Steering problem or design fault?????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigboyz

Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up a 2530 with twin 200 , at high RPGs and doing 38-40 plus mph the boat all of the sudden steers itself to stArboard I I back down on throttles and then the boat lists to port, have to stop boat complete to get it straight again, I put a new helm in, bleed the lines and rebuilt the steering piston by motors, the motors do move a bit when throttling up hard but don't know if this is normal, any ideas would help thanks

Just a thought but one motor might be missing at that speed. Fuel restriction or air in line at high demand may be making one act up right before it hits the other. If you got a bracket and your not use to it sometimes can get a little scary at a certian sweet spot especially decelerating. Yes air bubbles can cause intermittent hydraulic failures but that should happen at any rpm. Maybe it isnt noticable until the torque of the props puts pressure on the piston. There is a lot of force at work here. What type of throttle rigging do you have? That can get wacky syncing. What year- type of 200s you running. Oldschool thought could be high speed jets causing one to lag slightly but thats just grasping straws. Maybe air trapped in hydraulics and at high speeds causing one to slightly veer. Bleed it, air finds a way to hide. Recreate problem safely and see if something is loose or just dont look right. Of course a different set of eyes on the steering work already performed could spot something you missed. Good luck troubleshooting!

The symptoms you describe could be trim tabs. Turning to starboard and listing to port sounds like the starboard tab is going down. I had a very similar problem with my auto-trim control. An easy way to rule out the tabs is put them full up and disconnect power to them. Run the boat and see if you still have the problem. Then look at steering issues, and zinc tabs on the motors. Also watch the individual tachs to see if one motor is missing at speed. good luck.

Where you located?

I have the same exact setup and I find the faster I go the better and more stable the boat feels. Almost don't need the tabs at 35+ knots.

Longisland , the boat hits 40 plus mph , I'm thinking it may be over powered? Or I have steering problems

Back