Question about second stations

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Live2fish

Reaction score
Has anyone here mounted their second station directly to the back bulkhead of the pilot house? I see a lot of the “boxes” added onto the house but that blocks the steps and I’m trying to minimize taking up that much room.

would I need to beef up the bulkhead to mount a steering wheel onto it?
Thanks!

Sure they have been installed on the aft cabin bulkhead.....Only you can deturmine if it's strong enough ,as your there installing it. But more than likely it would do better with reinforcement. Remember.....A steering wheel is also a grab bar.

Sure they have been installed on the aft cabin bulkhead.....Only you can deturmine if it's strong enough ,as your there installing it. But more than likely it would do better with reinforcement. Remember.....A steering wheel is also a grab bar.

Have you seen any pictures or could point me to any pictures of ones direct mounted? I can only the bulkhead box stations or free standing. I want it just for docking it’s a real PITA to run in and out of the cabin on the 28 with the wind here whipping the boat off the dock. I have to tie up on the “wrong” side when the wind is blowing and if I don’t have help can end up getting blown back into the channel real quick

On a vertical surface the steering helm will be fine....But the control is going to be unorthodox.

No I don't have pix's.....Yes I've seen pixs on here.

I do understand the docking problem. Pilothouses are really not designed for 1 person operation. A girlfriend I use to have through they were and you just drive it like a car.. Thats why I'd be screaming at her.....Why aren't you up there to tie off?

This is from my new 2320, it's a pretty big box.
The boat is still under wraps, just arrived today at the dealer.

1612067392074.png

1612067408186.png

1612067272805.png

1612067326449.png

--

The factory bulkhead 2nd station does not block that step, nor does it hinder the access to the starboard side forward walkway pass the pilothouse: It's truly a well thought out placement and design. What you are describing as reason for your direct bulkhead mount simply is not an issue.

My biggest issue with what you are describing is the rigging: Where would you put all the rigging for the hydraulic helm and rigging for the controls? I think that bulkhead mounted 2nd station "box" has great value in just keeping the rigging contained and presentable.

This is from my new 2320, it's a pretty big box.
The boat is still under wraps, just arrived today at the dealer.

View attachment 27547

View attachment 27548

View attachment 27544

View attachment 27546

--
Beautiful boat! Is that a 'Sea-Spension' helm seat pedestal? It's good to see Parker has installed the mid-ship cleats where they are reachable from the cockpit; on ours, the midship cleats are not 'midship' (too far forward) and are not reachable from the cockpit.... On our free-standing cockpit control station there are three buttons. 1) the station selection button. 2) the 'kill-switch' and 3) engine-start. (Just now verified this)..... I see there are only two on this console. I guess 'engine-start' has been deemed unnecessary?
(I edited this reply/comment; I went out to the boat to remind myself what #3 was; in case anyone read this the past 45 minutes))

Last edited:
The factory bulkhead 2nd station does not block that step, nor does it hinder the access to the starboard side forward walkway pass the pilothouse: It's truly a well thought out placement and design. What you are describing as reason for your direct bulkhead mount simply is not an issue.

My biggest issue with what you are describing is the rigging: Where would you put all the rigging for the hydraulic helm and rigging for the controls? I think that bulkhead mounted 2nd station "box" has great value in just keeping the rigging contained and presentable.

For rigging I’m not worried as I run electronic controls so a single wire plus the 3 hydro for steering tucked behind a cushion mounted to the wall won’t be an issue. I don’t mind a low profile box but I don’t want something sticking out as far as that one is nor any I have seen so far. I commercial fish out of the boat so having a second person is typical but if someone calls in sick I don’t have the leisure of sitting it out. And that’s where my concern of deck space is also coming from as room is precious on the boat.

Beautiful boat! Is that a 'Sea-Spension' helm seat pedestal?
Yes, it is supposed to have a suspension. We actually ordered premium chair, which has a bolster, so they are swapping it.

On our free-standing cockpit control station there are three buttons. 1) the station selection button. 2) the 'kill-switch' and 3) engine-start. (Just now verified this)..... I see there are only two on this console. I guess 'engine-start' has been deemed unnecessary?
I found a picture - shows the start/stop there:
1612151869426.png

I can now see the on/off switch with your close-up photo... I can also see the emergency cut-off right below it. How do you select which station/controls are 'active'? Is there a station 'selector switch' on the engine control?
I have mostly been in older Parkers and IIRC none of our see trials last year had a second helm, I believe there is a switch in the main helm throttle box, and then a blue light pops up on the box that's active or something like that, but I'm unclear on details; my dealer was baffled about those new throttle boxes, apparently Parker did not tell them about it, I guess Parker just does whatever it does, lol.

I have mostly been in older Parkers and IIRC none of our see trials last year had a second helm, I believe there is a switch in the main helm throttle box, and then a blue light pops up on the box that's active or something like that, but I'm unclear on details; my dealer was baffled about those new throttle boxes, apparently Parker did not tell them about it, I guess Parker just does whatever it does, lol.
Yours must be a new version of the 'fly-by-wire' controls. (Ours is the 2013 version). There is a 'station-selector-button' (it looks just like the 'on/off' button, mounted in the black, square, that looks just like yours) at both of the control stations on our boat. The control station inside the pilothouse is the 'primary'. It's where the ignition key is, so that makes sense. When the engine is turned on, a little blue light (like you mentioned) appears on the throttle base, indicating that that is the 'active/usable' control. To use and/or activate the cockpit control station, I have to push the other 'selector' button that's mounted beside the 'on/off' and 'safety' kill-buttons on the outside console. At that time, a little blue light will turn on, on the cockpit/outside throttle. (And of course, the blue light will turn off at the other throttle). There must be some kind of 'built-in 'station selector switch', possibly mounted on, or in the throttle itself, with your new boat/new technology controls.... I'm guessing there has to be one, as it would be a bad idea to have both stations 'active' at the same time..... Edit; It looks like the 'station-selection' button is on the left side of your throttle base. Looks like there are three 'button'/ push-in controls there. One is likely a new version of the neutral switch/button.

Last edited:
So I found some pictures of what I was looking for and what I’m going to hope to do. With as low profile of a control box as possible. Hopefully someone else looking for similar ideas can find this thread helpful aswell
Thanks
0D8D00B9-D488-42BD-BA9A-BDB5DAF9CAD9.jpegCB6FB132-46A4-41C9-93F5-E77F99B2BBA4.jpeg
picture of how unobtrusive the helm plumbing isFCD6DBEB-F975-49F3-9119-70872C43FB84.jpeg

Latest posts

Back