunwales with a notch. Betcha could with a full.

Not a real historian but havent notched transoms been the norm for a lot of years?

True, notched transoms have been around since the beginning of OBs. The popularity of brackets is a more recent thing.

The way I see it, a notch is a characteristic of a hull just as a bracket, freeboard height, scuppers, strakes, steps, you name it. They all have their particular advantages and vulnerabilities. As a boat owner all you can do is be aware of scenarios that will get you into trouble and avoid those situations.

On more than one occasion I have seen on the news were a Baha (full transom) has gone out on a calm day and anchored purposely from the stern because getting to the bow can be a PITA. The occupants have gone diving only to return to their nice new Baha resting on the ocean floor as the Gulf's newest wreck.

jim

I have had both and think the safety issue is marginal. I currently have the bracket/swim platform on the 2300DV CC and love it for the following reasons:

- It effectively gives you another foot or two of useable space in your cockpit.
- Engine noise is reduced behind the enclosed transom
- Fish box is a great addition to storage
- More of a finished look to the cockpit
- Never have to worry about the kids getting at all close to the engine
- Great for swimming and access for tubing, wake boarding and such

That's it.

Have to agree with Dave, the issue of notched v. bracket is a matter of utility, safty is not the issue.

Driving, flying or boating can be dangerous activities if the machines are pushed beyond design limits.

Bracket has a lot of advantages as mentioned, but so does the notch. I happened to like the notch just because its easier to fight large fish off the stern. The extra cocpit space would be nice though.

One note on the notched transom. There are awfully big vessals out there with no transoms at all. Seiners, crap boats on up to naval ships that are open at the stern all the way to the waterline. They seem to get by without taking on water. They work the same way my little Parker does, just bigger.

grouperjim":3mn8hugz said:
The occupants have gone diving only to return to their nice new Baha resting on the ocean floor as the Gulf's newest wreck.

jim

Sorry to hear that. Did they give the location? :wink:

I looked high and low for a 2310 with the bracket as I do not like the notch. The intrusion of the motor into the cockpit on the notch just takes up too much cockpit space IMO. We use the transom fishbox as a cooler, further saving space. Also if you dive, the large swimstep formed by the bracket, combined with the nifty Armstrong dive ladder is really worth the price of admission. The motor on the bracket being further back and somewhat shielded by the full transom, makes the cockpit much quieter, too.

I have a notched transom and love it. The main reasons I went with it is I have more cockpit room (not less) and I always land fish on the stern when trolling. For me the bracket would be a big PITA. One of the main advantages of having a full transom and a motor on a bracket is the motor is mounted further back and simulates a larger boat giving a better ride. This is also a drawback as you are adding weight to the stern making it harder to plane. I think it is a matter of preference and both are only as safe as the captain. I would try to consider your intended use and buy accordingly. I am sure you will be happy either way because it’s a Parker! :lol:

I suppose another way to look at a bracket is that it's stealing cockpit space? You could have a boat the same LOA with a notch and much more room in the cockpit.

I really like the extra large deck space on my 2310. I prefer the bracket. I agree with BAJADUDE. Quiet, lots of deck space. No problem fighting fish around transom. My buddy also has a 2310. His is a notched transom. I fish with him alot. and he really likes his. Like people are saying, which ever u go with u will be happy. The full transom is aprrox. 4k dollar upgrade. See u on the water in SD. Keeping her another year.

I've had a 23SE with a notch and now 2520DVSC with a notch. Fishing montauk with my stern to some really huge rips has never been a problem.

One advantage to the notched transom is easier tight quarters maneuverablilty over bracketed motor. Good Luck.

optimaxfish":13ahac1y said:
Why would one purposely set out to violate one of the most basic rules of seamanship anchor stern to sea

I've been round and round with this on other forums. We anchor stern to for several reasons:

1: the breeze comes into the cockpit

2: it's easier to manage the anchor

3: there's less/no noise in the V berth when anchoring overnight

Some of it seems to be a Left vs Right coast thing...the Columbia River vs the Atlantic ICW -- heck over here on he Right Coast a 3 kt current is a rarity; we're as likely to tie up to a tree as drop the hook in less than 10' of water.

As for 'violating' basic rules... Give me one good reason to spend hard earned money on a boat! :lol:

I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot, just expressing the views of a laid back Atlantic ICW boater.

Note the stern mounted ground tackle (and sans chain even):
IMG_2487.jpg

Interesting thread here on notches and anchoring. Guess I can share my experience too for whatever it is worth. For me, safety comes first and more freeboard to me suggests more safety. Saying that, I have a notched 2120 and love it for reasons listed above but I pay special attention to the notch. I never simply go from all ahead to all stop without watching the stern wave, I keep the fiberglass barrier in place that crosses the boat in front on the engine, and I would never (no condition I can think of now) anchor anywhere for the night from my stern. Even when I had no notch, I would never anchor by my stern.

There are real reasons all the boat manufacturers put the anchors on the bow. When the unexpected storm comes, the boat needs to face the wind and waves if I am not moving. If it worked well with the stern facing the weather, then I could drive out to sea in reverse and have no concerns.

For ventilation, it is simple to open the forward hatch as well as the forward windows. For noise, yes it can be noisier to face the waves in the berths, but as long as I hear the laps, I know the boat is facing in the safest direction. Certainly it takes less effort to anchor (unless one has a windlass) to drop the hook off the stern but lots of things in life can be easier but not safer.

I have anchored many places the entire length of the ICW from NY to Key West and over to Mobile and never saw a boat anchored from the stern. Some in Canada drop the hook off the bow and run a line off the stern to a pine tree fro close to shore anchoring in crowded anchorages.

One night I recall in the ICW (and we had more than one similar to this one), we had just finished dinner and it was getting dark. Another boat was anchored to my port side and with no wind we were facing a slight current coming out of a large stream into the cut and the trees were barely moving.

As my head hit the pillow in the dark, a squall with whistling winds hit us from the stern. As I got to the wheel I saw my boat had turned 180 degrees and was now facing back out to the ICW and the anchor had reset because my searchlight shining on a tree to port was holding steady. The boat next to me had swung too and I could see the waves going over his pilothouse. I could see my rode stretched out forward so I fired up my engine in neutral in case I needed it and turned of the wipers as I swept the area over and over with my searchlight to make sure the anchor was holding, that the boat next to us was holding position, and that nothing was coming out of the storm directly into us. The VHF was crackling with the lightening and lots of traffic from boaters in distress. My wife had our emergency gear all set and it seemed odd to be riding into such large waves at anchor and to see the splash go over the pilothouse. Don't really know how long it lasted, but eventually the storm quit and our boats swung back into the current of the stream.

We checked other boaters and all were okay (some were aground but okay). Had I been anchored by my stern, even if the anchor line had not wrapped around the engine or the prop, it would have been difficult and dangerous to cut the anchor line and fire up the engine and turn the boat around in tight anchor quarters and violet weather. Notch or no notch, my stern would have been taking on lots of water. I'll keep my big anchor on the bow and drop it from the bow - lets me sleep well and know I have been responsible, best I know how, for my admiral or crew and me....................Pete

He said he fished with his stern to some big rips. I didn't hear him say he was anchored from the stern.

In about 800 hours of notched transom boating, I only had one incident. Drifting in 1' to 2' wind waves, a white cap broke in just the right spot to flood my deck such that the tackle boxes and other gear were floating. I started the engine up and got under way, and the water drained out.

It was a minor inconvenience that only resulted in some wet feet, but it also showed me what a dangerous potential comes with the notch. If the seas had been a bit larger and/or if I had been disabled, it could've been a completely different story. Since then, it's been a full transom for me.

Wow, I can't believe that I actually accidentally started a thread about anchoring stern to.

I DRIFT fish the montauk rips stern to the rip....NOT ANCHOR.

Actually, one of the scariest fishing days happend to me on a friends boat when, while anchored from the bow pulpit, the tide changed rapidly and the boat shifted around getting the anchor line wrapped in the prop essentially anchoring us stern to!! we nearly capsized while trying to free the anchor from the outboard....finally cut the line with a foot of water in the cockpit!!!

Never anchor stern to in any moving water.....period

BOB

Back