Spring prep is in full swing!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I am frantically working on my spring prep before the boat is splashed the first week in April, and I was wondering how many others in my area were preparing for the opening of trophy rockfish season. :)

The hull is about half done, and then I need to remove the cover and do the topsides.
Now if the weather would only cooperate... :roll:

DSCN0017.JPG

Looks good...

I'm hoping to be in the water next week. Waiting on a fuel filter a 2 sparkplugs.. I'm excited..

I am jelous. I will be lucky to get my cover off by the first weekend of May let alone splash. I am heading down to a friend's house over the week end in Onancock, VA to help him install a boat lift. Since we need to use his boat for part of the install I am sure we will need to take a spin around the bay. That should be a nice tease.

Onancock is a nice area. :)

Weekend weather looks good, so take that tour of the Bay on Sunday if you have a choice.
Sunday looks to be the warmer of the two days right now. 8)

Looks good Kev!!!! How many Miller Lites to get it that shiney?

My boat is ready to go for the spring season.... It just isnt clean and shiney as she is sitting under a tree that is starting bud :shock: ... I will work on that after the trophy fish leave and the weather is warmer. Hopefully the little buds will stop dropping after every little rain and windstorm too.

Mine is wash, waxed and had some motor maintenance done, just have to touch up some bottom paint and mine will be in next weekend. Might even tow it to the marina Sunday.

If all goes well the boat lift goes in on Saturday and Sunday is a free day. I will post some pics of the lift install and the tour of that area of the bay. It will be my first for both.

I can't wait for the word that the herring are in Laurel? then I know the striper will be in the inlet and that means it time to go fishing. I am hopping to have her in in the next 2 or 3 weeks? I can't wait I only have 12HR. on her. I know I am going to have fun this year????

I'm way ahead of the curve up here. Bottom is sanded, barrier coated and painted. New lights are on, and the cover is way off.

I'm moving on to detailing. I want the boat perdy for buyers. I showed it a few times this winter under the cover and it wasn't at it's best, so I've been rushing the prep to be able to show it.

I have a new boat under contract, going to sea trial this weekend, so I want to move this one.

I've had some questions asking what tools and materials I used to wax my boat, and figured I'd share it here in case anyone else is interested.

I used a Makita 9227c to do the difficult work in getting the gelcoat to shine. I started out years ago with a Craftsman random orbital, but it really didn't have the 'guts' needed to do the job in a reasonable amount of time. Back when I was waxing my 17 Dusky, the random orbital was fine, but it would take me forever to do a 25 Parker with an orbital.

The products that you use are almost as important to a good finish as the tool you use. In my case, the first thing that I use is a finish restorer to remove the old wax and to get the gelcoat as smooth and as clean as I can possibly get it.

The finish restorer I use is Woodys fiberglass restorer, and it is a medium to mild abrasive that cleans all of the haze and other contaminents from the gelcoat in order to give you a good base to begin bringing back the finish to better-than-new.

The next product in my process is 3M marine cleaner and wax. The 3M product has an even milder abrasive than the Woodys, but contains some wax to begin filling the pores of the gelcoat. After the 3M, I use Starbrite cleaner wax with Teflon. For my final 2 coats, I use Rejex.

My routine is a 5 step process that you really don't need to duplicate. Just make certain that before you begin applying your favorite wax that the finish is as flawless as you can get it. The best wax product(s) in the world will not hide a bad prep job.

As far as application... Application of each of my selected products goes on with a clean damp towel (or wax applicator) by hand, and is removed while still damp using the Makita and a wool pad. There is no need to use the Makita to apply the product(s), only to remove and polish.

As your wool pads get 'filled' with material, use a screwdriver to scrape and fluff the spinning pad (be careful!) and change the pads out for clean ones often to avoid just moving contaminents around. When I'm done for the day, the wool pads get tossed in the washing machine for cleaning, and then are allowed to air dry.

Finish polishing the hull surface with a clean dry towel (I use old, well-washed undershirts). You can consider the job done when the finish meets your expectations. ;)

Remember... the finish is cleaned and polished with the material(s). The Makita is just the tool that does the 'heavy lifting'. Use it as you would any tool and let the machine and the wool bonnet do the work. Use a speed of between 3 and 4, keep the bonnet moving, exercise reasonable care, and you can get similar results to what you see in my photo. :D

Hope this helps.

DSCN0012.JPG

My hull came up with similar results using a 3M Oxidation remover which is pretty abrasive (my hull was hurting bad) then I used a 3M polish which is much less abrasive and followed up with a coat of 3M wax. Sorry I don't have the information in regards to the 3M product numbers. All was applied by hand and removed using an old Porter Cable buffing wheel. My comment is in regards to the gel coats on these older model Parkers. My boat looked bad and in two days I was able to achieve a finish equal to what I can see on Cpt. Kevin's fine vessel. Amazing how well she came up. I was very pleased.

Back