Raising the height of your transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahare

Reaction score
Has anyone ever raised the transom on a Parker from 25 to 30 inches?

Or seen or heard of it?

I think this would be the next best thing to having a full transom with a bracket.

Anyone have issues taking water over their non-bracketed transom motor cut out?

If you were working on a larger boat, with a deeper deadrise, I'd agree with your notion of raising the transom to 30"

But you are working with a 23 SE. Let's be real ..... you aren't going to be fishing 50 miles offshore in this hull. You probably aren't going to find yourself in a situation where you are going to be taking waves over the transom. I just can't see a situation where a 30" transom is going to help.

I ran a 25 MV for many years in the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay. 25" transom. I can't ever recall a situation where I ever took water over the transom.

My advice ..... don't make this project more complicated than it needs to be. 25" has worked on this boat for 30 years. If you really want an "extra-piece-of-mind", then install a splash well 18" in front of the transom.

Hey GoodChance

I couldn't have said it better myself. You are 100 percent correct. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I needed to hear someone say what you said the way you did. I need to settle this issue in my mind and move on. Not changing it will be a real big time, trouble, and money saver.

In my 30 years with my SE 23 we have taken more water over the bow than the transom. It just looks so low cut out the way it is, especially if it had a v6 250 hp on it.

By the way, what power did you have on your 23 SE?

But you are working with a 23 SE. Let's be real ..... you aren't going to be fishing 50 miles offshore in this hull. You probably aren't going to find yourself in a situation where you are going to be taking waves over the transom.

Come to the Gulf Coast....... The situation can happen as close as 1 mile offshore.

Current running one direction.......wind blowing 180 deg the other......That's why we we like Full transom's and Brackets.

I'd never have a notched transom boat.....Unless is was that small that you never take it to the Gulf.

seahare":ubk1wj8h said:
Hey GoodChance

I couldn't have said it better myself. You are 100 percent correct. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I needed to hear someone say what you said the way you did. I need to settle this issue in my mind and move on. Not changing it will be a real big time, trouble, and money saver.

In my 30 years with my SE 23 we have taken more water over the bow than the transom. It just looks so low cut out the way it is, especially if it had a v6 250 hp on it.

By the way, what power did you have on your 23 SE?

I had a ETEC 225 on the 25MV.

If I were powering a 23SE, I'd look at a 200.

warthog5":acc7ck7v said:
But you are working with a 23 SE. Let's be real ..... you aren't going to be fishing 50 miles offshore in this hull. You probably aren't going to find yourself in a situation where you are going to be taking waves over the transom.

Come to the Gulf Coast....... The situation can happen as close as 1 mile offshore.

Current running one direction.......wind blowing 180 deg the other......That's why we we like Full transom's and Brackets.

I'd never have a notched transom boat.....Unless is was that small that you never take it to the Gulf.

If you can't prevent water over the transom in 23ft boat 1 mile off the beach then you need not be out there in 25kts of wind or need to work on seamanship.

My advice ..... don't make this project more complicated than it needs to be. 25" has worked on this boat for 30 years. If you really want an "extra-piece-of-mind", then install a splash well 18" in front of the transom.[/quote]

Exactly. We did on occaision have enough water come over the transom to be “annoying”... say when 3 big guys were all way back wrestling a tuna or etc. i added a “factory” removeable splash guard. i’ll go back and look for where i got it. It came from a referal from Parker. it came ready to “install” with all necessary parts. It attaches to each battery box with a slide latch, has a “notch” to go over the bilge hatch, and has take apart hinges on the deck so its super easy to move it and open the bilge hatch.

It won’t stop water from splashing in, but it def slows anything down enough to keep it off the deck while it drains.

I found a pic. Was meant to show someone a towing strap placement - but you can see the splash guard.

Attachments

• 7A923438-F1C1-4699-8136-06C7DC6838FB.jpeg
    7A923438-F1C1-4699-8136-06C7DC6838FB.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 234
It's all about preference. We run a 2520 with a 30" transom and l personally love the fishability of not dealing with having to pull fish around a bracket. In addition, it is much more easier to maneuver in tight corners. Always remember that everything with a boat is compromise. Never had a drop of water come over the 30" transom - not even close. Boat even came stock with the splash guard shown above but removed it to have more deck space when I took possession. Also, the transom is angled to push waves away if anchored in a situation with stronger wind against the tide and waves approaching the stern. Sorry Warthog but we disagree on this one.

Attachments

• x..jpg
    x..jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 218
So I am not to savvy on this, but, does it not matter that your anode is out of the water on the bottom of the tilt/trim pump? I would think it would be better for not having to change them from electrolysis, but maybe there’s more to it, like being grounded and what not. Does this make sense? I am thinking about raising my outboards a couple holes and was thinking if my bracket anode would be in the water still or partially in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoodChance":2c9q7e1i said:
warthog5":2c9q7e1i said:

If you can't prevent water over the transom in 23ft boat 1 mile off the beach then you need not be out there in 25kts of wind or need to work on seamanship.

My point was it's a whole different animal here on the Gulf Coast than where you are. Plenty of boats have sunk due to this...and not in 25Kt winds. Manufactures have a tendency to put hatches in splashwells that are NOT watertite. Defective pumps play a role in it too.

I'm working on a little 17 Cape Horn right now. It's getting a Armstrong 10 X 20 Hatch installed in the splashwell.
#1 For access
#2 cause their watertight

I'm not sure what your point may be Wart. I too am in the Florida Gulf of Mexico. I'm pretty familiar wit the water and it's behavior. Here we are ...... 120 miles offshore in the Gulf.

Attachments

• IMG_8801.JPG
    IMG_8801.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8798.JPG
    IMG_8798.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 183
The statement I made was in a anchored situation......Like anchored on a wreck....Bottom dropping.

Yep use to get the same disagreement from Jawz... He was from NJ also.

This is what happens...."Sometimes". With the boat anchored...It's pointing into the wind.....boats do that...:)
But the current is strong enough that it will pile water into a low splashwell on a notched transom.

Maybe that will make more sense?

Never had a problem fishing around a bracket....On slick days we'll stand on the bracket....We always pee off of it.

Back