Refrigerator

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father has a cooler that plugs into a cigarette lighter that has a cooling system. not sure it is as good as a "refrigerator" but it does cool some. He picked it up at sams club one year. I would think you need a generator or shore power to run a true refigerator.

Hey Greg, I have shore power and a honda 2000. I spend alot of money for my slip so I figured to at least use some electric. I like the idea of not having to mess with ice for drinks.

B-Faithful":e631401l said:
My father has a cooler that plugs into a cigarette lighter that has a cooling system. not sure it is as good as a "refrigerator" but it does cool some. He picked it up at sams club one year. I would think you need a generator or shore power to run a true refigerator.

If you have enough deep cycle batteries and an inverter you can run a DC powered refrig. I would use two deep cycle batteries just for the coolig and keep them charged when on the trailer or in the slip. Inverters are pretty cheap depending on the peak amp draw and wave cycle. Do a google search and you can find plenty of info on them.

Power isn't the problem, I'm just trying to figure out how to install. I was thinking of installing smaller model in companion seat behind helm, or removing seat and putting in free standing unit. Wanted to know if anybody else has installed one. Trying to get ideas.

These 12v/120v/240v portable refrigerators are awesome. Saw them all over Africa a couple of summers back...nearly every safari guide had them in the back of their Land Rovers. Our guide had the VW bus and only the factory starting battery. He would leave it running all night while we were in the lodge and the next morning all the drinks were COLD and the bus started like a champ.

They are also the fridge of choice in the Middle East and other remote countries. I believe they are the top seller world-wide. They are not cheap, but quality products never are.

http://www.engel4u.com/

Dave

aka

PlilC,
Let me know how you make out. I am looking to do the same thing. I was thinking of putting a small unit behind the seat. I was researching on how to power but thought an inverter would work when I'm out and dock side power when I'm not. What is your plan for the power?

George

Be careful with inverters. They are terribly inefficient at converting 12v DC to 120 v AC. During the conversion, lots of energy is lost, meaning your battery gets drawn down quickly.

Recommend you look at something that is powered directly by 12v DC. I have my eyes on an Engle 27 for a tackle station that I'm in the process of designing and building.

See the link in my first response above.

Engle makes portable refers for RV, boat, and safari guides. The Red Cross uses them all over the world to keep blood products cold. They are expensive but are truly the gold standard for 12v refers.

Dave

aka

Dave,
Thanks for the info on engle that is the way I ended up going. I am getting a Engle 35 for Christmas.
George,
I will use shore power at the dock, and I will run off batteries when on the water. I also carry a Honda EU2000 generator.

Phil

Hey Guys..

The engel crew was at the MIA boatshow and they had "Boat show discounts" that are honored for a while.

If you have a model in mind - I've got a price list at home. Just email me at wbpozo at yahoo .com and let me know which your interested in. They were discounting them heavily.

See ya!
william.

Back