second station in cockpit,2120 Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLA69

Reaction score
Recently got a quote and was surprised how reasonable the price was,hope there are no surprises after the fact.I'm mounting or at least hope to mount the steering wheel and controls on the gunnel just outside the pilot house.I fish around lots of pilons and other structure and don't think darting in and out of the cabin would work well.Sometimes you gotta move quickly or it's banging on concrete so I think the second station is a must.I was told it would cost about three grand but the estimate I got was well under that I just hope it was a correct estimate .For you guys who have done this,is there anything I should be aware of before putting my deposit down on this job?

That sounds light........ A new helm is $450, Hoses $150, Fittings $50, Steering Wheel $100. So That's $650 worth of parts there.

Are you install all this in the "Normal" box we see on the deck?

Was the quote for a free standing rear station, or just putting steering and motor controls directly on the washboard?
At least one local builder does it that way (on the washboard), but understand that there are disadvantages to that method.

On a free standing pedestal, you also have the ability to mount a kill switch tether, as well as start and stop buttons.
I also keep a couple of dock lines inside for quick access at the fuel dock or restaurant.

The fiberglass pedestal will add about $300 or so to the cost, but having used both methods, I think going free standing is worth the additional cost.

Attachments

• rear station.jpg
    rear station.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,092
Megabyte":nksvjfga said:
Was the quote for a free standing rear station, or just putting steering and motor controls directly on the washboard?
At least one local builder does it that way (on the washboard), but understand that there are disadvantages to that method.

On a free standing pedestal, you also have the ability to mount a kill switch tether, as well as start and stop buttons.
I also keep a couple of dock lines inside for quick access at the fuel dock or restaurant.

The fiberglass pedestal will add about $300 or so to the cost, but having used both methods, I think going free standing is worth the additional cost.

The quote was for gunnel mounted steering and controls.That was my choice as I thought it would save some room in the cockpit.What do you think are the problems with doing it this way?

RLA69":2ug1w9mb said:
The quote was for gunnel mounted steering and controls.That was my choice as I thought it would save some room in the cockpit.What do you think are the problems with doing it this way?

Two things.
No way to mount a kill switch and start/stop buttons... and putting the steering on the washboard makes the wheel susceptible to damage at the dock.

But... there are builders who do it that way and their owners seem to be OK with that.
Ask forum member B-Faithful how he likes that arrangement on his Judge, and if he would change it if he could.

Megabyte":1vktaqoj said:
RLA69":1vktaqoj said:

Two things.
No way to mount a kill switch and start/stop buttons... and putting the steering on the washboard makes the wheel susceptible to damage at the dock.

But... there are builders who do it that way and their owners seem to be OK with that.
Ask forum member B-Faithful how he likes that arrangement on his Judge, and if he would change it if he could.

The Judge that B faithful runs is the one that gave me the gunnel mount idea.I hope to get his views on that set up.I'll have to take my time and think this thru before pulling the trigger.I may just get the crows nest and hold off awhile on the second station,don't want to make a mistake by rushing.

I love mine being on the washboard. I can't imagine any disadvantage other then the fact that I can't have a rod holder there. Haha.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

here is a photo saved on another site that shows the starboard side of my boat. The wheel is smaller than the forward wheel so it does not extend past the rub rail. I find it saves a lot of space in the boat. My beam is narrower than Megabytes at 8'10" so the space savings is good for my uses. I dont use the station to dock. I use it trolling to adjust the boat while fighting fish, and live lining and jigging around structure. Great tool but I dock from the helm usually.

9059-albums2575-picture67574.jpg

9059-albums2575-picture36248.jpg

B-Faithful":1kd07f6k said:
here is a photo saved on another site that shows the starboard side of my boat. The wheel is smaller than the forward wheel so it does not extend past the rub rail. I find it saves a lot of space in the boat. My beam is narrower than Megabytes at 8'10" so the space savings is good for my uses. I dont use the station to dock. I use it trolling to adjust the boat while fighting fish, and live lining and jigging around structure. Great tool but I dock from the helm usually.

9059-albums2575-picture67574.jpg

9059-albums2575-picture36248.jpg

I have a much smaller cockpit and i'll be doing mine like this one.I appreciate all the help I get on this site,thanks guys.

RLA69":3fj7hg48 said:
I have a much smaller cockpit and i'll be doing mine like this one.I appreciate all the help I get on this site,thanks guys.
That'll be a great addition! I just urge you NOT to add ken to the tower ...

I was thinking about your second station addition. Given that I would want to save space, is there a chance you can mount it on the back of the wheelhouse wall?

B-Faithful":2lsgn7il said:
I was thinking about your second station addition. Given that I would want to save space, is there a chance you can mount it on the back of the wheelhouse wall?

I think the washboard mount would make it easier to see around the boat.

I have been thinking about adding a second station to my 2120.

Trolling and fishing our Inlet can be tricky at times with a Pilot House.

RLA69, do you have any updates to this potential project??

Would be nice to know.

Thanks, Kevin

Wow I inquired about having a second station added to my 2007 2120 SC i was told by one dealer that it could not be done because I have the single throttle control on the side of the boat and not the binnacle style. I was also informed by another dealer that to have a bulkhead mounted second station it would cost me close to 10 grand. I regret not getting it when I bought the boat new. Please keep me posted on your progress, and best of luck to you.

I have all the info on doing a second steer station including the project listed under ark 2530 renovations also I listed the parts just recently on another thread. Very easy to do

Sara F":1ne0fa34 said:
Wow I inquired about having a second station added to my 2007 2120 SC i was told by one dealer that it could not be done because I have the single throttle control on the side of the boat and not the binnacle style. I was also informed by another dealer that to have a bulkhead mounted second station it would cost me close to 10 grand. I regret not getting it when I bought the boat new. Please keep me posted on your progress, and best of luck to you.

That 'dealer' told you wrong.
If you have the single lever binnacle control, you replace it with a set of Morse controls.
In a cable operated system, the helm control is the master, and the second station becomes the slave.

It becomes even easier if your motor has fly-by-wire controls.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 652
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 652
Kevin, understand but what I was told I could not add a binnacle control because there isn't anywhere to mount it since the boat was designed with a single side mount. I am hoping someone with a 2120 uploads some pictures of their installation. Thanks for responding. I am going to be attending the NY and Baltimore boats shows may be I will inquire again.

Ah... I understand now.
Your binnacle is mounted to the sidewall, right?

Is there room to fabricate an 'L' mount that would attach to the sidewall and allow you to use a set of Morse controls?

I would probably have to build some type of box To mount the control. I will have to give it some thought. May not be worth it who knows

Sara F":3d8jlh0l said:
I would probably have to build some type of box To mount the control. I will have to give it some thought. May not be worth it who knows

It can be done even with the wall mount. You still have two cables coming out. This seastar ds unit allows you to keep a single lever binnacle mount. I believe it will work.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100895.823676.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100895.823676.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 641
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100914.188091.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100914.188091.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 641
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100935.038903.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100935.038903.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 645
Back