Raising a pilot house roof

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-K

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

Over the past few years I’ve been pondering this project. Essentially I’d pay a glass guy to cut the pilot house off below the windows. Then raise it up, level it, and re glass it.

I thought 2-4 extra inches would improve the head room and make it a little more spacious.

Anyone on here have any experience with a project like this?

Hey All!

Over the past few years I’ve been pondering this project. Essentially I’d pay a glass guy to cut the pilot house off below the windows. Then raise it up, level it, and re glass it.

I thought 2-4 extra inches would improve the head room and make it a little more spacious.

Anyone on here have any experience with a project like this?
You must have played basketball in your early life! I'm already regretting replying to this, but,....Just how tall are you?!!! ☺

You must have played basketball in your early life! I'm already regretting replying to this, but,....Just how tall are you?!!! ☺

Im 6-1 or so.
The pilot house on the 2320 is shorter then the 25 and 28 foot Parker’s.

Seems like fishing buddies are getting bigger too! Lol

That would be an expensive project!
if done right, to make it structurally sound.
Personally, on something like that I would probably put in larger windows as well (one area where I feel Steigers have an advantage). Or even slanted forward windshield - that would be a major improvement as far as increasing the space.

On the surface, any project is doable as long as you’ve got the budget. There’s a couple obstacles that come to mind:

1) The pilothouse walls are thin, maybe 1/4” or so. You’re going to have to grind a significant bevel into both sides in order to get anything structural out of it. That’s going to mean removing windows, rigging, etc. so the setup and replacement time are going to be substantial.

2) You’re going to have to re-rig anything that’s on the overhead of the pilothouse. Lights, electronics, etc. probably don’t have much if any slack in the rigging. You’re going to want to avoid the temptation to splice in an extra 4” of wire and call it good; to do it properly you’ll need to run all new wiring to those devices.

3) In order to get the access and to not contaminate the contents, they’ll probably have to strip everything out of the pilothouse. More setup/restore time.

4) You’re gonna need a new door, or you’ll be constantly tripping over the sill or banging your head. Tack on $700+ for a custom one.

All in all, it’s possible. But just because it COULD be done, doesn’t mean it SHOULD be done. If it’s that big an issue, I’d recommend selling your current boat while the market is hot and buying one with more headroom once prices plummet with $7/gal gas over the summer.

That would be an expensive project!
if done right, to make it structurally sound.
Personally, on something like that I would probably put in larger windows as well (one area where I feel Steigers have an advantage). Or even slanted forward windshield - that would be a major improvement as far as increasing the space.

Some northwest boat companies are doing the fwd slanted windows. I’ve read there is less electronics glare for those night or early morning runs.

I’ve never rode on a Steiger but agree they have some advantages over Parker. I’ve considered larger windows if I went this route.

On the surface, any project is doable as long as you’ve got the budget. There’s a couple obstacles that come to mind:

1) The pilothouse walls are thin, maybe 1/4” or so. You’re going to have to grind a significant bevel into both sides in order to get anything structural out of it. That’s going to mean removing windows, rigging, etc. so the setup and replacement time are going to be substantial.

2) You’re going to have to re-rig anything that’s on the overhead of the pilothouse. Lights, electronics, etc. probably don’t have much if any slack in the rigging. You’re going to want to avoid the temptation to splice in an extra 4” of wire and call it good; to do it properly you’ll need to run all new wiring to those devices.

3) In order to get the access and to not contaminate the contents, they’ll probably have to strip everything out of the pilothouse. More setup/restore time.

4) You’re gonna need a new door, or you’ll be constantly tripping over the sill or banging your head. Tack on $700+ for a custom one.

All in all, it’s possible. But just because it COULD be done, doesn’t mean it SHOULD be done. If it’s that big an issue, I’d recommend selling your current boat while the market is hot and buying one with more headroom once prices plummet with $7/gal gas over the summer.

I’ve considered those aspects. Realistically the components on the roof would be fairly easy and simplistic.

The helm rigging would get more complex. I have a wire bundle that’s about 2 1/2” in diameter that runs behind the bulk head. Most of the speaker wires, ducer cables, etc wouldn’t be that bad, but the hydraulic steering cables could be a PITA!

To get the adequate glass thickness and strength, I would think the build up would have to start from under the cap (walk around) area and build up the vertical wall.

Just a thought….

I agree in this case switching boats might be more doable as this is not a simple project, and the boat is fairly new. If she was twenty+ in need of new electronics and a gas tank etc. - be a different story..

As an aside though, I absolutely do not see prices plummeting, albeit they will likely flatten out somewhat; right now a good work boat is basically an asset... which is kinda crazy yet true given inflationary pressures and dwindling purchasing power of the $.
I bet you - there are smart people out there buying up all the new Parker loans to securitize them into tradable assets! lol
I'm joking, kinda...

--

Reactions: A-K
I agree in this case switching boats might be more doable as this is not a simple project, and the boat is fairly new. If she was twenty+ in need of new electronics and a gas tank etc. - be a different story..

As an aside though, I absolutely do not see prices plummeting, albeit they will likely flatten out somewhat; right now a good work boat is basically an asset... which is kinda crazy yet true given inflationary pressures and dwindling purchasing power of the $.
I bet you - there are smart people out there buying up all the new Parker loans to securitize them into tradable assets! lol
I'm joking, kinda...

--

The future of boat prices will be interesting to watch. There were some boats I was keeping on my short list for a possible upgrade. But seems like the price has jumped 30-50k on some boats.

I really like my boat I have rigged out nearly perfectly for the type of fishing I do.

Swap your boat for an older pilot house!
On some days my 2002 2320 cabin is like a giant sail. Wish it had less surface area on the sides.
That is an excellent point; also one of the reasons I chose the 2320 - low floor/cabin and low windage which comes in very handy in my crowded marina in Northern NJ.

--

The low cabin floor I actually like. I store ice, tuna, and gear up front. It keeps the weight nice and low. The lower weight profile helps keep the boat more stable and less tippy.

Sounds like a ton of work but it’s an interesting idea. I’m also pretty much right at the ceiling when I stand up straight in mine.

If two inches of added head space will fix it for you, you could look at just cutting the interior of the roof to within about 2-3 inches of the pilot house walls then raising that portion. Seems like an easier approach versus messing with the walls and the windows.

Thinking about the wiring is smart, and if you’re already chopping out the main section of the roof with this approach you could just adjust the placement of things to accommodate the wiring length.

this pic has the whole roof of this non-Parker boat domed, but I’m imagining this domed shape just on the part of the roof within the walls.

Attachments

• 75077A48-B198-477B-8D8F-4165D9A6E996.jpeg
    75077A48-B198-477B-8D8F-4165D9A6E996.jpeg
    842.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
It may be easier to lower the floor. It will make the step more dramatic!
That is taking Parker love to the next level!

Any concerns on moving the center of gravity higher on the boat? I expect Parker had a reason for the pilot house roof height.

Any concerns on moving the center of gravity higher on the boat? I expect Parker had a reason for the pilot house roof height.

This very thing has crossed my mind.

These hulls have been around a long time. The 2320 used to have a “tall” pilot house. If I raised mine 2”-4” it should be fine. Lots of guys run these 2320’s with full tuna towers and controls, with little center of gravity issues. There is a concern, but very unlikely it would change the center of gravity to a point where the hull would be unsafe.

This very thing has crossed my mind.

These hulls have been around a long time. The 2320 used to have a “tall” pilot house. If I raised mine 2”-4” it should be fine. Lots of guys run these 2320’s with full tuna towers and controls, with little center of gravity issues. There is a concern, but very unlikely it would change the center of gravity to a point where the hull would be unsafe.
Good point on the tuna towers, if you do add the extra height maybe not add a tuna tower!

Windows would stay the same...to expensive to replace [someone mentioned this.] Biggest headache I see is the grinding and the grinding /fiberglass dust in EVERYTHING! It would take some equipment to actually pick the top up and position it. Top would be temp fastened in place with wood and screws to hold the gap.....Fiberglass strip would be laminated on a bench......Doesn't need to be the full length.....manigable length.....like 4ft. Then those pieces laminated into the gap.

Like chopping a car top lowering it....angles change....It will be the same in raising it, But fiberglass will be easier to mold and blend.

It would need some really good modeling before cutting and I would not raise it much, as the boat will look out of proportion.....and remember you ARE raising weight on the boat... It's a subject to talk about, but will probably never happen. :)

Reactions: A-K
Back