Sealant under livewell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you advise me as to obtaining "Blue Anchor Tech" caulking for a project like this. I'm planning to do this this fall. Thank you.

AnchorTech is a line of products made by Pettit. They have three varieties: Fast-Dry Adhesive Sealant, which comes in a red/maroon tube and is roughly equivalent to 3M 5200; UV Resistant Adhesive Sealant, which comes in a blue tube and is roughly equivalent to 4200; and Advanced Hybrid Sealant which comes in a gray tube and is a silicone blend, which should generally be avoided except for projects that specifically require a silicone based sealant like windows and hatches.

I tend to refer to their product line by tube color for ease of reference.

All are available either online or at West Marine stores.

If you can get them to do it, sure, go for it. I think that without evidence of a leak, you’ll have a hard time getting them to agree to pull the livewell just to check to confirm there isn’t a problem.

Were you noticing water leaking from under there? Is there anything, other than failed sealant, that would indicate to you that you have a problem with the plumbing? Because a leak under there isn’t necessarily going to cause the issue you had, although the sealant separation might make it more evident in that the water could escape.

Bottom line, if the only “evidence” of a water leak is that the sealant failed, I fail to see justification for pulling the livewell, which is pretty much what I think your dealer is going to tell you.
When I was taking up the old sealant water was weaping out of there.

I did however notice the failed sealant after i washed the boat so I had water on the deck……so maybe it was just residual water

Anyway I am happy with the work I did. It was my first time caulking.

Also this sealant is good stuff, it dried fast and is Uv resudtent

When I was taking up the old sealant water was weaping out of there.

I did however notice the failed sealant after i washed the boat so I had water on the deck……so maybe it was just residual water

Anyway I am happy with the work I did. It was my first time caulking.

Also this sealant is good stuff, it dried fast and is Uv resudtent

Were you running the livewell before you washed the boat?

Were you running the livewell before you washed the boat?
No i was not running it and the valve was closed…..

The other thing is I have this pie hatch which has the water hookup in, and I can put my hand in there and feel the floor it was wet but not a crazy amount of water. The floor was dry as well.

I would also think the water hose comes from the cavity that the water runs to the bilge right? So if water leaked in it would run down into the bilge?

Attachments

• 7532E917-20A8-4338-BA19-F979641E9B18.jpeg
    7532E917-20A8-4338-BA19-F979641E9B18.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
AnchorTech is a line of products made by Pettit. They have three varieties: Fast-Dry Adhesive Sealant, which comes in a red/maroon tube and is roughly equivalent to 3M 5200; UV Resistant Adhesive Sealant, which comes in a blue tube and is roughly equivalent to 4200; and Advanced Hybrid Sealant which comes in a gray tube and is a silicone blend, which should generally be avoided except for projects that specifically require a silicone based sealant like windows and hatches.

I tend to refer to their product line by tube color for ease of reference.

All are available either online or at West Marine stores.
Thank you !!

No i was not running it and the valve was closed…..

The other thing is I have this pie hatch which has the water hookup in, and I can put my hand in there and feel the floor it was wet but not a crazy amount of water. The floor was dry as well.

I would also think the water hose comes from the cavity that the water runs to the bilge right? So if water leaked in it would run down into the bilge?

Now that it’s resealed, check in the hatch to see if you have a water issue after running it. My bet is it’s fine.

The problem with the water intrusion is that in many cases the fuel tank is under there as well, and it’s foamed in. So if the water gets below the deck, it’ll get trapped in the foam, which can rot out stringer and corrode the tank. It’s not good news.

Now that it’s resealed, check in the hatch to see if you have a water issue after running it. My bet is it’s fine.

The problem with the water intrusion is that in many cases the fuel tank is under there as well, and it’s foamed in. So if the water gets below the deck, it’ll get trapped in the foam, which can rot out stringer and corrode the tank. It’s not good news.
If you ever come to Ct I owe you some beers.

Thank you…..

Btw even with all the little problems I had I love my 21se

Attachments

• CCECD445-DDE2-4B08-80C2-362FBD51D932.jpeg
    CCECD445-DDE2-4B08-80C2-362FBD51D932.jpeg
    729.5 KB · Views: 0
  • B20E0C9D-4955-4D12-B136-3453A03D39A4.jpeg
    B20E0C9D-4955-4D12-B136-3453A03D39A4.jpeg
    822.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7F3451AD-4AE7-450E-8923-3FA9D51283DE.jpeg
    7F3451AD-4AE7-450E-8923-3FA9D51283DE.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9DC73688-88FE-4430-AB5B-CF575FD7BCEA.jpeg
    9DC73688-88FE-4430-AB5B-CF575FD7BCEA.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 7DD2F360-C713-4484-82E8-FDBE6A494535.jpeg
    7DD2F360-C713-4484-82E8-FDBE6A494535.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 0
I do agree though with the other post the dealer in the off season needs to pull the well in the off season and make sure there are not water issues. From leaky areas. For now this should be ok to end of the season.

What makes me concerned is I am not sure why the sealant would just come out like that unless a leak inside the tank was causing it. I just don’t want to leak water into the core of the boat.

Am I being unreasonable for asking the dealer to address this at the end of the season?
Try removing the "pie plate" (pretty sure the SE has one, the DV does) and filling your livewell with water. If the livewell is leaking you should see signs of water between the actual livewell and the shroud (the item you re-sealed around).

Open pie plate when boat is storage and use a fan for ventilation

Good idea you mean when I store the boat for winter to dry out area use a fan….

I also put in the livewell damp rid in a bucket to remove water before I store it.

Back