Removing silicone

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOPFROG

Reaction score
How many times have you wanted to remove silicone caulk that has been "squished" behind teak (or whatever else) to make the proverbial waterproof seal! Rub and rub with your hands until blistered :evil: Never quite seem to get it done.

After fighting the entire framing around my cabin door (took all the wood off to refinish), I now have the answer.

Step 1 - use a razor (single edge - the same as you would scrape a window with after painting) and, being careful not to scratch the gelcoat, scrape as much off (like you're shaving 3 days of growth off your face) as reasonable. Maybe 1/16" to 1/32" left.

Step 2 - use paint thinner and a toothbrush (or anything within reach - paint brush, cat, whatever [okay all you cat lovers, I was kidding - no nastygrams!]) to saturate what remains.

Step 3 - Wait ten minutes, and with the same razorblade, scrape the remainder off....It will be softened and comes off quite easily. No more blisters :D

Goodness, would I ever love spellcheck on this - hate showing everyone what a poor typist I am and even worse at spelling! Oh well, go take some silicone off!

I'm a confirmed dog lover, but have two cats (brothers) who have convinced me that they are as (almost, and in a different way) lovable :D

Don't ask me how I came to adopt them.....let's just say a soft heart :wink:.

No offense taken...they DO seem to be handily around, though, don't they :lol:.

Mac

Jeffnick,

I believe Pelagic said: "doing boatwork"...and not "baitwork" :wink: .

You're going to give that poor neighbor's cat a complex :shock: :lol: :!:

Mac

Other tips on removing cured silicone:

NOTE - some companies make special formulas of solvent to remove silicone. I have successfully used the one made to remove 3M 5200 and that did work, so perhaps there is something to them for silicone goop. I have not tried them though ...

How do I remove cured silicone?
If removing cured silicone you can use TYTAN Silicone remover. Mechanically remove old silicone when possible since the thickness of the silicone will extend the time required for silicone remover. Always test a small area first to ensure compatibility.

Apply the silicone remover to the material to be removed. The thickness of remover layer should be 2-3 time thicker than layer of remaining silicone and should be at least 4 mm. Silicone will be digested in various time periods, thin layers in less than an hour, several hours or leave overnight for very thick areas.

Remove digested silicone with wooden or plastic spatula or other spatulas available that will not mechanically damage the surface can also be used. Wipe surface with clean, dry towels. Repeat procedure if necessary due to the thickness of the silicone.

Surfaces that are to be resealed should be cleaned with mineral spirits and dried before applying fresh sealant. Wash all tools with water or hydrocarbon solvent (mineral spirits) as soon as possible after use.

... leave my cat out of this ... ;)

The biggest problem I have is getting it out of that dang diamond non-skid that's all over my boat... :(

Latest posts

Back