Re-power Suzuki 300

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickw

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some information on a recent re-power in case anyone else is considering it. I have a 2520 2001 MV notched transom. I had some issues with the original 200 hp OX 66 and decided to start over. I picked the brains of several members on Classic Parker during this process (thank you).
I decided to go with a 300 Suzuki. Went with Suzuki water grip 3 - 17 - 16 prop.
I picked the boat up this Thursday and managed to get through the 10 hour break in already.
Prop is turning approximately 5850 rpms.
Boat jumps out of the water and flys. With 3/4 tank and 2 people it tops out at 43mph which feels crazy on this hull. Sweet spot seems to be 4300-4400 when its running 30-32 mph and averaging 2.6-2.7 mpg. Boat likes to be trimmed down a bit approximatly 60 percent which surprised me. Best part is the way the boat pushes through the water. The old motor would get pushed around with any following sea and almost come to a stop at time. The extra hp a20200806_193902.jpgnd huge prop keep the boat true and allow it to displace tons of water. After 10 hours and 130 miles I could not be happy with the choice to go with the 300. The motor is quiet at idol and really growls while running. I will update with additional numbers as the motor breaks in and I start to understand the fuel management more. I never tracked the fuel on the old OX, I just kept filling it up.

Local guy in south n.j. who was great. 300 only comes in fly by. Yes all the above is shown in the suzuki guage. Not loving the c10 yet but giving it a chance.

No problems. Plenty of water pressure. Mechanic suggested painters tape so there was no residue. Worked well.

23 as well. When I was comparing motors I couldn't get near that with any other brand.

Just wanted to share some information on a recent re-power in case anyone else is considering it. I have a 2520 2001 MV notched transom. I had some issues with the original 200 hp OX 66 and decided to start over. I picked the brains of several members on Classic Parker during this process (thank you).
I decided to go with a 300 Suzuki. Went with Suzuki water grip 3 - 17 - 16 prop.
I picked the boat up this Thursday and managed to get through the 10 hour break in already.
Prop is turning approximately 5850 rpms.
Boat jumps out of the water and flys. With 3/4 tank and 2 people it tops out at 43mph which feels crazy on this hull. Sweet spot seems to be 4300-4400 when its running 30-32 mph and averaging 2.6-2.7 mpg. Boat likes to be trimmed down a bit approximatly 60 percent which surprised me. Best part is the way the boat pushes through the water. The old motor would get pushed around with any following sea and almost come to a stop at time. The extra hp aView attachment 25767nd huge prop keep the boat true and allow it to displace tons of water. After 10 hours and 130 miles I could not be happy with the choice to go with the 300. The motor is quiet at idol and really growls while running. I will update with additional numbers as the motor breaks in and I start to understand the fuel management more. I never tracked the fuel on the old OX, I just kept filling it up.

I repowered with the same engine in 2019. I am now at 325 hours. So far I really like it but I am not where you are at top end , more like 38mph at 6000 RPM for me.

Depends on your load Mpellet. Also depends on your trim. My 2530 MV would do 42-43MPH But it's a scary ride. Pushing that hull that fast. Latter on it would not hit that speed. More junk loaded on. 2 people in the Crows Nest....Things like that.

Depends on your load Mpellet. Also depends on your trim. My 2530 MV would do 42-43MPH But it's a scary ride. Pushing that hull that fast. Latter on it would not hit that speed. More junk loaded on. 2 people in the Crows Nest....Things like that.

I understand that.

A buddy of mine has same boat as mine with same engine, we get identical performance #s both MPG , Top End etc. We laugh that we must have the slowest, heaviest 2520s ever built because everyone else consistently reports higher top ends and better fuel economy then we get with our 300 Suzukis model year 2019. Both of us are old guys who have run boats for decades, run offshore all the time and have owned our Parkers for well over a decade having worn out the original engines. Both of us familiar with loading & trim for optimal performance.......

Here on the Gulf Coast....I'd use these numbers when talking to someone.
Inside...IE: In the Bay and ICW 2.5MPG Outside in the Gulf 2.0MPG

The VERY Best My son reported was just him and the wife....and had it trimmed out to 2.8MPG

Thanks for the post. I re powered my 2003
23SE at the beginning of the summer with the Yamaha 4.6L 300. I also feel the same.. what a difference! The hull just plows through anything compared to the older HPDI 200.
6E6FEC3A-DED3-4211-83C5-1C08311BC85F.jpeg

I have a pair on a 2830 into my second season with over 500hrs change oil and filters as per Suzuki specs and can say I haven’t had a single issue with them and as of this moment couldn’t be happier 0B590A3D-FB3B-4256-BB75-2AAA736778EA.jpeg

Here on the Gulf Coast....I'd use these numbers when talking to someone.
Inside...IE: In the Bay and ICW 2.5MPG Outside in the Gulf 2.0MPG

The VERY Best My son reported was just him and the wife....and had it trimmed out to 2.8MPG

It’s funny when you know the boat well and can feel it surge “slightly“ as in everything is PERFECT and you glance down at the C10 and see over 2.0mpg. I see it occasionally but never for long. Not doubting your numbers, I am open ocean 99% of the time and it’s almost never calm. If I was running light, in calm water, for sure my #s would be better......

I have a pair on a 2830 into my second season with over 500hrs change oil and filters as per Suzuki specs and can say I haven’t had a single issue with them and as of this moment couldn’t be happier View attachment 25854
Having x2 of those white beauties on the transom has to push even a deep v 28 down the road very nicely.....

We have done all the break in on 2 flat days in the Delaware Bay so maybe the numbers are the best I will see. Boat is light right now because it was just put back in after being out for two months and just my 11 year old and myself. I will update numbers as I go and should have a better idea on the second tank I'm sure. Not sure if the pic will post right, but this is a little over half fuel and 2 on board. 2375 rpms, 30.2mph, and 2.67 gph. Break in is over so I won't run it wide open anymore.

Attachments

• 20200813_095229.jpg
    20200813_095229.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 26
I’m in SoCal. Was you Suzuki 300 installed for 23k ? If so, where can I get one and have it shipped to me?

repowered with the 300 in 2017....great motor. MPellet you in RI area?

Latest posts

Back