Sneezing cured on my 96 Evinrude 200 a moment in history

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeHi

Reaction score
96 200 Ocean Pro was sneezing ,literally, through number 6 carb. Spark good, compression good, decarbed, rebuilt carb, soaked n cleaned rest, checked adjusted float, checked adjusted needle, fuel pump vro checked pressure and still sneezing. OK must be the seals and gaskets, maybe the reed box, nope. While inspecting the reeds noticed reed plates were connected to the reed box but where you can't see the reed box is held on by two hex and a tiny gasket to port you cannot see unless looking at intake from inside. Friggin gasket was clearly installed wrong when rebuilt and leaving a internal gap allowing compression to leak past reed box through intake port :lol: into carb. The infernal gas wasting, power robbing sneeze is solved. Good Riddance. If it had been a leak that sucked air instead of carberated oil-fuel mix back there, we'll you know the rest. Dang sneeze doused my cig out so it was on. :lol:

Congratulations...I've never seen a V4 OMC product
from '70's thru '80's
that didn't "sneeze" every time started.

Sneezing is a lean condition and fully preventable with a little care and maintenance.

Also, once you touch ONE carb, you really should go back and re-check/adjust ALL carbs in sequence - at low and high speeds - for best performance. I have posted the sequence before, use the search feature.

There is no touching one carb when it comes to getting to reed box, lower two carbs are one piece intake reed box assembly. Adjusted at load on water all carbs with rebuilt and cleaned carbs. Thought the same old cliches. It was as if a reed was broken but they looked good. Only looking at it from inside out the inner gasket can be seen. Rebuilt motor should not sneeze, and I was told everything from old ethanol gas to omc's just sneeze sometimes. I never use ethanol, paranoid enough to check behind station with test. Fog motor and drain carbs when offseason. Sometimes old rings can puff but motor was rebuilt and rings new, I hope, installed. Maybe the rings were installed better than the gaskets!!

Glad you got yours to stop "sneezing" as
we called it the Evinrude Pfart. :lol:

Every V-4 did it and this was way before ethanol fuel,
hot or cold start, didn't matter.

I remember the first time I heard a V-4 Yamaha fire up, it just cranked and ran, no drama.

Back