Recommended bilge pump replacements

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
The "Automatic" part of my bilge pumps stopped working.(Factory Front and Factory rear 2003 2320DVSC)

What pumps do y'all suggest as replacements? I could just repair the floats, I guess. but they are 12 years old so why not go new?

I was thinking Rule 500s. Yes? No? Not big enough?

John

NOT BIG ENOUGH ... read this 1st, but sadly the pictures were hosted somewhere else and have been moved/lost ... but regardless it was an expen$ive boat that sunk w/ one OEM factory pump installed.

Link = viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6766

I can only recommend Johnson or Marpac pumps (same pump) as they rate as or amongst the best and have tested as having the highest output and lowest amp draw. I've seen Johnson pumps 16-years old that still worked. They (both) now come w/ built-in 'field effect sensing technology' that doesn't need an independent float switch.

I haven't had any problems with Rule's myself.

Typically use a 1500 & 2000 in the back. I use the Rule "Plus" float switches.

The wiring gets attached to a terminal block so that they cane easily be diagnosed if something fails or needs replacement.

100_4420.jpg

Not a big fan of the 'automatic' pumps, as they are always cycling 'looking' for water.
My bilge stays pretty dry (unless I hose it out), so I'd rather put my faith in good 'standard' pumps.
I have a pair of 1500 gph Rule pumps in the stern, and an 800 under the pilothouse.

All of my pumps are equipped with Water Witch 101 solid state switches.
http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteEl ... oduct.html

Unless you intend to upgrade the size of your bilge through-hull fittings, select the largest capacity pump for the fittings that you have, and also use discharge hose with a smooth interior for best results.

Attachments

• bilge.jpg
    bilge.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 432
I guess I didn't mean "automatic" they are OEM so what I should have said it the rear float failed and I have to manually switch the BP on to drain the rain water. Water Witch says something about rainwater not able to be sensed?

I am pretty sure that I will go with Rule 2000 in the stern and Rule 1500 under the bunks. I have no Idea whats the OEM because the boat is in my marina down Charleston :D

Pretty sure that the Water Witch solid state switches are not phased by rainwater that might get past your hatch and splash them.
The same *cannot* be said of the sensor for the high water alarm. For that, I had to fabricate a 'rain hat' (photo posted).
Works like a charm. 8)

If your boat is anything like mine, my single rear OEM pump was a 500 gph and the front one was a 300.
FWIW... 1500 gph forward is overkill. The largest you can use there (unless you upgrade your thru-hull) is an 800.

Attachments

• 01 rain shield.jpg
    01 rain shield.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 418
My primary pump is a diaphragm pump (self priming) that is mounted in a location where it's easily accessible. The pickup is mounted on a brass plate along with a Water Witch sensor. This setup gets the bilge as dry as possible since the Water Witch runs for 10 seconds after it quits sensing water and the diaphragm pump has valves the prevent backflow. I also installed an 800 Rule (with Water Witch) because the diaphragm pump while efficient, does not move a lot of water. I have a different piezo alarm on each pump so I know when they come on - I've never heard the Rule come on except for a manual test.

sump1%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

It looks like you store your boat afloat. Didn't say that, but your picture shows boat in a slip. Makes a difference. If you are always on your boat when it is afloat (i.e. dry storage or trailed) then your requirements are different. If your boat lives alone afloat 99% of the time you want the largest bilge pumps you can fit in the available space. Make sure you have a good battery charger to keep them running. Then install a high water alarm. Most sinkings occur at the dock with no one aboard. Think through what happens if water gets into the boat somehow... how long will the bilge pumps keep the boat afloat and what could go wrong. Rain, snow, leaking fitting, etc.

Steve, marine surveyor

Good point, Steve. It was in that marina in Deale, MD, but it has been trailered for the last few years. I am retiring to SC at the end of June. I put the boat in a marina down there last month. The marina is only 1/4 mile or so from my house.

John

Ordered Johnson 2200 GPH pumps with their fancy switches.

Bottom is getting painted right now, and I have to replace my main transducer as it got busted up while towing down here. Rock, I guess.

Thanks for the help

John

Back