Spring 2013 Project time!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gw204":utcr14iz said:
What are you going to do about the mismatch in waterline between the motor and bracket? :)

Nothing.
Maybe now the foot will actually be out of the water when the motor is raised while in her slip. :)

Can't believe that I never made that connection before. :roll:

Dale... Here is a photo of the 2" tape run from stem to stern.
When I 'doubled' it up forward, it ended up being less than 4" because there was some overlap. 3.75" maybe?
When you do yours, you might want to order two rolls. One 2" and another at 3" or 3.25".
You might like that better.
As you can see in this photo, the two areas did not match.

file.php

B-Faithful":1bi1zbzf said:
Kev, dare I say it... I am not a fan. Color looks too much like painters tape too me or too bright for an offwhite hull. I would recommend Black or dark green or even red if you want to go bright.

Greg... If I ever put the logos back on, black or red would be a good option.
Kelly green is another option that I like without the logo.
I do just happen to have a couple of pair of the 'smaller' Parker logos as seen on the older models (like Dales).
We'll see how this tape holds up this season and think about that next spring.
At $50 a roll (for 150'), it's not a bank breaker.

One of my neighbors (a 'boat girl') saw my photo yesterday and commented that she thought it looked classy. :D
I'm good with that!

Megabyte":3oj9riax said:
As you can see in this photo, the two areas did not match.

Precisely the issue that I had, and no matter the angle that I looked at it, it just didn't *seem* right.
Maybe in the water it's a completely different thing...

But as you said, it's only tape. Easy to un-do.

350bake":gjw22z47 said:
When you mention lift seal - is that the trim/tilt?

Yes. tilt/trim seal(s).
I was doing my 'pre-splash' inspection and noticed the cylinder was wet with hydraulic fluid.
Hopefully the repair will be quick and painless.

Since I cannot splash due to waiting on the lift-ram seals to be replaced, I decided to start inside the cabin.
I was planning on doing this portion once I got the boat back in my slip, but since I'm at a standstill, I decided to press on.

Vacuumed the entire cabin and wiped everything down.
LOTS of pollen and tree debris from sitting on the BOE lot. :shock:

Waxed all of the fiberglass at the helm, waxed the interior including all of the windows, and oiled the teak. Waxed the outboard with Colonite...
Washed all of my slip lines in the washer so they are nice and soft again, and prepped new stern lines (the old ones were chafed from rubbing on the dock).
Safety equipment and pyrotechnics inspected for current dates. Personal-EPIRB placed in the ditch bag...

Finally, I took a tip from Warthog5 and mounted my Garmin handheld on the helm as a backup.
Mounted mine in a little different spot, but I think it will be a good addition to my instrumentation this season.

Attachments

• 28Apr13 001.jpg
    28Apr13 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 28Apr 002.jpg
    28Apr 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Megabyte":2vmkw4t1 said:
I do just happen to have a couple of pair of the 'smaller' Parker logos as seen on the older models (like Dales).

Hey Kevin, if you're ever interested in letting go of a pair of the smaller logos, I would be interested. The new ones look huge on the 17' hulls. If not, can you give me the approx dimensions of them?

The motor guy called me yesterday and said his mechanic would be at the boat today. :)

I spent 5 hours today waxing the hull with Colonite 925, oiled the teak again, waxed the outboard again, polished the windows again, polished the drip rails on the top and on the washboards again... while waiting on the mechanic. :x

Don't have much more 'busy work' to do while waiting on the tilt/trim to get fixed, so still I wait. :(

Kev,

I have the same motor (though Yr 1999). Dealt with that last year. Hope it's the trim seals and not the main tilt.
If it's never been off before (main tilt seal cap) it'll get destroyed trying to get it off. Yamaha does not sell just the cap for the main tilt, you will have to spring for the entire assembly which is north of $350 just for the parts. I confirmed this with Andy at SIM.

TimC2520":9nb25mpd said:
Kev,

I have the same motor (though Yr 1999). Dealt with that last year. Hope it's the trim seals and not the main tilt.
If it's never been off before (main tilt seal cap) it'll get destroyed trying to get it off. Yamaha does not sell just the cap for the main tilt, you will have to spring for the entire assembly which is north of $350 just for the parts. I confirmed this with Andy at SIM.

And I discovered today that IF the whole assembly needs to be replaced, it's $3,300. :shock:
BOE just had an OceanMaster in for service with trips that required the center motor to have their assembly replaced.
Holy moley...

Brent":2xol9cyl said:
I still think you missed a spot on the port side, easy to find, it is the size of an electron 8)

I don't see it, but I'll keep looking. :)

Attachments

• 03May 001.jpg
    03May 001.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 251
Finally!

The tilt/trim has been repaired ($702.00) and the boat was ready to launch today.
Lucky for me the unit could be rebuilt, so it was way cheaper than a new replacement unit.

BOE loaded the boat onto their hydraulic trailer and we made a stop at the local Citgo and stuffed the fuel tank with fuel.
The... on to the ramp at Matapeake where we launched.

I did a slow exit from the harbor checking all systems, then took her out into the Bay.
Bay conditions were <1 ft with light winds, perfect conditions to sea trial and see if raising the motor was a good thing.

It was. :D

Jumped her on plane and after fiddling with the trim and the tabs a bit, I settled in at 4200 rpm making 25.5 kts.
Took a photo of my wake and it is noticeably better than before. I'm very pleased with the results. :)

Got into more protected waters and opened her up.
5200 rpm making 36.5 kts... Oh yea.
Not bad for a 1997 oil burner. :wink:

Got her into the slip with her new lines, gave her a bath, and walked home.
It is a good day!!!

Photos:

Attachments

• 17 May 001.jpg
    17 May 001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
  • 17 May 002.jpg
    17 May 002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 219
  • 17 May 003.jpg
    17 May 003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 219
  • 17 May 004.jpg
    17 May 004.jpg
  • 17 May 005.jpg
    17 May 005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
Photos:

Attachments

• 17 May 006.jpg
    17 May 006.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 219
  • 17 May 006a.jpg
    17 May 006a.jpg
  • 17 May 006b.jpg
    17 May 006b.jpg
  • 17 May 007.jpg
    17 May 007.jpg
  • 17 May 008.jpg
    17 May 008.jpg
Megabyte":2rusex4o said:
Got into more protected waters and opened her up.
5200 rpm making 36.5 kts... Oh yea.
Not bad for a 1997 oil burner. :wink:

Must be the new racing stripe!

-- Tom

Kevin curious as to why you didnt paint your bottom this year? Just wondering cause I choose to only touch up mine this year as well.

Lookin good!

miky2884":2ob0xjtv said:
Kevin curious as to why you didnt paint your bottom this year? Just wondering cause I choose to only touch up mine this year as well.

Several years ago I was having issues getting my bottom paint to stick. It was coming off in sheets.
To correct that, the entire bottom was stripped, epoxy coated, and re-painted under the direction of the paint manufacturer.
When I did that, the first coat of bottom paint was done in 'Grady blue'. The second coat in black.

That allows me to see if it is time to re-paint or not. If you see blue, it's time.
Only a bit of touch-up was needed this year. :)

Yea im with you, Bryan and I discussed that this year. The old theme was to paint the entire bottom every year now the more I read articles thats exactly what you aren't suppose to do, I fit a few spots this year and did the waterline and that was it, im hoping the paint wears off nicely and I will paint the entire bottom next year. We shall see.

Latest posts

Back