Shift Cable length for 2520 notched transome?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadsdayoff2

Reaction score
Manokin River, Chesapeake Bay /Roxborough, PA.
Hi, I need to replace my original shift cables on my 2000 2520 w/notched transome. Can anyone tell me the correct length to order and maybe some ideas on best place to get them? The boat is wrapped up for the season so I can't pull the old ones to measure them, but I would like to get them over the winter to do first thing in the spring. Thanks, Ken

Greetings:

I just had the cables replaced on my 1999 2520 with Yammie 150s on a notched transom last week. The throttles took 24 ft cables (don't know what brand), and the shift cables are 26 ft, brand name "Extreme Shifter". I was charged about $68 each for the shift cable units. Total labor came to a bit less than $200.

Regards,

Dan

Yes to what kevin said teleflex cables i put them on my 2320 last year and couldnt be happier so far....extremely smooth

dadsdayoff2":2r8yxcn1 said:
Thanks Guys! Well I know I'm in the 24-26' range? I would think they should be both the same size??? Maybe a call to Parker? Any Parker contact info thanks in advance :)

Look at your current cables, they should have a number on them. I did this for my kicker, was an easy job to do on my own.

If you have a Yamaha the part number on the teleflex should be CCX633** the last two digits will be the length that you need, on my 2320 with bracket i needed 24 feet. Also don't throw away the black plastic adapters on the end of the cables (motor end) you will need those the new cables don't come with those adapters.

Another quick piece of advice take a picture or two on your control before taking the cables apart on that end, i didn't do that and there was a lot of trial and error when putting the cables back together on that end. just my .02

Hi Guys, after surfing the net, I found the 24' Teleflex extreme cables on ebay from Marine Parts Source for $94 w/shipping for 2. Some places were asking as much as $65 ea before shipping. Just thought I would share this info in case its on anyone elses spring to do list. Only 2 months to Spring Stripers on the Chesapeake :)

Megabyte":b5lkuc94 said:
Best cables by far are Teleflex Morse Xtreme cables.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/ ... me-cables/

what should I expect from "Best Cable" ?? my (2005) 2520 and F225 is my only experience with engine control......the biggest complaint I have always had is making small adjustments in engine speed (trolling)......same is true for docking etc.... I always find myself banging the engine speed control and every time I'm either overshooting my mark or banging some more...

if $100 worth of new cable would fix this problem, I'd be a happy guy.......

should mention I have a second station as well!!

suggestions please.....thanks

evetsmd":acoss95t said:
Megabyte":acoss95t said:

what should I expect from "Best Cable" ?? my (2005) 2520 and F225 is my only experience with engine control......the biggest complaint I have always had is making small adjustments in engine speed (trolling)......same is true for docking etc.... I always find myself banging the engine speed control and every time I'm either overshooting my mark or banging some more...

To begin with, the Teleflex Xtreme cables are the smoothest ones out there.
No 'stickage', and they don't bind when the cable makes a bend.

If your controls are 'sticky', you would benefit from these cables.
Once you do make the switch, you might need to adjust the friction tensioner(s) on your binnacle controls to keep the engine speed set where you place it.

Make sense?

Megabyte":tfkc6c3q said:
evetsmd":tfkc6c3q said:
Megabyte":tfkc6c3q said:

To begin with, the Teleflex Xtreme cables are the smoothest ones out there.
No 'stickage', and they don't bind when the cable makes a bend.

If your controls are 'sticky', you would benefit from these cables.
Once you do make the switch, you might need to adjust the friction tensioner(s) on your binnacle controls to keep the engine speed set where you place it.

Make sense?

stopped by the yard today......service tech disconnected (at the engine) the cable from the engine throttle and both binnacle stations operated very very smoothly and stayed were set......operation at both stations was easily done single finger......at the engine, the throttle control also moved smoothly but took some force to open and close......it seems (my look) that this engine connection point is linked to and controlling all 6 cyl. -- connect the two together and findings are not specific as to why for example when trolling, changing engine speed by say a hundred or so rpm means banging at the binnacle (which generally gets me more rpm than I need) vs a nice smooth throttle advice for increased rpm......
next step is to take another look once the boat is in the water....

any ideas or suggestions as to what may be causing or can fix this problem are appreciated.....

Thanks

changing engine speed by say a hundred or so rpm means banging at the binnacle

Please explain "Banging".

Are you saying your using the palm of your hand and trying to Bump / nudge the throttle?

If so....Just change the Cables to Teleflex X-Treames and that will go away.

Especially if you have twin stations.

Do you have Yamaha Controls or Morse Controls? What cables / Color are on it now?

Latest posts

Back