Side Imaging Sonar WOW!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
Saw the Humminbird 797c2 SI. The scanned images are impressive. I want one!! :)

I like the idea of using it to pinpoint the elusive wrecks. On occasion I have found the shipwreck to be no where near the advertised GPS coordinates.

JC":2uj20iuv said:
I like the idea of using it to pinpoint the elusive wrecks. On occasion I have found the shipwreck to be no where near the advertised GPS coordinates.
The only accurate number you will find are the ones in the NJ Reef Book.the other numbers on charts and such will be as much as a tenth or more off.It takes some searching to really locate them.
Here's something to try if you want to experiment.Try and find "The Master Hanglog".I got mine froma marine supplier in Cape May.This book has tons of numbers compiled from draggers/commercial fisherman.I've added a few nice pieces to my collection.

What I try to do if I want to try an find a wreck is this.I pick out numbers to the wreck in the area that I will be fishing for that day.Hopefully I am looking for a wreck that is actually there.Sometimes #'s on charts are for really old wrecks which might be sanded over,or not much structure left.During the slack bite I will go searching for the wreck this way.I will go to the numbers and bring my GPS down to 80' range.I will then begin a slow circle around those numbers increasing the circle as I search.
I get a great feeling when I see that wreck pop up on my fishfinder.I've found a couple this year that I had looked for 3-5 x's.
I can't wait till the spring to try a couple of them for Tog. :D

The Bargan Cave at Cabelas had a great deal on these and now I own one.
The 797c’s simulator is quite impressive and easy to use.
Currently my disappointment is with a function of the Navionics map that I purchased as an option. At high Zoom levels, there is a grid of bird Icons that appear on the screen. After questioning the company of their purpose Navionics responded, "The bird icon represents either a reserve area or some type of ecological area". The Icons are terribly annoying and cannot be turned off.
Once the unit is installed on the boat and is taken for its maiden voyage, I'll post more information. :D :D

my only problem with the unit is that its a humminbird, ive seen too many of their units fail :( i couldnt bring myself to install it. Now, if Furuno worked similar technology into their new Navnet 3d, that would be INCREDIBLE. true 3d, above the suface and below. same with the Lowrance 3d sounders.

pelagic2530":p1kr2ji5 said:
my only problem with the unit is that its a humminbird, ive seen too many of their units fail :( i couldnt bring myself to install it.

After years of owning Garmin electronics, and with my experience of Garmin's near flawless reputation for customer service, purchasing the Humminbird was a debated decision. However in the past I have owned a depth finder by Humminbird with no issues. If the 797c performs as well as the demo, I will be extremely pleased. So far the reviews are nothing less than positive.

JC,,

Go for it. Don't be put off by the name. I installed a Humminbird 3D unit last year and love it! It worked flawlessly, and it delivered -exactly- the images they said it would! It took a pounding all season and never skipped a beat.

Here's a link to my project Humminbird 946C 3-D Combo

I mounted my transducer inside the bilge. You should really check out the SI transducer and mounting details,,, it needs lots of "view angle" and a transom mount is questionable, because you'll hit the OB on one side.

Good Luck,,

John

cbigma":1xqu0ncc said:
JC,,

Go for it. Don't be put off by the name. Here's a link to my project Humminbird 946C 3-D Combo

John..nice job. I'm going to install my 797c2 when the weather cooperates. I'll post photos as soon as they become available.

pelagic2530":2nwnqbvl said:
my only problem with the unit is that its a humminbird, ive seen too many of their units fail :( i couldnt bring myself to install it. Now, if Furuno worked similar technology into their new Navnet 3d, that would be INCREDIBLE. true 3d, above the suface and below. same with the Lowrance 3d sounders.

Here is Furuno's side scan sonar for small boats.
Not cheap !!!
http://www.psicompany.com/furuno-ch270-sonar/

I have a stupid question. Is the image the actual reading of the bottom contour or is it a "rendition" or "drwaing" of the bottom from charts?

Side Imaging Sonar is an actual view of the bottom. The detail is amazing almost picture like.

Capt. Ronnie, Furuno does not make one for our size boat. The smallest boat I've seen with the Furuno unit is a 35 Cabo. It uses a large telescoping transducer that operates like an upside down Periscope. Check out the install supplement on the site you posted. Very serious install.

TopShot25":1a0aptp5 said:
Capt. Ronnie, Furuno does not make one for our size boat. The smallest boat I've seen with the Furuno unit is a 35 Cabo. It uses a large telescoping transducer that operates like an upside down Periscope. Check out the install supplement on the site you posted. Very serious install.

I'm very familiar with the unit and the install.
My buddy has been looking into having it installed on his 2900 Hydrasport cc we use to fish tournaments.
You need 2 ft height below deck for the telescoping transducer.

We have one on the 63 Bertram I work on. Very cool. I have 2 really cool stories on using it.

Once when we were way out in the deep, we were trolling alongside a long liner who was pulling his gear. We knew whether he had a fish on the line before he pulled it, as we were able to side scan over and mark his fish.

Another time we were working a really long stretch of weed line. We could troll far enough out the side to not be constantly weeded up, but we were able to scan under the weedline to eventually find a large pod of dolphin hanging out under it. Then it was just a case of pulling in the spread and backing up the boat.

Its a really cool unit, but its also a pretty serious device and a pretty serious hole in the bottom of the boat. You cannot side scan above a certain speed, as you need to retract the periscope.

Back