steering cylinder reseal help???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got a 1999 2520MV with a single Yammi 200 HP with SeaStar hydraulic steering HC 5345 cylinder unit. Have a slight weep from port side of cylinder, so I ordered HS5157 kit to reseal. Instructions seemed pretty simple, but then I got into it. Loosened the gland seal, removed the piston rod nut and support brack nut. Now, I need to remove the support bracket. This is the piece that is between the rod and the engine. :?: This thing won't budge! As I already said, the nut is removed. What is the trick to get this bracket off??
Without this, I cannot fully remove the gland seal to replace.
Please advise ASAP as I need to take care of tomorrow to continue season.

Also, I have a 1.7 helm and would like to remove and clean the check valves. If anyone has an idea how to do this, I'd appreciate some tips!!!

You need to put some PB Blaster on that bolt that goes through it. I believe the bracket is also threaded. You may want to post a pic or two so everyone will know exactly what you are talking about.

The bracket needs to be heated(propane bottle/type used by plumber) so it will expand then use a suitable drift and a hammer to jar it loose. Before heating, screw the glande nut back in place and fully extend the shaft to keep the heat away from fluid and also when you tap on it you don't drive the shaft/piston out of cylinder.

Those brackets can be a bear (#12 in the diagram below).... Usually just held on by surface corrosion that develops over time. Hopefully you won't need to heat it. I've had luck giving it a few good whacks with a rubber malet or dead-blow hammer. Best to leave the nut barely on so that the bracket doesn't go flying when it breaks free.

Once removed clean the mating surface and apply a little grease before reassembly. Good luck! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Guys!!! With a little heat and a persuasive mallet, I was able to get the support brackets off and reseal the cylinder.
Will sea trial tomorrow morning to check results.
I am trying to solve a "slipping" problem and someone suggested that it may be the check valves in the helm itself.
It is a 1.7 cu in Seastar hydraulic helm. Is it possible to remove and clean these check valves?

Back