Real world experience going 2-Stroke to 4-stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Folks, Can anyone attest to the real world effect of replacing 2-stroke twin outboards on a 25' Parker with 4-Strokes.

Specifically I'm wondering how the additional weight affected the trim.

Are the scuppers high and dry?

300 punds is too much to ignore....

I can't speak to the 25' but the "real world" result of swapping out an OX66 250 for a Honda 225 on my 2320 EC was:

1. I got rid of a now unnecessary kicker motor, so there was no weight difference between old and new setups, except the weight is now centered and farther back. The scuppers ship water, but they always have. (I have an older 2330 with the gas tank in under the back deck)

2. I can now talk on the phone while driving and have the cabin door open

3. My passengers don't get seasick from the engine exhaust swirling behind the cabin

4. I no longer have two stroke oil taking up space in my cabinets, and I don't have to stop mid-channel on my way home to refill the oil tank in 4-6' seas, spilling oil on the deck and all over the inside of the bilge

5. I went trolling for salmon all day yesterday - 20 miles out, 8 hours of trolling, 20 miles back. Total burn was 17 gallons of gas, and the Honda purred along at idle all day long pushing the boat at perfect trolling speed for salmon (1.5 mph to 3.5 mph). No need for a "trolling motor". Overall fuel consumption has gone from somewhere around 1.4 MPG (statute) + 1 gal oil/30 miles to around 2.2 (and no oil). With a light load and two guys fishing, I regularly cruise at 26 mph SOG (statute) and get 2.4 to 2.5 mpg. Again, I think this will improve with a better prop. I'm pretty much making the payments on the new motor with the money I'm saving on gas and oil every month.

6. I no longer have to carry 100 lbs of tools and test equipment every time I take the boat out, and I no longer worry about making it home from each trip because of a finicky and unpredictable 2-stroke motor with a 1st generation computer and fuel injection system.

7. Hole shot is not quite as good, but I addressed that with a perma-trim. I'm still using the "El Cheapo" Titan stainless prop that came with the motor. I suspect it will be improved once I upgrade the prop to something like a Mercury Enertia.

8. Overall power and "driveability" is as good or better than the 250 2-stroke. Smoother power band, more low-end grunt, and at the top end, the VTEC really kicks in and moves the boat just fine.

I don't think I'd necessarily tell someone with a Trophy or Proline fiberglass "pop-out" boat to spend the money to re-power, but with a Parker, you have a hull that will last forever and something worth making the investment in a motor. That was the way I looked at it.

Good luck with your decision!

Brent

SBH2OMan":2o1u3fve said:
I don't think I'd necessarily tell someone with a Trophy or Proline fiberglass "pop-out" boat to spend the money to re-power, but with a Parker, you have a hull that will last forever and something worth making the investment in a motor. That was the way I looked at it.

True words...

Megabyte":3ra6z23j said:
SBH2OMan":3ra6z23j said:

True words...

The guy who redid this Proline might tend to disagree... :)

061-1.jpg

SBH2OMan":26dgt5ak said:
Again, I think this will improve with a better prop. I'm pretty much making the payments on the new motor with the money I'm saving on gas and oil every month.

I'm still using the "El Cheapo" Titan stainless prop that came with the motor. I suspect it will be improved once I upgrade the prop to something like a Mercury Enertia.
Brent:

Call or email Ken at www.propgods.com, tell him I sent you, and have him fix you up with a 4-blade prop, Merc Rev4 or PowerTech OFS or the clipped version.

jhendric":nixx662v said:
Folks, Can anyone attest to the real world effect of replacing 2-stroke twin outboards on a 25' Parker with 4-Strokes.

Specifically I'm wondering how the additional weight affected the trim.

Are the scuppers high and dry?

300 punds is too much to ignore....

If you can hold off on the repower a little, Yamaha is coming out with a lightweight F200 4cyl motor.

If you're open-minded, consider E-TEC. Best of both worlds, at least somewhat. Virtually no smoke/stink, sips oil, quiet (though not 4-stroke quiet), trolls well, 2-stroke P/W ratio.

I am definitly open minded...in fact I had arrived at the E-Tec 200s being the right choice, however my old smokies are running great this season so I held off....now I'm entertaining options again....the lightweight 200s sound like just the thing...I really like what BRP has done with Evinrude, my only real challenge is the dealer network in Morehead City NC for Evinrude is non existant, meanwhile there are about 50 Yamaha dealers...

SBH2OMan":1sot49a8 said:
3. My passengers don't get seasick from the engine exhaust swirling behind the cabin

4. I no longer have two stroke oil taking up space in my cabinets, and I don't have to stop mid-channel on my way home to refill the oil tank in 4-6' seas, spilling oil on the deck and all over the inside of the bilge

6. I no longer have to carry 100 lbs of tools and test equipment every time I take the boat out, and I no longer worry about making it home from each trip because of a finicky and unpredictable 2-stroke motor with a 1st generation computer and fuel injection system.

Brent

You've sold me !! No, seriously, my 250hp Ox66 is an amazing motor. It basically does not smoke (perhaps your oil rod was set wrong). I fill the 2.5gallon oil tank and can get nearly a full tank of fuel from it. (173 gallons). It's very very reliable. Known to be one if not THE most reliable engine of it's day. Maybe ever.

John_Madison CT":3rjik9vf said:
You've sold me !! No, seriously, my 250hp Ox66 is an amazing motor. It basically does not smoke (perhaps your oil rod was set wrong). I fill the 2.5gallon oil tank and can get nearly a full tank of fuel from it. (173 gallons). It's very very reliable. Known to be one if not THE most reliable engine of it's day. Maybe ever.

Apparently I was one of the unfortunately few that had a dog that just never seemed to run right. In addition, there isn't a mechanic within 200 miles of me that knows anything about Yamaha 2-strokes. As the saying goes, YMMV, but I am sure glad to be rid of that POS hanging off the back of my boat!

Back