Replacement horn

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhyser2120

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Parker 2120 the horns are in need of replacement. Any recommendations on what model horn to use. I've seen ones on Amazon for $50. That supposedly are very good. But also have seen the Ongaro brand for $150. Thanks a head of time for any input.

I have a 2003 Parker 2120 the horns are in need of replacement. Any recommendations on what model horn to use. I've seen ones on Amazon for $50. That supposedly are very good. But also have seen the Ongaro brand for $150. Thanks a head of time for any input.
I just switched to a Marinco mini air horn after who knows how many sets of electric horns. Ongaro, Marinco, off brand, I’ve tried them all. Never seem to last more than a few seasons or so. The internal components usually rust or rot out by then.

The only difference between the install for the air horn and the electric ones is you’re running an air hose up to the roof, as opposed to the wires. The air pump is about the size of a coffee mug and gets mounted somewhere in the cabin, I put mine on the side of the electronics cabinet. Pump gets 12v - and + from the switch just like the electric horn. Drill/seal a few holes and fill some old ones, and you’re in business. Only thing to rot out might be the horn diagram, which is easily replaced. No other exposed moving parts.

If you decide to stick with the electric one, make sure you mount it such that the horns face decidedly downward when the boat is at rest. That allows any water that gets into the horn to drain out abs prevents most of it from getting there in the first place. The PH boats tend to sit bow-high, so you’ll need to make sure the back of the horn is significantly elevated. I made an angled Starboard block to accomplish this. (In the pictures you can see the rust streaks from where the old dual trumpet bit the dust).
61065141-9D49-474A-98D4-4789CC2A66A9.jpeg7CED5559-4490-4A47-A93A-F13622C1EBE6.jpeg

I had Ongaro on my other boat. It was going strong after 10 years. However, regular service of the contacts was required. Another periodic maintenance item.

Parker, and many/most other boat-builders install horns where, and how they look good. On most of these boat, the horn is installed at an angle that allows water to get in, and then stay in the horn. The horn on our 2520 is installed this way, and when the boat is on the lift, and tilted back, (to accommodate draining water OUT of the cockpit) this allows rain water and wash-down water to get in, and stay in the horn. The workings/function of the horn requires ferrous metal, and that metal will rust out. Installing the horn where water cannot get in, (facing down) will extend the life of the horn. The horn on our last boat was installed on the side of the fly-bridge cantered down on about a 45 degree angle. That original 1986 horn is still in operation on that boat..... As a 'band-aid' fix on our Parker, my wife made two 'bras' out of white Sunbrella that I put over the ends of the horns. So far our 2013 horns are still working.... When these horns go bad I will install new ones, either on the side of the pilothouse, or on the forward base of the rooftop rocket launcher, Facing Down at a significant angle.
1636986349578.png

Last edited:
I had Ongaro on my other boat. It was going strong after 10 years. However, regular service of the contacts was required. Another periodic maintenance item.
[/QUOTEl] Great tip, knotflying. One of my Marincos quit this spring. Basic troubleshooting revealed power all the way to horn contacts. Marinco was nice enough to instruct me to clean the contacts with a piece of fine sandpaper. Bam, back in business. If / when it happens again, 6 or 8 screws and you're back in business.
They look like contacts on a set of points. If your horns aren't working, start there for free, and disassemble carefully so the wiring is not damaged. Put a rag under them to catch the screws and washers.

Last edited:
Great tip, knotflying. One of my Marincos quit this spring. Basic troubleshooting revealed power all the way to horn contacts. Marinco was nice enough to instruct me to clean the contacts with a piece of fine sandpaper. Bam, back in business. If / when it happens again, 6 or 8 screws and you're back in business.

They look like contacts on a set of points. If your horns aren't working, start there for free, and disassemble carefully so the wiring is not damaged. Put a rag under them to catch the screws and washers.[/QUOTE]

When I added the Crows nest to mine....I got rid of the trumpets....after having to replace them once. It went in the bottom of the box.

The horns I replace with are the Ongaro , which are stainless thruout...Unlike the AMF's that rust out.

Attachments

• 100_5692.JPG
    100_5692.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_5691.JPG
    100_5691.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_5745.JPG
    100_5745.JPG
    475.3 KB · Views: 33
Back